My Naked Vfr Project

vfrAustin

• Member Contributer

I wanted to do a naked VFR for a long time now and just needed the motivation to do it. To define motivation in this case is to destroy all the good fairings I own on this bike. Job done, now on to the project. This is now my second bike so there is no urgency but I do plan to finish in the next couple months.

Right now I am thinking very economical simple stuff to get done

• Single front radiator install TBD
  • Reroute oil cooler TBD
  • Headlight TBD
  • I did the tail last winter
  • I did the forks last winter
  • Single braided line in the swinger last winter
  • Stripped down what is not needed and or damaged.
  • Tail will be repaired and reused
  • Reduced most unwanted wiring
  • Ordered up all the parts needed to do the SB bar conversion and mirrors

post-25867-0-18356500-1405223015.jpgpost-25867-0-33768800-1405223047.jpgpost-25867-0-73668400-1405223054.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using a tl1000r top rad as a front mount after ditching the side rads. It's mounted where the old oil cooler was, and used an sp1 oil cooler mounted low behind the headers. I works brilliantly.

PalladinReed is using and SV 650 rad, and a generic oil cooler mounted in the same place as mine. I advised him to go with an oil cooler with generic fittings - modifying the motor side of the Vfr lines and then mating them to my hand bent hard lines for the sp1 cooler was a pain in the arse, his lines were much easier to do, apparently.

The tlr cooler is bigger, and works better, but the SV is much smaller and sexier. I'm thinking of deleting my oil cooler since the rad works so well.

And HELL YEAH! Another naked viffer!

• Member Contributer

I'm using a tl1000r top rad as a front mount after ditching the side rads. It's mounted where the old oil cooler was, and used an sp1 oil cooler mounted low behind the headers. I works brilliantly.

PalladinReed is using and SV 650 rad, and a generic oil cooler mounted in the same place as mine. I advised him to go with an oil cooler with generic fittings - modifying the motor side of the Vfr lines and then mating them to my hand bent hard lines for the sp1 cooler was a pain in the arse, his lines were much easier to do, apparently.

The tlr cooler is bigger, and works better, but the SV is much smaller and sexier. I'm thinking of deleting my oil cooler since the rad works so well.

And HELL YEAH! Another naked viffer!

Cruising the net for the rite deal on the Rad. I am thinking the SV right now... I followed both of your builds closely because I am not in the league of Seb and Andy but want a good functional stripped down bike that I can tear on all day. I am very excited to get her going :woohoo: Funny how I wasn't bummed at all after my crash because now nothing is holding me back from a simple build and I get a fun new moto to play with. I have been looking at the FZ8 and fighting the urge. Riding position may end up similar but I get the V4 drive.

Sorry I forgot the bar info... motorcycle superstore is where I got my Superbike bar for my cb, it was under $30 shipped

No worries. Got the Outlaw clamps and some generic low rise bar in Black. Bar end mirrors.

Don't look at the fz8.

The FZ09 is bloody awesome.

I have got a home made pair block off plate on the front cylinders, the TL rad would be probably touch the pair valve cover otherwise.

• Member Contributer

So sorry to hear about your wreck. Glad you're ok.

Well, everyone here probably knows I'm all about this by now. Naked all the way. It's a cool platform to customize in this way as not many people do naked vfrs (esp. 5g). And really shaved down they are nimble, narrow, and sexy.

Just some images of my simple sv650 (2003+ iirc) with shaved and cut down brackets. Mounted with some spacers from the two bolt holes up under the neck of the stem and mounted to a 8ga steel bracket. Easy peezy. Hardest part is finding good coolant hoses that are preformed or going with a reinforced hose like I did. Otherwise this conversion is SO easy, has good clearance and I had never gotten past 96C in stop and go in the city on a 90 degree F day with no fan whatsoever. It's certainly not fully proven or track tested but it seems pretty damn solid.

post-28606-0-72778500-1405354122.jpg

post-28606-0-53587200-1405354138.jpg

Otherwise oil cooler was a bit harder. I used a Ducati 750ss unit but I'm sure any unit can be adapted. The lines I got turned up by a hydraulics shop and they took two tries to get right because the lines I had made the first time weren't long enough and still pretty darn inflexible. They cost me about $90 for both tries if I remember right. They have to disassemble the old line for the oil pan fitting but it didn't seem to be too hard a job for them. Just a bear getting the lengths and angle right.

post-28606-0-29961700-1405354149.jpg

post-28606-0-20065900-1405354161.jpg

Otherwise, definitely get rid of the lbs and the PVC. No doubt. Just extra stuffs in the way IMO.

