Picking Up A 95 Tomorrow

Picking up a 1995 tomorrow morning. Is in pretty decent shape with 54K on the clock. Have been reading up on it for the last several days and plan on getting the charging stuff ordered and on the way. This is just going to be a goof around bike since my main ride is a GL1800. Have always wanted a VFR and the price was right on this one and it needed a better home. Looking forward to riding and working on it.

Marty

Welcome Marty

Terrific second/play bike, you'll love it, and don't be surprised if you find yourself planning trips and tours specific to it and its capabilities - as great as the Wing is, the VFR does 'tour' brilliantly, and there's always 'sport' on tap when you feel like it...

Picked the bike up and rode about 50 miles home. As much fun as I thought it would be The only thing I noticed was the chain seemed to really hop around in first and second while accelerating. I plan on new chain and sprockets tomorrow so hopefully that will do the trick.

Marty

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. GDCs are the best. Awaiting pics with Wild Anticipation.

Went to a local shop for a oil filter and brake fluid and noticed 3 1995 VFR's in the lot. All 3 belong to employee's and the shop owner has a Gen3 as well. I should be in good hands if problems arise. My R/R has a CPU fan on it so hopefully I won't have any immediate charging issues. Bled the brakes and the clutch. Clutch reservoir had brown sludge in the bottom which took awhile to clean out. Don't know how well that can be bled if there is a bunch of crap in the line. Brake levers much better after fresh fluid. Great site thanks for the help.

Marty

post-30497-0-98941500-1402100973.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome and really great to see someone keep a Gen 4 going. You'll find it to be just one of the best all-round street bikes made. At 54K it's only now hitting it's stride...mines got over 125K miles and runs like it did when I bought it.

You're on track fixing the R/R right away, which means you're probably familiar with Eastern Beaver. I'd also look for tail section cracks and get after them ASAP. I'm pretty new to the site too, but I assume there are plenty of archive discussions on the tail crack issues. The local wrenches with Gen4's may give you the scoop on this too. If not, start a discussion, I'll have plenty to say.

Archived