My 4Th Gen Project

Like many others, I was inspired by ApexAndy's work to customize my VFR. In my case, not only am I upgrading my bike, but I'm also rebuilding it after a 60mph lowside.

post-29645-0-79272100-1404713632.jpg

That's what she looked like immediately following the crash. Bent forks, and the front fairings are toast, as are the mid fairings (not cracked all the way, but they're scratched to hell and basically rubbish) She sat at a friend's house for a little over a month before I managed to bribe another friend with a truck into picking it up and delivering it back to Houston for me.

post-29645-0-76742100-1404713871.jpg

Another angle of the carnage, this time she's under my parent's back patio

post-29645-0-37575000-1404713929.jpg

My first "tear down" session

post-29645-0-06695100-1404714031.jpg

After a few more sessions, mind you I'm still in a sling at this point.

post-29645-0-96671600-1404714143.jpg

And this is where she's currently at.

Waiting for the new front suspension springs to come in so I can tear into the forks, get them rebuilt, and get them mounted up.

So what I've got in mind is somewhat similar to zefarton44's cafe project, actually a lot similar. What I want to end up with is something I can eventually do a little bit of track time with, but also something that's not too impractical for everyday use. So far for the build I've got:

3rd gen wheel

CBR 929 front end

Springs for said 929 front end, so it won't be so squishy

Superhawk clutch M/C

CBR929 M/C

Stainless steel lines for brakes and clutch

Yoshimura RS3 left side exhaust from a Hayabusa

A friend of mine recently had his Z1000 totaled due to a crack in the frame, so I'm going to attempt to scavenge his subframe/seat and see if I can somehow make that work with a custom bracket or two.

Anyways, I'll keep y'all posted as the project slowly but surely moves along. I'm open to suggestions for pretty much anything and everything, so let me know what you think.

Edit: I've also got some leftovers that are salvageable, so if anyone is looking for cheap parts, let me know.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

NACA's are the best but your looks pretty farked...................... but if the frame and engine are fine then cafe racer it is.

Sebspeed can do something nice with your scuffed clutch cover..................

Oooh. That looked a nasty crash. Hope you're OK & mending well.

I've just stripped off a set of forks from my VFR this weekend & just read you'll be doing a CBR929 front end conversion. I did one this weekend using an RC51 (SP2) front end - check my thread to see details.

If you need more info on specifics to do with this conversion I should be able to help whilst it's still fresh on my mind. I believe 954 & CBR1000 front ends are similar. RVT1000R front wheels also fit the CBR1000RR & vice versa, not sure about earlier models. Or just do an RVT1000R front end conversion, the brakes are 320mm as standard.

Dutchy - Had to look up what you meant by NACA's, and yeah, they're in beyond rough shape. And what is this black magic regarding my clutch cover that you speak of?

TheStig - I've already got the suspension sorted, just waiting for parts to come in. The bike came with what I believe to be a Type IV Ohlins rear shock(remote reservoir and remote preload adjuster), and I'm having it fully serviced/refurbished as part of my rebuild. Thanks for the offer though.

Response to your ninja edit :) : Everything I've read online makes it seem like the 929 front end is essentially a bolt on project, but we'll see when the time comes

• Member Contributer

What? You have not seen Seb's arts&craft? :-)

post-8974-0-72001700-1404719640.jpg

(painted the pressure plate myself, you can pick your own color)

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

I have been called worse....... I have been called a banker.... :goofy:

• 1 month later...

Took my carbs into work earlier this week and took off the float bowls. Much to my surprise, they were clean as a whistle and so were the jets! I ran them through our ultrasonic washer just for good measure. Upon closer inspection I noticed that part of the choke mechanism was broken, so I've had to order this part: 16169-MZ5-670, which will require a complete tear down to replace :mad:

On a lighter note, after this weekend I'll have the front end together! Then I'll have to wait for my rear shock to come back before I can put her down on two wheels again and drop the motor for an old fashion scrub down to get rid of all the soot and grease.

I may have had a little spill while changing the oil... :goofy:

Anyways...complete CBR 929 RR front end with RC51 clip-ons. 929 brake master cylinder and superchicken clutch master cylinder.

post-29645-0-70314400-1407640138.jpg

post-29645-0-16485100-1407640142.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How did the fork upgrade go? Was it as much a bolt on as you were thinking?

Pretty much, the main thing I'm noticing now is that the steering stops will hit my radiator once it's re-mounted. If you get a set of forks, be sure to tear them down and inspect the internals. The bushings in my set of forks were toast, so I had to order a new set for each fork leg and put them in. I also put in some heavier RaceTech springs while it was apart.

In other news, I'm getting my rear shock back at the end of next week. Then I'll be able to do a number of things! September should be a busy month for me :491:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an idea as to how many jet sizes I'll have to bump up when I install my dual Yoshimura exhausts? I'm planning to remove the snorkel on the airbox to help compensate for the less restrictive exhaust, but I'll also need to increase the amount of fuel to compensate for the newly increased airflow. What did most of y'all end up doing with your aftermarket pipes?

