Dumb Question About Throw Over Saddlebags

PirateRiderBen

So, if one owned a set of saddle bags connected by straps, or so called toss-over or throw over bags, how do you keep them from sliding off? I have been able to put the straps under the pillion seat and then close the seat on top of it, however that becomes tricky if i want to leave the grab handles installed on my 5th gen for light 2up touring. They're straps that snap together underneath but I still don't see how this keeps them from sliding off the back, and I lost one of these straps to my rear tire because the extend rather low even when pulled tight. I'm sure there is an obvious solution that I am overlooking.

I borrowed this pic off of MS superstore for illustration purposes.

-PRB

post-27973-0-58815600-1398120558.jpg

• Member Contributer

Dems little straps that show up in the front bottom of your pix get attached to anything sold. The bags can't slide back and your bod prevents them from going too far forward.

I have connected them to the pillion pegs or the brackets that hold them on with good success.

Correct, there's always straps to the passenger peg brackets and usually a rear strap as well. The Cortech Sport bags are a perfect fit on the 5th gen, they can be set up to hang nicely vertical. The Cortech tail bag clips right on as well. Hard to beat this system for soft luggage on the 5th gen

Don't just throw them over the seat. Use the little tie downs to attach to something solid, maybe a bungee or 2 as well.

Make sure they will stay put, and OFF the exhaust pipe. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

Ben, These are pics of my old VFR but you may be able to zoom in on the pics and see where I had the straps located. The two lower straps on the front of the bags were looped through my passenger peg brackets. That kept the bags from sliding to the rear. The long strap on the rear of the bags DOES NOT run under the fender to the other side but ran around the rear of the fender and over the top of the license plate to the other side. This method keeps the bags from sliding forward on the bike. Running it under the fender will result in contact with the tire when your suspension compresses. I just let the top straps run over the top of the seat.

Home Sweet Home Colorado

100_2127_0012_012.jpg

• Member Contributer

to prevent scuff marks on your panels, you could look into clear vinyl to stick on the panels or any other (electical) tape (which wil not be impossible to remove ofcourse).

Damm! it Is already 2 years ago I was crossing the Atlantic to join TMAC!!

• Member Contributer

When I used the bags on my 5th gen I ran the front strap into the vent slot and wrapped around something just beyond the plastic. I had two wooly sleeves to protect the plastics. It was perfect. Just be sure not to scuff up your paint and find a nice anchor point to remove play of the bags.

When I bought my motech bags for my 6th gen I strapped the front through the passenger peg & used 1/4 shackles in the bracket for the rear reflector spot for the rear straps7yzamuje.jpguza9unur.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are really squeezed for money or garage space, I heartily recommend hard luggage. Hard luggage is just so much better than soft that I don't think I could go back to it. And it's not that I had crappy saddlebags. I had Firstgear Silverstone bags and Hondaline before that. They were fine on my 250 and my Nighthawk, but for the VFR hard luggage is the best option IMHO.

That being said, I understand if you are on a budget or don't have the space to store hard luggage.

• Member Contributer

As everyone else has suggested, the little front & rear straps can be looped around pillion sets, plus I used to run my rear straps up behind the license plate mount.

They had quick connects (backpack style) and kept the bags from bouncing up and down.

Another suggestion, always wrap your gear in strong plastic bags. How do I know? Those saddle bags are great rain collectors in heavy downpours.

So much so, I (er I mean you) could pour out a cup water at the end of a long day, through 2 hours of rain, riding into Columbus Montana, on route to a big meet, like a Sum Sum.

I'm just saying, it could happen.

• Member Contributer

I used my Cortech softbags on my 5th gen for years. In some ways I long for the days of less crap on the bike. Anyway I ran one of the carry straps under the pillion seat and always used the fore and aft straps to secure the load. I also used a tail bag which snapped to the saddle bags, which also tightened up the system.

Here you can see the forward straps secured to the rear peg brackets and the tailbag snaps secured to the saddle bags. Man I remember this shot new tires and a shiny bike headed for the Sierras!!!!

med_gallery_2144_2760_205377.jpg

I found these strap attachment points from Aerostich to be really helpful for the rear straps.

med_gallery_2144_2760_118233.jpg

I run hard bags now but junk expands to the room available so beware!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ran motopaks then upgraded to Oxford sports lifetime luggage never had any issues. The bags were easy to install and remove and solid. Regardless if anyone buys mine for sale (shameless plug), those Oxford sports are awesome and the best soft luggage. I finally had to upgrade to the hard bags though :)

The hard saddle bags are nice. If you don't mind spending $1,000+ for the Honda bags. :goofy:

Kind of a deal killer for me.

The hard saddle bags are nice. If you don't mind spending $1,000+ for the Honda bags. :goofy:

Kind of a deal killer for me.

I got my complete Givi setup for about $400. Just need to be patient and shop around on ebay, craigslist, and discount sites.

Archived