Portland To The Grand Canyon Via Lolo And Beartooth Pass

Sweet trip, I'm leaving next week to go from Phoenix to Seattle by way of Bonneville for speed week. Hope to catch some of those roads.

• Member Contributer

Great pics, thanks! It's been too many years since I rode our western states, I'm getting the itch for some big sky country.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking us along on the ride! Great photos and awesome trip.

A map linky would be sweet too.

Cheers!

Thanks! I didn't create a Google map for the whole trip but I'd be happy to detail the route for any days you were wondering about.

Sweet trip, I'm leaving next week to go from Phoenix to Seattle by way of Bonneville for speed week. Hope to catch some of those roads.

Hope you get to hit some of nice roads in central Oregon, I didn't take many pics of my home state but there is a lot of great riding here.

nuHLIY.jpg

xgG4lD.jpg

Great pics, thanks! It's been too many years since I rode our western states, I'm getting the itch for some big sky country.

I love riding in Montana, lived there for over 30 years, but I'm always shocked by the huge quantity of big bugs that splatter your helmet when I ride there now :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Noticed your one piece handlebar, I have the LSL kit which is similar. Sounds like you need to mount a radar detector those handlebars with all the LEO attention you seem to find. :)

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Noticed your one piece handlebar, I have the LSL kit which is similar. Sounds like you need to mount a radar detector those handlebars with all the LEO attention you seem to find. :)

The Renthal superbike bars mod was the best thing ever to happen to my VFR. I can ride all day, day after day with that change. Modding the seat helps of course.

Do radar detectors really help? I got lectured, strobed, and multiple headlight flashes on this trip but no tickets. Pretty obvious I'm incapable of growing up, smartening up, or slowing down so I need to do something.

exlz.jpg

• Member Contributer

It's unfair!!!

You guys own all the great roads on this earth!!!!

you'll just have to come back soon, my friend

• Member Contributer

I use the Adaptiv TPX radar detector, made for motorcycles, water proof, big buttons etc. I like that it has a bright flashing Red light you mount in your field of vision to alert you if radar or laser is detected, because your not going to hear the audible alarm. It works great, I use it in my car as well. You can select only the radar band cops use, so you don't get false alarms like the older units that went off all the time in town. It will detect LEO's around corners even before you see them. Tickets aren't cheap anymore so helps justify the cost of the radar detector.

Its a nice reassurance when you want to pick up the pace. And I agree its hard to do the speed limit on a VFR!!

Noticed you live in OR. We did a big ride through OR earlier this summer and my radar detector was going off all the time riding through the reservations. The tribal police must like to cash in on speeders in the endless 55mph zones. Glad I had it, lots of unmarked police cars.

DSC02532

• Member Contributer

Great ride report! I recognize many of those spots. Posts like this make me wish I just had more time for these kinds of trips.

Awesome thread. Thanks!

Thanks for extending my bucket list , great pic's ....

Amazing. Just amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Great ride report! I recognize many of those spots. Posts like this make me wish I just had more time for these kinds of trips.

I really appreciate the favorable comments, most welcome for the share :beer:

I use the Adaptiv TPX radar detector, made for motorcycles, water proof, big buttons etc. I like that it has a bright flashing Red light you mount in your field of vision to alert you if radar or laser is detected, because your not going to hear the audible alarm. It works great, I use it in my car as well. You can select only the radar band cops use, so you don't get false alarms like the older units that went off all the time in town. It will detect LEO's around corners even before you see them. Tickets aren't cheap anymore so helps justify the cost of the radar detector.

Its a nice reassurance when you want to pick up the pace. And I agree its hard to do the speed limit on a VFR!!

Noticed you live in OR. We did a big ride through OR earlier this summer and my radar detector was going off all the time riding through the reservations. The tribal police must like to cash in on speeders in the endless 55mph zones. Glad I had it, lots of unmarked police cars.

That one definitely looks like the way to go, $300 seems a little steep until you consider a ticket for going over the ton in Oregon is $1000 and potentially a lot of heartache. Not sure if it would encourage even more scofflaw behavior, though :blush:

Which highway was the "Triple Digit Sweepers" shot taken on? 191 one the east side of the lake, or 530 on the west side? Looks like my kind of road!

That pic is on Hwy 191 on the east side, lots of fun rolling on the gas in that section of the trip. The descent into Vernal Ut is a nice follow up of getting your lean on :cool:

• Member Contributer

This is a compendium of a good many of the "must ride" roads that should be on everyone's list in the states West of the Rockies. Nicely done. :beer:

• Member Contributer

What a great ride! I've been fortunate to ride many(most) of the roads on your route, and look forward to the next time.

This is a compendium of a good many of the "must ride" roads that should be on everyone's list in the states West of the Rockies. Nicely done. :beer:

What a great ride! I've been fortunate to ride many(most) of the roads on your route, and look forward to the next time.

Definitely agree that parts of this route are choice rides. Even if you have traveled the roads previously, they are just as much fun the next time and the scenery is always a little different on another day :tour:

Archived