Need Help W/clutch Slave Bleeding Issue

gig

• Member Contributer

I am bleeding clutch line after having cover off and installing SS lines, clutch pushing air, as if leaking some where with each pump through speed bleeder, air is not pulling through threads, is this a clutch slave seal/o-ring issue, and what is the fix. Thx

• Member Contributer

Did you take the piston out of the slave cylinder(working end)?

If not did you try to put as much fluid in the line as you can BEFORE connecting to the master cylinder .

And I know its hard because of the fitting but you need to try to get as fluid in the line as you can before trying to bleed it .

Griff

I have a small syringe that I can inject the brake fluid into the fitting to the brake line.

I would tie it off so as to kept it high, then flip it with a finger and let it sit for 15-20 minutes and see if it settle.

If it did refill and repeat,

the point is to get as much air as you can out of the line and then start bleeding .

• Member Contributer

i pulled fluid through w/ mityvac on regular bleed valve, and did not seem to have an issue, then put in speed-bleeders. Everything bled through great until i got to the clutch line and looks and sounds like its pulling air at the start of the stroke from somewhere. I thought it may pulling through threads even though speed-bleeder came with thread lock, i changed with an extra speed-bleeder i had, with same result.

• Member Contributer

Teflon tape the bleeder ?

You can remove the bottom end and put in a cup full of brake fluid and the pump it up . When the air stops coming out reinstall it and see if its works if not it getting from the slave cylinder end but if it never gets the air out of it then its the master cylinder end .

I have heard good and bad feedback about the mityvac ..

Griff form what I'm reading you CAN NOT mityvac with speed bleeders ...

CANT USE SPEED BLEEDERS WITH MIT VAC !!!!!

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you have an air bubble at the master cylinder piston. If it were me I would remove the Speedbleeder, reinstall the regular bleed point, use the MityVac to get rid of the air bubble at the master cylinder, and then reinstall the Speedbleeder and go from there. With the air at the piston you won't be able to move any brake fluid down the line.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade, thx so much for taking the time to find this video, but did pull fluid through on a regular bleed valve with mityvac first, then installed speed-bleeder, the speed-bleeders need the presure of the fluid to work and they come pre coated with not thread lock "bad choice of words, more like a thread sealant. I found some topics where the seal or oring had been damaged on clutch slave but could not find any with this exact problem?

• Member Contributer

Gig, I dont know if this is helpful, but yeah..... I have found bleeding a dry circuit on the clutch side a holy mother of PIA. I have been installing the speed bleeder in first and pulling fluid thru the speed bleeder valve. Then sssssloooowly, pump the clutch master cylinder. One detail that I do, is to tape a 1 inch thick block to the near end of the handle bar to avoid over stroking the m/c. If you do over stroke you get fluid behind the piston and then your hosed. You have to disassemble it and clean it out, and possibly do a rebuild.

The process is tedious, and take patience. Go slow and you will get there. --

- (I have been fortunate not to need to pull the slave out and mess with that.) (yet)

Good Luck,

:cool:

Totally incorrect, I have done it quite a few times, as recently as a couple months ago on my big ass Valkyrie clutch line. Works fine.

• Member Contributer

Gig, I dont know if this is helpful, but yeah..... I have found bleeding a dry circuit on the clutch side a holy mother of PIA. I have been installing the speed bleeder in first and pulling fluid thru the speed bleeder valve. Then sssssloooowly, pump the clutch master cylinder. One detail that I do, is to tape a 1 inch thick block to the near end of the handle bar to avoid over stroking the m/c. If you do over stroke you get fluid behind the piston and then your hosed. You have to disassemble it and clean it out, and possibly do a rebuild.

- (I have be fortunate not to need to pull the slave out and mess with that.)

Good Luck,

Totally incorrect, I have done it quite a few times, as recently as a couple months ago on my big ass Valkyrie clutch line. Works fine.

Like I said those other people are wrong YOU can use a mityvac on speed bleeder .

• Member Contributer

Good Luck,

Like I said those other people are wrong YOU can use a mityvac on speed bleeder .

Absolutely. I do it all the time. Works great.

Aram

• Member Contributer

Thx everyone, i think i got it.

mellow dude, patience and short strokes cleared it, finally. Thx!!

That's great!

• Member Contributer

The one thing that you'll need, even more than a vacuum bleeder, is patience! Especially when dealing with the linked braking systems of the 5/6 Gen VFRs! It appears the clutch too.

• Member Contributer

OH GOD!!

again??

its so damned easy a cave man can do it.

sigh..

grab your drink of choice..

take a clear tube. and place on slave nipple. it should be snug or tight.. zip ie it if you have one.

angle bars so the clutch MC is level.. take the top off...

loosen nipple at the slave.. sit back and have a sip.. :beer:

GRAVITY will do its job..

no squeezen , no bitchen , no yellin , no screaming , no fuzz, no muss!!!

look as fluid enters tube.. any bubbles? or just fluid? add new fluid to the mc as it gets low.

tighten nipple when you feel enough fluid has gone through.. normally about 1/2 cup for me..

tighten top on Mc.. place in 1st gear and give a squeeze.. it will not be anywhere close to the firm ness of a brake.. does the bike roll? presto you done. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Good Luck,

Absolutely. I do it all the time. Works great.

Aram

Another one .

Keepin coming 7000 will be here soon.

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

have not felt that my clutch slave was void of air or seal damage, as it continues to pull air when bled, ive taken apart, seals seems good piston has light scoring, my concern is there is a half-moon notch at the bottom of my drive sprocket cover. looks intentional for moisture or oil release.

is this OE or an anomaly which is letting air into clutch slave? Thx

• Member Contributer

i pulled fluid through with mitvac, then attached speed bleeder. My concern is the half moon shaped notch, seemed strange, but maybe the piston seal needed to be changed as it was allowing air to be pulled in through said notch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I replaced the piston seal, and as gll429 suggested allowed gravity to feed. Removed bleeder, filled MC, 20 min fluid dripping, installed speed bleeder, few pumps and finally good. Thanks for all the input.

Archived