Resisting Urge To Get New Bike ... By Improving My Vfr

Guest PlanoVFR

Guest PlanoVFR

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for awhile here. Bought a 2003 VFR 800 ABS model last summer to replace my '07 919.

I've really enjoyed my VFR but have had my eye on a new ZX-14R ABS. Mainly wanted some better acceleration.

After mulling it over, and deciding I would be a little less than thrilled with a huge bike payment for 5 years, I have decided instead to farkle up the VFR and enjoy it for a few years as I save up for a newer bike a few years down the road.

I was lucky in that the previous owners of my Vfr took pretty good care of it, and put some nice accessories on it before I bought it: Helibars, Corbin seat, tail tidy, center stand and a power outlet come to mind.

So, I just had new tires put on it and bought a 520 conversion sprocket set that is -1/+2 different from stock. Dropped off my VFR at local Honda dealership today to have them install the new chain and sprockets. I hope that helps improve its acceleration some. Will pick it up tomorrow.

I also have a speedometer fixer and a gear indicator I will install in a few weeks when I get some time.

I enjoy this community and wanted to say hello. I live in Plano, TX, a community in the DFW area.

The pic is of my bike and the soft luggage I use for it: Motocentric tank bag and Saddlemans tail pack.

-PlanoVFR

post-27934-0-48226900-1395365852.jpg

Welcome! Maybe I can help ya out as I just kind of went through the same thing, wanted the same bike even. :) The first big thing I did to my 05, also red, was new exhaust. I went with two brothers as I had that on my 93 vfr and loved the sound of it. Since then I have put a BMC air filter in it, don't see a huge difference there, but I was in need of a new one anyhow. The power commander I installed paired with the two brothers has really brought the bike to life, er well a different life. I am not currently running any custom maps as it has only been on a few weeks and here in South East Kansas the weather won't make up it's mind but I will say I can tell a big difference. I loved the looks of the VFR and love the V4, wasn't a huge fan of our vetec but the power commander seems to have fixed that problem for me. The acceleration is a ton better now though. Hopefully that helps ya out.

Thanks for sharing that with me, Spiff!

I appreciate the tips. In the past I tried not to check out VFR exhausts since I wasn't sure I would keep the VFR, but now that I have made up my mind to keep it for awhile, I will start checking out whats on the market. I hope to meet some other VFR owners and maybe hear some exhausts in person.

I like the idea of improving its acceleration for sure. Its not that it is horrible or anything, but my 919 would wheelie effortlessly, and my VFR not so much. Its not that I want to wheelie all the time, but I got used to having that power on tap and have sort of missed it since I got the VFR. I am hoping my sprocket change will help with that.

-PlanoVFR

• Member Contributer

you saved yourself more than a 5 year payment plan..

you saved yourself headaches from ignition problems, blown heads and transmission failures :beer: .

• Member Contributer

You also just saved yourself a bundle on insurance as well. I stepped away from VFRs in June of '12 and thought I would also jump to Kawasaki with the Ninja 1000 with the hard bags. ---That is until I saw the insurance quotes and that was just crazy, especially for a 50ish, married guy, with no tickets, and an 800+ credit rating. (some companies use your credit as a basis for your premiums) Three months later I was back on an updated VFR. My only cautionary point on the sprocket conversion is that I did the same on my last VFR and the acceleration was much improved however, I was always searching for 6th gear on the highway when I was already there. I felt like it needed a 7th gear. Just a few short months later, I went back to stock.

And welcome! I have friends/family in Plano, Frisco, Grapevine, Colleyville, Flower Mound and Ft. Worth so I get down there fairly often. My grandmother is just off of 35W at the next exit south of Texas Motor Speedway which is just awesome come race time. oh yeah, can't wait to see the new Big Hoss at the track.

Thanks for the replies. Picked up the bike today (yes, from Maxim Honda) and am very pleased with improved acceleration from the 520 conversion with -1/+2 sprocket change. I knew going into it that it would eat up some of 6th gear, but I don't do much highway cruising anyway so its not a big deal to me. I get more enjoyment from riding it in the city. I know what you mean about trying to find 6th when you are already in it...will be installing a gear indicator soon (Heal Tech GIPRO-X) for just that reason, so I don't try to shift into that phantom 7th gear like I used to like when I had the CBR250 a couple years ago.

Yeah, I did check insurance on ZX-14R, Geico was the cheapest at a little over $100 a month, but thats the price you pay to play. Maybe in a few years....

"Yeah, I did check insurance on ZX-14R, Geico was the cheapest at a little over $100 a month, but thats the price you pay to play. Maybe in a few years...."

A 100 a month??? Wow... The most expensive one I have is the Tuono V4 at 180 a year full coverage!

WERA 910, who do you get insurance from? I'd like to get a quote.

I pay $180 a year from USAA/Progressive for full coverage on VFR. They wanted close to $2,000 a year for full-coverage on the ZX-14R. Geico would do it for about $1,400 a year. If I could get insurance closer to $1,000 a year I may just make the jump.

• Member Contributer

Funny, I was just trolling Craigslist and saw a nice red Honda 919 and thought about getting that and selling the VFR. Googling '919 vs VFR800' told me to keep what I have, although I would kill for a nice comfy UJS riding position.

• Member Contributer

I pay $180 a year from USAA/Progressive for full coverage on VFR. They wanted close to $2,000 a year for full-coverage on the ZX-14R. Geico would do it for about $1,400 a year. If I could get insurance closer to $1,000 a year I may just make the jump.

why are you obsessed with a rolling piece of crap??

i have rebuilt 3 motors and fixed electrical problems on too many to remember

if you like the looks that much find a vfr800 and throw on some aftermarket 14 clothes.

that way to have a real bike with a stylish suit :beer:

• Member Contributer

I also have Progressive through USAA for my VFR. The fact is the second you hit 1000cc's your insurance spikes unless the bike falls into the "touring" catagory for any insurance company. Compound that with the fact that you are carrying a bank note on it and they basically take you to the cleaners.

There are also lots of other determining factors such as number of vehicles, age, years of riding experience, the level of coverage, even what state you live in so anyone can say "I only pay this much a month" for insurance and it means nothing because you are comparing apples to oranges. For example my insurance dropped 50% when I moved of Louisiana to New Mexico for the same coverage.

Funny, I was just trolling Craigslist and saw a nice red Honda 919 and thought about getting that and selling the VFR. Googling '919 vs VFR800' told me to keep what I have, although I would kill for a nice comfy UJS riding position.

There are two reasons I moved from the 919 into the VFR: full fairing and ABS. That said, after I bought the VFR and rode it for a couple weeks I actually missed the 919, mainly because of its slap yo mamma acceleration and its awesome exhaust note. However, the ABS and the wind protection on the VFR have kept me here. Now that I just changed sprockets on the VFR it feels a bit closer to the 919 as far as acceleration goes. But as they say, theres no replacement for displacement and the 919 is 17% bigger size-wise. If it had ABS I probably would still be riding it, but I love my family too much to ride anything without ABS. The CB1000R, which I have read was the replacement in Honda's lineup for the 919 looks too "ricey" for my tastes, but I bet it is fun to ride.

post-17486-0-97334300-1315111997_thumb.j

I bought this bking as a new leftover 3 years ago, insurance is very affordable. I'm more than satisfied with the power and handling, makes a great second bike for those mad moments.

Archived