Anyone Tried These Faring Kits?

Guest retrotech

• Member Contributer

I ordered one a few years ago and had it painted per my instructions. Considering the cost of OEM replacement plastic, aftermarket fairing kits @ $500.00 +/- plus shipping (can almost be $200-$300) are probably worth it. Unfortunately fit and finish are not up to par in most cases. The plastic used is thinner, the mounting tabs are glued on and don't come close to fitting existing chassis mounts, the threaded inserts are in some cases completely different thread pitch and diameter.

I wish I had the $$$ I spent on the kit which is sitting in my basement right now.

• Member Contributer

If memory serves me correctly, Aliexpress is a "middleman" that connects people buying goods, with a manufacturer allowing them to buy without the need to be setup as a retailer and still allow them to get the wholesale price. My business partner has used them to get certain electronic/computer components. Most likely these are the dubious Chinese fairing found on eBay and like mentioned above, do have fitment and quality issues.

• Member Contributer

I agree with Duc, that being said from the pictures it does look like the quality is better then most aftermarket. I just took a set of Chinese garbage off of my bike that the PO had put on after a low side. Cheaply made ,as Mac stated above ,tabs were glued on and easily broke off. Just wait , buy OEM piece by piece as they pop up , you will eventually assemble a whole set that can be painted and used with a lot less fuss and aggravation .

Now, more companies give you a choice; either press fit construction, where the plastic is more brittle and the tabs are glued on. Or, they're injection moulded ABS similar to OEM. It's similar in quality and finish, but more expensive then press fit...

• Member Contributer

As a follow-up to my earlier email, the fairing I ordered was from Nicecycle, an American company that fronts for the Chinese maker. I think one of the magazines just did a product review on their fairing and gave it pretty good marks. They talked about its being moulded instead of pressed (not sure what the difference is) and that the tabs were also moulded. That wasn't the case with mine.

I'm still not sure what the material is although the base color is white with the inside surfaces sprayed black. After a couple of attempts to install it and being pissed off at the results, I took it all off and put it back in the shipping box. That's where it currently lives. I'd like to know the real truth about their current offerings... maybe I'll call them. The tabs on the seat surround which fit into the taillight assy. didn't come close to working. After a bit of grinding with a Dremel, I cut them off and tossed them. Of the 4 posts that hold the headlight assy on, one was completely missing. I used a piece of nylon rod drilled and tapped and JBWeld to attach it to the nose fairing. The threaded inserts in the remaining posts were all the wrong size but the screws were sourced at the hardware store.

By the way, AirTech makes fiberglass fairings for the gen.5 VFR. They don't have tabs but they're cheaper then OEM.

In some respects stuff coming out of China can be worth the price. I just bought a set of rear-sets for my VTR1000, $169.00 incl. freight from Danmoto. Haven't put them on yet but they look great... so far.

• Member Contributer

Just went on Nicecycle's site and found the attached photo of the paint scheme I asked them to duplicate. I took it from an British book on motorcycles and found it on a Honda CBR600. Hmm, think I'll get em on copy-write infringement. At least they found it interesting enough to offer it!

post-11250-0-16851100-1399481977.jpg

I hear the early ones weren't injection moulded, these ones are supposed to be and looking at the sample images it certainly looks like it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Customized-fairing-H8217-Silver-Flame-Hi-Quality-Fairing-kit-for-Honda-VFR800-interceptor-VFR800RR-2002-2007/908518131.html $410 including shipping I probably couldn't get the small scratches fixed on my bike for that. I've brought a lot of stuff from aliexpress mostly electronics and clothes and yes the quality on about 10% of my purchases hasn't been up to standard which is why I wouldn't go for the cheapest set

• Member Contributer

We're going to try an "injection molded" ebay set here soon for my wife's bike. Stock plastics are not salvageable, and OEM is way too expensive. She also wants to move to another color. I'll report on the fit, finish, and quality when they come in.

My brother has a set of Chinese plastics on his CBR6. The price was very good and they looked good in the Repsol colour scheme.

They fitted fairly well, no big panel gaps but they were fiddlier than OEM to fit. Once on, they looked good.

However, over time, the paint has faded in places but that's to be expected. All in all, a decent alternative.

I've not seen any Injection Molded sets and just about ever seller talks about how good injection molded is, but sell the standard kits.

i have a standard kit on my 02 and it took 8 hrs to get it to fit even at all, but from 5-10 ft it looks good.

• Member Contributer

I used to own an Aprilia Futura. Fit and finish of the fairing wasn't good at all but like Baileyrock says, at 10ft it looked awesome. This can't be any worse.

I guess it's an easy option but if it was a bike I cared about and wanted to keep for a while I would probably buy pieces of original plastic and get them painted the color I wanted.

• 1 year later...

Just bought a set of Chinese plastics in red. They are compression-moulded. As I understand it, no-one has made injection moulds for fifth gen. Must check on the tabs after reading the above but the first thing I noticed on opening the box was that the colour was way off. Nearer orange when put alongside the slightly dark red of the OEM plastics. That means I'll have to swap out all of the originals on the bike and not just the two I damaged but it's still going to be a mile off the colour of the tank. I'll try and justify having them by saying they are for track days (wish I'd done that earlier), while I order some OEM replacements for the damaged ones. Hopefully that colour match will be good but on a 14-year-old bike it's asking a lot. I should have got the Repsol version of the cheapies for the track but when I ordered the red I was hoping to fool friends into thinking I hadn't dropped it.

• Member Contributer

Just bought a set of Chinese plastics in red. They are injection moulded. Must check on the tabs after reading the above but the first thing I noticed on opening the box was that the colour was way off. Nearer orange when put alongside the slightly dark red of the OEM plastics. That means I'll have to swap out all of the originals on the bike and not just the two I damaged but it's still going to be a mile off the colour of the tank. I'll try and justify having them by saying they are for track days (wish I'd done that earlier), while I order some OEM replacements for the damaged ones. Hopefully that colour match will be good but on a 14-year-old bike it's asking a lot. I should have got the Repsol version of the cheapies for the track but when I ordered the red I was hoping to fool friends into thinking I hadn't dropped it.

Which company did you order from ?

Roll On ..

Neverland Motors. Actually I see I've said they were injection-moulded. I meant to say they were ABS which I understand is usually injection moulded but I don't know for sure.

Sent when I should be working.

Archived