Specific 3Rd Gen Rebuild Questions

I've made a ton of progress since last week and have a few specific questions to wrap things up.

Is there any fix for this plug wire? Or just replace?

What goes to this white plug behind the dash?

Can someone post a pic of the clutch/slave hose routing?

jyqatary.jpgda7e7e6u.jpg

• Member Contributer

Brad, glad to hear things are back on track. Do you have a service manual from the download section? I think it could answer two of your three questions.

My bikes at home, so all I can offer is moral support.

Confession time... I got in a hurry and the slave was seized up. Instead of rebuilding I tried to tighten and broke an ear off. :( had to order one from the Bay.

I got 4 tabs made onto the used cowl I bought and mocked that up. Going to paint solid red.

jyjusujy.jpg

Where it sits this morning.

Remember kids. 21year old plastic is brittle. Don't set your controls down I the floor too quickly.

7a7a4yga.jpg

Dont buy an new switch! I have one you can have! You will need to use the lower part of your existing switch because I shaved off the nub that aligns with the hole in the clip on but that should be an easy swap. It is just hanging around in my basement....

PM me an Address if you are interested!

viffer93

• Member Contributer

go by some vasoline... remove the wires from the controls and slop the petroleum jelly over them. place them in a baggy let them sit. ditto for the dash housing and any other plastic bits .

the jelly WILL seep into the them and WILL make them look new.

as for the spark plug wire..

next time place the wire in the plug end and turn the plug clock wise. there is an ANCHOR SCREW in there..

Thanks for the advice about making them look new. I will try that once I get the right hand controls also.

Good to know about the plug wire. I had asked my dad about it this morning, and he gave me the same advice. I was able to cancel the order on eBay for the new coils and wires.

If anyone still following this thread has an extra slave cylinder, I need to buy one... Shoot me a PM please.

I've now got the FH020AA RR upgrade kit and some other o-rings, hoses and rear brake light activator spring to install next time I get to the shop. :D

Man, I didn't realize how BEEFY the upgraded R/R is!!! I went to bolt it on, and realized it ain't gonna be that easy. Plus, after finally testing the stator leads, I was seeing 5-7 ohms resistance between each set of wires... not the "under 1-2 ohms" that is expected via install instructions. So now I've got a new Rick's stator on its way.

Good news for me is that all the gauges and lights and blinkers are working correctly. I know it is really all plug-and-play, but it made me smile to see it all work for the first time in over 6 months.

I'm also slowly accumulating the OEM replacements for the fuel system. Final piece is the hose from the fuel pump to the engine. I'll probably go with a section of bulk hose for that.

• Member Contributer

I just found a longer bolt of the same diameter and thread pitch and snugged it. The lower stud helps to locate the RR, but not much else. You could relocate it for better breathing, but since my bike lost her clothes (and hence the obligatory NACA duct) and that piece is cracked anyways, I'm going to make a put in a NACA duct for cooling.

Ok so it's reasonable to put it in the same location with 1 bolt. Good to know.

I think you can egt away with using only one bolt as the RR doesn't need the frame to dissipate heat, it may even run cooler that way.

Final piece is the hose from the fuel pump to the engine. I'll probably go with a section of bulk hose for that.

It has some tight bends in it, not sure if you can route it the same way as the OEM hose.

RR mounted and wired. y4y4uhur.jpg

Now I've opened up the left side cover to replace to stator, and a small amount of engine oil came out. I thought the stator cover was a dry location.

• Member Contributer

Nope. It is cooled by oil. That's why the top half is usually dark--discolored by heat, and the bottom not so dark (the oil doesn't completely cover it).

Ciao,

• 2 months later...

Well she finally runs.

Now its just fresh fluids, torque the AllBalls stem bearings and air up the tires. :-D

I have a running video but for the life of me, technology HATES me today.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Nice!

All of a sudden, I am now interested in 3rd gen bikes.

Must be getting old :wacko:

Archived