My Naked Vfr Project

vfrAustin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, black is slightly less effective when there is air flow, but far more effective when there is no air flow, and that's from both videos.

My TLR rad gets plenty of air flow, so it cant hurt. Besides, black looks heaps more coolerer.

Who wants to paint their side mounts in the name of internet science?

• Member Contributer

Very nice. Now if you have real balls, drill a hole in it and instert meat thermometer. Lol! Get a drilllllllllll

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Update, I have been using the left side rad and didn't overheat, but I can tell you that it wants to. The beads of sweat from my forehead when in stop and go traffic are unbearable.

• Installed a larger oil cooler, already forgot from what bike.
  • Just ordered race tech springs for the front. Holy crap that VTR1000 front is crazy soft.
  • I am changing the single 5th Gen rad to a unit from a VFR750 with fan and stat switch.
  • New gell battery
  • Electronic temp gauge is in the mail

I fought the urge to buy a KTM Super Duke so I am taking this down to Tmac. I need to know that she is going to be reliable and suspension is sorted. Considering I am down to one street bike, I will be taking her to the track this year. She needs to be ready.

• Member Contributer

Update, I have been using the left side rad and didn't overheat, but I can tell you that it wants to. The beads of sweat from my forehead when in stop and go traffic are unbearable.

• Installed a larger oil cooler, already forgot from what bike. Done
  • Just ordered race tech springs for the front. Holy crap that VTR1000 front is crazy soft. Done. Wow!
  • I am changing the single 5th Gen rad to a unit from a VFR750 with fan and stat switch. Done
  • New gell battery Done
  • Electronic temp gauge is in the mail shit didn't work.

I fought the urge to buy a KTM Super Duke so I am taking this down to Tmac. I need to know that she is going to be reliable and suspension is sorted. Considering I am down to one street bike, I will be taking her to the track this year. She needs to be ready.

The list is done. Ready for TMac!

• Member Contributer

LOl, pics on the way. I don't believe you are up to anything either...

• Member Contributer

LOl, pics on the way. I don't believe you are up to anything either...

post-25867-0-18299000-1431139010.jpg

post-25867-0-89155500-1431138302.jpg

post-25867-0-65965800-1431138396.jpg

post-25867-0-02122200-1431138464.jpg

• Member Contributer

A

• Just ordered race tech springs for the front. Holy crap that VTR1000 front is crazy soft.
  • I am changing the single 5th Gen rad to a unit from a VFR750 with fan and stat switch.
  • New gell battery

Austin,

If that is the stock rear rotor, I was checking rear bearings and replacing cush drive this winter when i took off the rotor and spacer, and was shocked at how heavy it was 3lbs12oz. Changed the rear rotor to a Galfer $135.00 1lb14oz. Reduced almost 2lbs of unsprung weight.

• Member Contributer

A

• New gell battery

Austin,

If that is the stock rear rotor, I was checking rear bearings and replacing cush drive this winter when i took off the rotor and spacer, and was shocked at how heavy it was 3lbs12oz. Changed the rear rotor to a Galfer $135.00 1lb14oz. Reduced almost 2lbs of unsprung weight.

Thanks Griff.

A VTR1000F weighs the best part of 30kg less than a VFR, and if it's got stock springs in it then it's suitable for up to 75kg rider only, on a VTR! Yep it would have been all at sea on the VFR. But easy to improve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Got a lot of little things done and suspension works like a charm after a bit of testing and adjustments.

Cooling is right on par.

Tail is meant to look like it is from a vintage privateer bike. Some may not get it, but I like it a lot. Hand panted number then slightly distressed.

A number of brisk rides under the belt and I love this bike.

A few nagging items are changed and I am ready for TMac

post-25867-0-31115700-1432600664.jpg

post-25867-0-88640500-1432600691.jpg

post-25867-0-00110200-1432600707.jpg

post-25867-0-49398800-1432600730.jpg

post-25867-0-12077400-1432600756.jpg

When i signed up here, there was almost no completed front mount conversions, lots of half done ones, though. Now, you have completed the most obvious one using a 750 rad.

Wish I'd thought of it, nice.

How wide is the 750 rad? can you post a front on pic?

• Member Contributer

When i signed up here, there was almost no completed front mount conversions, lots of half done ones, though. Now, you have completed the most obvious one using a 750 rad.

Hey Keef. I will add a front pic tomorrow. The bike was well tested and worked very well. The 4th gen rad is great. I also have the five row oil cooler. High revs all day in warm temps and not a worry. Front springs transformed the bike. Also, Weight was never a driving factor but was intended to be a bonus. She weighs 427 lbs soaking wet with just shy of a full talk of gas. That makes a fun ride!

Is it tomorrow yet?

i have an MT09 as a company bike as well, that's about 110hp and 420lbs give or take, so i know that you don't need huge hp if the bike is light enough.

• Member Contributer

post-25867-0-42830600-1433380982.jpg

post-25867-0-27422900-1433381145.jpg

for future mad scientists, I have one of these, and it may be a problem solver. its off an xv800, and designed to be vertical.

$_35.JPG

• Member Contributer

for future mad scientists, I have one of these, and it may be a problem solver. its off an xv800, and designed to be vertical.

$_35.JPG

What the...Ohhhh, ouuuuu....

Thanks Austin, looks about as wide as the sv rad that reed used.

I love seeing front mounts.

Archived