Chain And Sprocket Selection

It's been a LONG time since I put a chain and sprocket kit on any bike of mine. I was looking at the chain on my newest vfr and I think it's got a spot in it that would qualify it for replacement. Bike has 31xxx on it.

Sprockets look to be in excellent condition with no apparent wear. I've replaced just the chain before but not knowing the history on this bike, I'm, well, hesitant not to replace all the drive components.

That said, 520, or 530? Steel or aluminum? Rk, DID, Regina? I see the kits are considerably more expensive than the last time I replaced one. I'll go with an O ring if not an X ring. I've always done DID and found a kit with front and back 'light' steel 530 for ~190.

Thoughts?

I use http://sprocketcenter.com/

I .02 cents is that I run 530 chains and sprockets on everything mainly for longevity.

The AMA and WSBK VFR racers on the forum will disagree.

But I would rather put many, many trouble free miles on heavier chain and thicker sprockets.

My experience has proven that 520 and 525 just don't hold up as long.

And alloys are completely out of the question for me.

I like riding my motorcycles rather than constantly wrenching on them.

Needless tweaks for a constantly stretching chain and prematurely worn sprockets is just not and option.

If you were racing a bike I would give you a different answer, But this is about a VFR.

• Member Contributer

+1 on sprocket center, although make sure they have what you buy in stock, I had to wait almost a week for one the sprockets to be available before they could ship it to me. I've always had DiD chains on all my bikes prior, so I stuck with them on all my newer bikes as well. I went with stock sprocket and chain size for both my VFRs, on the Duc I changed to lower gearing because of the tall stock gearing, taking off from stops required more clutch work.

• Member Contributer

My preference has always been a 530 chain and steel sprockets. People have their brand preferences, but any of the major brands s/b fine. Rather than grinding pins and pressing out a link, I use some big a$$ bolt cutters to cut the side plates of a link, makes removal quick and easy.

I have Regina. Great chain, only adjusted once in 10k miles, and shows no sign of wear. I also like the gold plating on it.

Steel sprockets, 520 or 530, from a reputable company (probably gonna spend $150-225 for the set) and you'll be good to go.

Couple of things worth considering.

1. The OEM front sprocket has a damper on it and some people don't like the extra noise that comes from an aftermarket front sprocket. I never noticed a difference myself, but then I had a enutniatS on mine...

2. As has been said, it's a VFR. If you want to embark on a serious weight reduction program, you could start with going to a 520 and ditching the centrestand. Otherwise just go with a 530. Interestingly, the advances in metallurgy in the last ten years appear to have added a lot of longevity to 520s, they don't wear out nearly as fast as they used to.

3. Gearing - consider a 45T rear sprocket if you want more snap in acceleration and don't mind the increased rpms at cruising speeds. It's a more expensive way of changing gearing than dropping a tooth at the front, but is better for chain longevity. It also shortens the wheelbase on a 3rd/4th Gen by 10mm, to the same wheelbase of a 5th/6th Gen - the bike is more nimble. Honda went to all that trouble of side-mounted rads on the 800s to shorten the wheelbase, when they could have just changed the gearing... Alternately, if you want longer gearing, swap from the OEM 16T front to a 17T front off a VFR800.

4. Brand - any 'name' brand. RK, DID, Regina all make good chains, but - like many other 'name' manufacturers, their cheap models are indeed cheap. Look for their premium models, in the case of RK that would be their GXW (standard as OEM fitment on Hayabusa, ZX-14R etc.)

5. If you're sure your sprockets are in good shape and just want to change the chain, flip the sprockets around...

• 2 months later...

hi gents

I bought a DID 530 VX chain. It came as 114 links. Counted what came off and that was 112. If I just take of one (2) link and put that on is that all I will have to do?

Its right chain just too long. Just pop out link with chain tool and pop it on? :tongue:

szhgn9.jpg

mkg1kz.jpg

4tvu3p.jpg

1zb9hlz.jpg

• Member Contributer

That is what I would do yes.

DID the same last month with the Ultegra chain on my road bicycle... :beer:

Archived