New Cct With Enlarged 2.75Mm Oil Port

spud786

Switchblade,That's just the rubber tip, with no cap.

LInt, enlarging the gasket makes a difference? it definitely increases the amount of oil flow, which in theory has been an issue with the front tensioner noise developements and longevity.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

HUMMMM!!!!!!

I was out in the garage, and on the shelve was sitting a cct CAP. where did this cap come from?

I know when I pulled the front cct there was no cap on it, and there was also no wear mark on the rubber tip if the bike had been ran capless. I don't ever remember ordering an extra cap.

Either when I did the rear tentioner, I forgot to replace the cap, or I never installed the cap on the front tentioner, when I did it years ago. But like I said there should have been a mark from being capless. I just don't know but I have a cap anyway if I want to install one on the front.

I was looking and debating, trying a different magnetic snake, and ordering a cap to install while in there, incase I came up empty again. On the original big snake magnet, I took off the vinyl shield that surrounds the magnet, I don't know if that will aide any in getting it in the hole, between that and the cap, another retry may be in order. But I do want to glue the cap on.

• 1 month later...

Ive been too lazy to pull the cct again after pulling it 3 times a few months back, The cap I found on the shelve must have been from the first time I replaced the cct many years ago, I guess I ordered a new cap on that first cct replacement, so I put the old one on the shelf.

But I will pull it eventually pull, and install the cap and retry the big snake magnet while in there for the other one. Bike has been great cct noise wise, and runs so good, its just not been a high desire.

It should be better able to track the back side of the chain guide, it has a big magnet on the end . The problem with the metal ones, they arent bending enough to lay flat after getting bent, to enter the hole. Gravity should make this track real easy, and I used and 18mm diameter magnet so it shouldnt fall in the cracks of the guide , and enter the chain area. The duct tape rope is also stiff enough to twist and push, so it might be just the ticket. The magnet itself has an incha or so stem, that is heavy wrap with duct tape and 2 small zip tyes to reinforce the magnet with the tape.

On a side note, on the other vfr forum I saw where a guy used twisted electrical tape and a magnet to do the same thing, duct tape IMO is a better alternative, for strength.

To understand the way the hole is, the magnet has to enter the hole drop 2 inches, and then turn 90 degrees and then track diagonally down the guide. The area once you get through the 90 degree, is fairly open and not a narrow channel. I think there's a little pocket down there which captures the cap.

That was an old cap on the shelf from the first time replaced a front cct many years ago. I just couldn't remember that I bought a new cap at that time. Believe, that tentioner that I recently replaced, it had like 70,000 miles on it, if it had been ran with no cap, there would have been a good wear mark on that rubber plunger, and it was as smooth and clean as a whistle. so I know the cap was on it. And I looked for the cap as soon as the cct came out of the hole, cause I know they fall off easy.

But atleast I have a cap to reinstall, if I come up empty again, please the 4th time be a charm

Also the 3rd time I recently pulled the cct to fish for the cap, the rubber plunger had a mark on it, it took a thousand or so mile to develope, no wear just a little mark , from riding against the steel post on the chain guide.

HUMMMM!!!!!!

I was out in the garage, and on the shelve was sitting a cct CAP. where did this cap come from?

I know when I pulled the front cct there was no cap on it, and there was also no wear mark on the rubber tip if the bike had been ran capless. I don't ever remember ordering an extra cap.

Either when I did the rear tentioner, I forgot to replace the cap, or I never installed the cap on the front tentioner, when I did it years ago. But like I said there should have been a mark from being capless. I just don't know but I have a cap anyway if I want to install one on the front.

You could be suffering from "Sleepwalking Mechanic's Syndrome".... Ever wake up in the morning with a 10mm socket wrench in your hands and greasy fingers??

I like your ingenuity with the duct tape.

Thanks I've bought 2 different snake tools with no success. This first tool, was too big to make the turn(this round I've pulled the vinyl sleeve off it, to see if it will aide ). But I didn't want to go back in with only that choice since its already failed the first time, even though it never really got a shot, I couldn't get it to make the 90 degree turn.

The second tool the worm, just couldn't find anything, but its magnet was very small, maybe not strong enough, plus the copper wire doesn't track correctly the angles. So after hearing about the success with twisted electrical tape, it gave me an idea. I went to Oreilys, and bought a large telescopic magnet, and created what you see. It might work. LOL!

HUMMMM!!!!!!

You could be suffering from "Sleepwalking Mechanic's Syndrome".... Ever wake up in the morning with a 10mm socket wrench in your hands and greasy fingers??

I think I started this back around thanksgiving , and failed 3 times, Ive washed my hands of the whole experience 3 times, but I eventually keep coming back for more pain LOL!

And the final results are ZERO on the missing cap. I couldn't get the duct tape tool to feed right, I got it through the 90 degree but it wouldn't twist and push, retried the big snake no fit. only thing I could get down 90 degree was the worm and it couldn't find anything.

I did install another cap I found on the shelf. The rubber plunger, I previously noted had a mark on it after a 1000 miles, now it has a full .5mm indention of the metal post on the guide. So that's in a couple thousand miles. so Id say 20 or 30,000 miles the indention would be about 3 mm deep or so I installed the cap that Id found previously on the shelf.

The increase in oil flow with 2.75 mm oil port through the tensioner is well noted(it looks great in that regard). Now the question, will the cap being back on have any noise effect, cause its been completely noiseless in that regard.

Edit: test rode today with cap still noiseless under all conditions

• 3 weeks later...

This thread got alittle off track with the lost cap, but as far as the modification of the oil port of the cct gasket from .5mm to 2.75mm, it looks to be sound with no detriment. The gasket hole is only a pin hole in comparison to the size of the oil port through the tensioner, Im of the opinion this small pin hole is creating dry tensioners , rattling and reducing wear life.

I have a new CCT with about 5k on the clock that is rattling again in the front. I think I'm going to pull it and enlarge the whole to see what happens and I'll report back.

That should be a good test, not too many miles for wear, what mileage did you notice?

I know the last time I replaced a new one on the front, it rattled pretty much right off the bat within the first couple of rides or less off a cold start. what oil and weight are you presently running. I know there have been a few whove replaced new front ccts and had the same result over the years.

Id also recommend a Automotive stethoscope, cause it can be hard to determine which cylinder bank is making the noise, even when its rattling, but normally it is the front.

Archived