My 4Th Gen Project

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

SS Brake and clutch lines, Samco coolant hoses. Rims, tires, Seb-ified clutch cover coming soon! Got my wheels back from powder coat as well, I chose to get them both re-done with the 1991 VFR factory gold/bronze. Waiting for new wheel bearings and seals, then they'll be ready for their tires and get mounted up. Can't wait to have a rolling chassis again!

post-29645-0-53532100-1419280371.jpg

post-29645-0-75515700-1419474564.jpg

post-29645-0-58134100-1419916470.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I can call the powdercoater tomorrow and find out.

Shameless plug for the powder coating company:

The company, Texas Performance Coatings, out of Texas City, Tx, was an absolute pleasure to work with. They previously did my triple trees and clip-ons, and walked away impressed with their work, but nothing noteworthy about their customer service until I took them my rims. They did not have the particular gold color that I wanted in stock, so they did a special order for a color that their lead tech and I decided looked most similar to the 1991 OEM gold color. They had my rims for about a month, a fairly lengthy time, but I wasn't bothered since I knew their work was top-notch based on my aforementioned triple trees. When i went to pick them up is when they told me what had happened.

The original color that we had ordered came out darker than what I had described, so they called a Honda dealership and somehow (I work at a Yamaha/Honda dealership and we couldn't find this information in the fiche, otherwise I would have done this in the first place) got the Honda color code, they then called their powder supplier and made another special order for the correct powder. They then sandblasted the originally sprayed gold off, and re-sprayed my rims with the new correct color. All without any additional charge to me, not that there should have been, but to take the initiative and get the color code from honda, make another special powder order, re-blast and re-spray my rims all without any extra fees was just amazing. If you're in the Houston area, I really can't recommend anyone else to take care of your powder coat needs. Plus they're a bunch of good ol' boys too.

End shameless plug.

Can't wait to get that clutch cover back Seb, got my new gaskets ready to go. I also finally got my new bearings for my front wheel (apparently Honda's parts warehouses give generous vacations to their employees) so the tire can be mounted/balanced and shoved into place! I should have a rolling chassis by the end of the week!

I've figured out the wiring for the RC51 gauge cluster. Now I just have to figure out the VFR's harness and get everything to match up.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to how I should go about removing the dent in the gas tank? I've heard about using ice and water, suction cups, and several other methods, but a second opinion never hurts.

post-29645-0-64434400-1421128205.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can call the powdercoater tomorrow and find out.

Shameless plug for the powder coating company:

The company, Texas Performance Coatings, out of Texas City, Tx, was an absolute pleasure to work with. They previously did my triple trees and clip-ons, and walked away impressed with their work, but nothing noteworthy about their customer service until I took them my rims. They did not have the particular gold color that I wanted in stock, so they did a special order for a color that their lead tech and I decided looked most similar to the 1991 OEM gold color. They had my rims for about a month, a fairly lengthy time, but I wasn't bothered since I knew their work was top-notch based on my aforementioned triple trees. When i went to pick them up is when they told me what had happened.

The original color that we had ordered came out darker than what I had described, so they called a Honda dealership and somehow (I work at a Yamaha/Honda dealership and we couldn't find this information in the fiche, otherwise I would have done this in the first place) got the Honda color code, they then called their powder supplier and made another special order for the correct powder. They then sandblasted the originally sprayed gold off, and re-sprayed my rims with the new correct color. All without any additional charge to me, not that there should have been, but to take the initiative and get the color code from honda, make another special powder order, re-blast and re-spray my rims all without any extra fees was just amazing. If you're in the Houston area, I really can't recommend anyone else to take care of your powder coat needs. Plus they're a bunch of good ol' boys too.

End shameless plug.

Can't wait to get that clutch cover back Seb, got my new gaskets ready to go. I also finally got my new bearings for my front wheel (apparently Honda's parts warehouses give generous vacations to their employees) so the tire can be mounted/balanced and shoved into place! I should have a rolling chassis by the end of the week!

I've figured out the wiring for the RC51 gauge cluster. Now I just have to figure out the VFR's harness and get everything to match up.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to how I should go about removing the dent in the gas tank? I've heard about using ice and water, suction cups, and several other methods, but a second opinion never hurts.

Awesome, I have a powder coater near me that has taken good care of me and my friends. Did they divulge the color code by chance?

I'm so happy right now. My Seb-ified clutch cover is in the mail as I type. It'll go off to powdercoat, then I can put that on and take off the tin foil.

Also, how the hell do i remove the centerstand, is there a pin I have to hammer out or what?

post-29645-0-95420700-1421370916.jpg

post-29645-0-45659600-1421370927.jpg

I got the clutch plate done the same sulfur gold color as my rims. I'll be taking the clutch cover to powder coat as soon as I get a chance, I'm thinking matte black for the clutch cover and stator cover, and getting the clutch plate bolts done in a metallic red.

• Member Contributer

Or use countersunk bolts with red washers??

Like these (in blue; I have a set of red ones too)

post-8974-0-94823100-1421594629.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just ordered a set of the red countersunk washers, should look good compared to my gold clutch plate. Powder coating the cover itself will have to wait until more funding becomes available. I've got another goodie on it's way to Houston, but I'll wait until I can post pictures to reveal what exactly it is.

Liking this a lot! I have a project VFR that's going nowhere fast. Might street fighter the bastard like you are!! Looking forward to further updates on this :)

• Member Contributer

Staintune high mount and new clutch cover (post-Seb-ification)

I don't want to boast, but hot damn it looks good!

Very nice! Boast away.

Did you come up with a solution for the gap between seat and tank?

Staintune high mount and new clutch cover (post-Seb-ification)

I don't want to boast, but hot damn it looks good!

Very nice! Boast away.

Did you come up with a solution for the gap between seat and tank?

I think I'm just going to leave it for now, the seat need to be reupholstered so I'll have them add a few inches to the front to fill the gap.

Did you have to change the bearings for the front end as I'm buying a 2005 CBR600RR front end for my VFR. Any issues with radiator clearance etc?

Same bearings and rad clearance should not be an issue. The forks are pretty short but you'll have room, especially if you tweak the mount brackets.

I have a couple front fenders for those forks if you need one.

Archived