6Th Gen Service Manual Accuracy

marriedman

Since I now have a 6th gen, I downloaded a copy of the service manual. However in the description there is a part that concerns me:

Remember, this Factory Service Manual is far from perfect. Firstly, it presumes you have a reasonable level of mechanic/shop experience. Secondly, it contains many errors. Not just typos, but erroneous information. Some of it was fixed in errata releases in subsequent years but not all of it (trust me, I've checked).

Um... should we even trust this PDF? Should I find a later printing of the guide?

• Member Contributer

Good question, not sure where the errors are or how they are known to be errors?

I have seen the odd error... for example some data in the general section which differs from that provided in the more specific chapter. Can't recall which off the top of my head.

Then there is misguiding information in some procedures... which lead you to doing unnecessary extra work.. like draining all the coolant and removing throttle bodies for swapping out the front CCT... think there are also shortcuts to the stator removal/replacement...

• Member Contributer

So for the easy stuff like removing wheels, oil changes, coolant flush, brake pad... normal maintenance, it's safe to use?

I have been using it for all of my typical maintenance, mostly for torque settings and so far so good.

• Member Contributer

Every manual I own has errors. My FZ1 manual transposed some digits in the torque value chart and many an FZ1 owner has snapped off rear sprocket bolts as a result.

So for the easy stuff like removing wheels, oil changes, coolant flush, brake pad... normal maintenance, it's safe to use?

Oh yeah, I use it for everything but apply common moto-wrenching sense and think critically whether certain indications don't click.. Filter it with your brain.

• Member Contributer

I haven't downloaded it so is it the Honda Service manual?

I was more concerned with things like what mello dude & I discovered in the 5th gen front wheel removal. I followed the instructions to the letter and constantly had rubbing on the rotor after putting the wheel back on. I even posted about it on here. One day when mello was over, I told him about it and showed him the page. He said it was wrong and I did it his way - boom, no more rubbing. Of course, nothing is ever that simple with mello. We did the run-out on the disc and wheel, got out sextant and lined something up with Jupiter and sacrificed a rabbit.

So, now armed with this information I can swap my wheels on my bikes. Gonna keep the 8 spoke rear and color matched front.

I haven't downloaded it so is it the Honda Service manual?

Yeah, that's the one. It's even had OCR text recognition for searches and bookmarks added so I won't have to do that again like I did for the 5th gen download.

• Member Contributer

I was more concerned with things like what mello dude & I discovered in the 5th gen front wheel removal. I followed the instructions to the letter and constantly had rubbing on the rotor after putting the wheel back on. I even posted about it on here. One day when mello was over, I told him about it and showed him the page. He said it was wrong and I did it his way - boom, no more rubbing. Of course, nothing is ever that simple with mello. We did the run-out on the disc and wheel, got out sextant and lined something up with Jupiter and sacrificed a rabbit.

So, now armed with this information I can swap my wheels on my bikes. Gonna keep the 8 spoke rear and color matched front.

He he, part of the required ritual on working on VFRs is rabbit jumping on occasion. On yours, with all the work, the rabbit definitely died and went to Jupiter. :beer:

-Remember that your left rotor was bent, so I assume you are swapping rotors too.

- If you got really ambitious, you could actually purchase the Factory manual for your bike..... and all the very latest updates and corrections will be included with it.

:cool:

- If you got really ambitious, you could actually purchase the Factory manual for your bike..... and all the very latest updates and corrections will be included with it.

Yeah, I am going to buy one because I have learned that the physical copy is pretty damned convenient sometimes. Do you recommend buying the Honda Service manual or the Haynes?

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I am going to buy one because I have learned that the physical copy is pretty damned convenient sometimes. Do you recommend buying the Honda Service manual or the Haynes?

Buy the Honda manual. Go to www.helminc.com they are the authorized reseller for Honda manuals. I bought my 5 Gen owner's manual and 'Common Service Manual' from them. They were out of stock on the 6 Gen Service Manual back when I bought the other two but I may look into getting one now though.

• Member Contributer

Buy the Factory manual from the dealer or online. Specify your model year of your bike.

- -Haynes is good fire starter.

A thought on the wheels...... just get the 8 spoke painted like the new color and leave well enuff alone already on the front?

Archived