Follow these few simple steps to naked bliss.

post-28606-0-75668500-1405354178.jpg

post-28606-0-43675700-1405354981.jpg

Another partial of the rad and cooler and lines.

Good luck buddy, I'll be watching

• Member Contributer

Hey Pal, I was hoping I could get you to take those pics. Thanks! I was getting gas today and a SV650 was parked for sale so I look a long look at the rad. Perfect! All the pair crap is already gone and the COP is done too. Any help on what hoses you finally used would be outstanding.

:beer:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Still lots to do and test but despite all I do she insists on running.

• Radiator from the non fan side installed at the front. Fan has been adapted to mount up. I will switch this with a toggle. Temps TDB...
  • SB bars added
  • All non essencial wiring and crap gone
  • Oil cooler is plumbed up and relocated
  • Keyed Ignition is gone. It will be a toggle

post-25867-0-38894400-1407974087.jpgpost-25867-0-01034200-1407974101.jpgpost-25867-0-45525000-1407974111.jpg

Like I said, still lots to do but she is running and no leaks.

Better pics when she is closer to done

Stay tuned...

• Member Contributer

Re using the OEM rad is a great idea.

looking forward to the finished result.

I bought another rad but just couldn't get it to sit right. The one I used was in great condition and wanted to give it a shot. Hoses are all nice and neat. I relocated the oil cooler. Cut sections out of the hard steal line and bridged the ends with clamps and rubber line. The bars will make it good for the longer trips. My YZF is f-ing killing my back. Focusing on the function first then some cosmetics later. Not looking to do anything fancy, us a tear it up rider.

Thanks

I'm a carpenter :)

Looking Good Mr.Austin!

Getting there little by little. You know, takes time.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

post-25867-0-97811400-1410726600.jpg

Went for a ride on the naked today. Seems to do what it is meant to do.

Build Mantras, form follows function, Use what you have. Cosmetics last.

post-25867-0-50323000-1410719195.jpg

post-25867-0-07564300-1410719321.jpg

post-25867-0-08847600-1410719346.jpg

post-25867-0-94330700-1410719365.jpg

Still needs temp gauge. I have rad on a toggle.

Ignition is on toggles.

Paint is later this fall.

I saw a youtube vid by mighty car mods about whether a black or polished inter cooler works better, an thought he results would be helpful here.

They found that a black cooler shed heat a lot faster when there was no air flow (like slow moving traffic) and black or polished shed the same amount of heat when there was air flow.

Good enough reason to paint it black, mate.

And i don't think you'll need a temp guage. If you put the fan switch in an in line hose adapter in the hose on the right side of the engine, it will turn on and off according to the water temp as it comes out of the engine, not after it has been cooled by the rad.

I'm using the standard switch in a hose adapter, and have a koso temp guage sensor in another adapter right next to it. Fan comes on around 100 celsius.

God I hope that stock radiator set up works. Keep us updated because I'm planning to do the same thing! What concerns me is the distance from the bottom of the radiator to the front fender; are they going to crash into each when the forks compress? Thanks for all the great pics!!

OH!, and why do most people get custom tubing made at a hydraulics shop for the oil cooler? Are there any concerns with chopping and connecting it like you did with a rubber hose and clamps? Do you plan to keep it like that long term?

• Member Contributer

There is clearance to the front fender.This is the main concern when setting up the brackets. It's tight because the fan needs room behind. I rode for hours and the temps seemed fine. I am going to double the size of the oil cooler. The stock unit is small.

I cut and clamped the oil cooler lines in minutes. Used a good quality hose and works a charm. With the location the hose is very short and neat.

My TLR rad works like a champ, but is bigger and wider. Definately uglier.

Paint the rad black so it sheds more heat when you are stuck in slow moving traffic, and you can also try nomex honeycomb as a rad guard. They use it in speedway cars. It made my setup run cooler, because it is small honeycomb shaped tubes that are a half inch thick, when the air hits it is can only go through the rad, it can't slide around, over or under it. It seems to make a more laminar air flow through the rad. I've got some in front of my low mount oil cooler as well. And it can be spray painted.

I got mine from a place in Australia, the link below is the first US thing that popped up on google.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Honeycomb-Radiator-Protector-19-x-26-Inch,3545.html

Archived