My Poor Attempt At Touch Up

LangoPTC

• Member Contributer

I had a little mishap with the bike a few weeks ago...let's call it a tipover...and not an overaggressive grab at the brakes with the bike slightly leaned while coming to a stop leaving a parking lot...

I have the R&G sliders on my bike so I'm assuming my attempt to right the bike by myself caused some scraping on the bubble below the Honda emblem.

Bought a bottle of touch up paint and clearcoat from ColorRite and while not an exact match I guess I will learn to live with it since a replacement fairing is $325. If you move away from the bike about 50 yards and squint it almost looks acceptable. Yeah, I know, I won't be quitting my day job...

For your viewing displeasure...

Tried my hand at touch-up

Touch-up from a distance

Could be the photo but the blue looks a bit of a lighter shade. It is too hard to get something like that with a touch up brush.

I found the Italian Red is next to impossible to touch up. I did have some success finally by applying Color Rite paint with an airbrush. First wet sanded damaged area smooth, painted red several coats, applied clear coat and then wet sanded and polishing compound. It took a lot of time and had to be done just right. Many failed attempts. I found sanding the red paint changed the color so I did not sand or polish until the clear coat was on. Turned out OK in the end. Not easy to do.

• Member Contributer

GLL429 - A "93" sticker down there might not look half bad...then again it might not look half good given the touch up is on the bubble.

Bad Boy - Yes it is noticeably lighter but probably not $325 worth of noticeable especially when that money could go to some helibars. Yeah knowing what I know now I probably at least would have ordered the rattle can.

UltimateVFR - I appreciate the offer but from what Bad Boy says it sounds like an awful big PITA.

GLL429 - A "93" sticker down there might not look half bad...then again it might not look half good given the touch up is on the bubble.

Bad Boy - Yes it is noticeably lighter but probably not $325 worth of noticeable especially when that money could go to some helibars. Yeah knowing what I know now I probably at least would have ordered the rattle can.

UltimateVFR - I appreciate the offer but from what Bad Boy says it sounds like an awful big PITA.

With the right equipment it is definitely not a PITA. Just for us schmucks without the right stuff.

I've had good success with ignoring stuff like that, and when I can't I just call them battle scars.

If I spend a bunch of money on paint, I'm afraid I'll just muck it up again. :wink:

I park in my garage now, but years ago I had a tank painted to finish fixing a dent I put in it.

Within weeks some evildoer had keyed it while parked outside my apartment building. :pissed:

Ended up putting a sticker over it. Never identified the evildoer, but would have liked to key their face real good.

• Member Contributer

You would be surprised how fast I could take care of that, takes longer to mixed the paint- and yes I'm that much " old school" I still mix my own . ;)

• Member Contributer

Could be the photo but the blue looks a bit of a lighter shade. It is too hard to get something like that with a touch up brush.

I found the Italian Red is next to impossible to touch up. I did have some success finally by applying Color Rite paint with an airbrush. First wet sanded damaged area smooth, painted red several coats, applied clear coat and then wet sanded and polishing compound. It took a lot of time and had to be done just right. Many failed attempts. I found sanding the red paint changed the color so I did not sand or polish until the clear coat was on. Turned out OK in the end. Not easy to do.

I landed up painting my front cowl and both fairings. It started with a garage tip over and my right fairing got scratched. Ordered R 157 italian red and it didnt match up with the rest of the bike. Now my tank and front fender look slightly off. I have given up after putting in $$$ to fix a couple of small scratches.

• Member Contributer

I landed up painting my front cowl and both fairings. It started with a garage tip over and my right fairing got scratched. Ordered R 157 italian red and it didnt match up with the rest of the bike. Now my tank and front fender look slightly off. I have given up after putting in $$$ to fix a couple of small scratches.

Had the same problem with my '90, finally found a Honda car color that matched dead on. Honda does use it's formulas in different applications -the lawn mowers use a red car color from the eighties.

Archived