How To Return '98 Vfr To Service After 9 Months Of No Riding

Hey y'all,

I have a '98 vfr and I was wondering if you have any tips on what I should do before I start riding it again regularly. New coolant and oil? Turn off the fuel pump to just crank the engine a bit to get the oil flowing?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Josh

• Member Contributer

1 - Charge the battery

2 - Open the gas tank and see if the gas is stale - Smell it. Add fresh gas if possible.

3 - Start the bike

4 - Change oil and coolant if they are due to be changed only

5 - Go riding.

• Member Contributer

A lot depends on where and how it was stored ,outside under a tarp in moist weather will make a huge difference in preparation to ride again .

• Member Contributer

A lot depends on where and how it was stored ,outside under a tarp in moist weather will make a huge difference in preparation to ride again .

+1

If she's been dry, and away from ozone the only thing you really need to be concerned about is the fuel, and glycol-based fluids. Ad some fresh fuel with a bit of Seafoam, new brake fluid, new coolant, and go ride.

If she's been exposed to moisture, and/or ozone (nearby electric motors) check the electrical system, and rubber parts.

• Member Contributer

Check the tires to see if they're dried out or not.

+1 9 months is not long enough for major none maintenance problem to develop.

• Member Contributer

:blush:

read that as 9 years. Guess it's time for bed. Don't get old.

• Member Contributer

Check the air box for dead dear parts I mean rodent nests. They've been known to invade through air intakes and make themselves at home. Esp. if stored outside or in a detached building, esp. in winter weather.

• Member Contributer

:blush:

read that as 9 years. Guess it's time for bed. Don't get old.

:goofy:

My grandfather use to say " grown old is not for pu$$ies ..

• Member Contributer

Crank her up, go for a local shake down ride and add some fresh fuel. Checking the air box for rodent nests isn't a bad idea since it's not uncommon.

• Member Contributer

Great thank ya'll for the tips. What damage does O'zone do? I've heard mixed views with regards to the problems with old fuel. What damage can old fuel potentailly cause?

Ozone damages rubber, and can accelerate corrosion on metal. Modern fuels that contain ethanol can experience phase separation. The raw alcohol attracts moisture, and can damage plastic/rubber parts in the fuel system.

Archived