• Member Contributer

On my 4th gen, I removed the snorkel and fitted the hi-mount Akrapovic. I have not changed a thing on the jetting. No drama.

post-8974-0-67405200-1410764053.jpg

Hi ! I'm glad to see another cafe racer project, even if it's due to a crash...

For the jetting don't bother yourself, I removed the snorkel and fitted the most free exhaust you can ever fit on a viffer, and it's working great ! May be a bit too rich according to explosions noises when reving down :laugh:

I'll come in San Antonio next tuesday and I'll stay there for 2 month, as soon as I will have bought a car don't hesitate to contact me I'd be really glad to come help you with your bike !

And a little suggestion, try to get a CBR 1000 front fender (after 2008), because this one is really too big !

FINALLY picked up my rebuilt rear shock! The bright yellow sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the filth that the rest of the bike is covered in.

B08AXPU.jpg

Then I got to wondering what this FrankenViffer is going to end up looking like...

plkCuWh.jpg

Needless to say I'm pretty damn excited about the next few months.

I realized I haven't kept up that well with updates:

Threw on an HRC kill switch and mated an R6 throttle tube to an '05 CBR1000 throttle housing. The housing needs to be dremeled out a little bit to allow the enormous throttle tube to twist easily but that's not a big deal.

Got my RC51 gauges as well (not pictured), waiting to find a half decent gauge sub-harness before I delve into figuring out the electronics and wiring (which is going to be....fun?...yeah, fun)

Also realized that the headlight mounts I ordered don't stick out far enough to allow clearance for the headlight, derp.

Next off is doing the PAIR valve delete, ordering some Samco coolant hoses, and figuring out what to use as a coolant reservoir instead of the hideous milk jug.

Hi ! I'm glad to see another cafe racer project, even if it's due to a crash...

For the jetting don't bother yourself, I removed the snorkel and fitted the most free exhaust you can ever fit on a viffer, and it's working great ! May be a bit too rich according to explosions noises when reving down :laugh:

I'll come in San Antonio next tuesday and I'll stay there for 2 month, as soon as I will have bought a car don't hesitate to contact me I'd be really glad to come help you with your bike !

And a little suggestion, try to get a CBR 1000 front fender (after 2008), because this one is really too big !

I'm actually basing a lot of my mods from your build and apexandy's build, so thanks for being original so copy cats like me can steal your ideas :goofy:

That sounds good, I'd rather not have to fiddle with the carbs more than I already have, I ended up breaking one of the plastic bits on the choke mechanism and had to separate the carbs (fml...) to replace the linkage. Also ran them through my work's ultrasonic cleaner even though they were spotless anyways.

Oooo I might take you up on that, don't tempt me haha.

And damn...that fender was nearly $100 on eBay. I tried an '05 fender and it didn't match so I just assumed none of the newer ones worked, but you're right, it does look a bit bulky on a nekkid/cafe bike.

• Member Contributer

holy cow was there a lot of gunk behind the clutch slave cylinder!

so get that cutter/grinder out of the cupboard!!!

post-8974-0-41907000-1411546146.jpg

Got my rear brake reinstalled after noticing the torque arm bolt's thread was stripped. Working at a dealership and having access to discounted OEM parts has proven quite useful throughout this build ;) Finished off the PAIR delete with a set of block off plates and gaskets for a Hayabusa from JDA Customs on eBay. Also got an '09 CBR 1000 RR fender in the mail today. I'll post more pics when the progress is more substantive.

• 2 weeks later...

I've sort of hit a road block and I'm not too sure what to do. After mounting the Z1000 subframe, I've noticed that I have a 3 inch gap between the back of the tank and the beginning of the seat, as seen in the picture. Does anyone have any idea what to do? I've thought of getting the seat reshaped to close the gap, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any better/more creative ideas.

post-29645-0-81911500-1413234658.jpg

Supposed to get my triple trees back from powdercoating next week. Got my cbr 900 rr rearsets in today and found out after attempting to mount the right one that the main bracket is bent...grumble grumble...

I'm also going to try something different with the shift linkage, I want a GP/ reverse style shifter so something more than a few spacers will be required to make it work.

Again, I'll post more pics when progress is more tangible.

• 3 weeks later...

holy cow was there a lot of gunk behind the clutch slave cylinder!

so get that cutter/grinder out of the cupboard!!!

attachicon.gifIMAG0212.jpg

I've managed to put my new Dremel to good use! I've trimmed down the radiator/fairing mounts and I'm working on making a bracket for the rear shock's preload adjuster. I'll likely sit down some time this week and figure out how I want to trim down the fat on the front sprocket guard, but it'll probably end up looking a lot like how you did yours.

Archived