Vf500 F2 New Rebuild

Guest thepeachroom

Guest thepeachroom

Just a quick message to say hi as I'm new to this forum. Started to rebuild my 1985 VF500F2 about a month ago and thought I would post a few photos.

I'm repairing/replacing/painting bits as I take them off rather than stripping the whole thing down and then looking at what needs doing as I build it back up. So far all the bodywork is off, I've rebuilt the carbs as they were a mess and managed to get the bike running before I started to properly strip it down.

I'm hoping to have the entire bike stripped down over the next few weeks in order to get the frame and swing arm off to be blasted and painted. I'm hoping to have everything back for christmas as I've got a week off to start building it back up again.

At the moment I'm looking at options to replace the very tired looking, original rear shock so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Seen brand new CBR600 shocks going on ebay for under £100 and I'm quite tempted to get one of these to fit. Would also like to upgrade the brake callipers for something a bit newer...

Managed to pick up a load of spare parts including an engine so so far all is well.

Anyway, here are a few photos to get this thread started, enjoy!

post-28482-0-92556400-1383601573.jpg

post-28482-0-38816800-1383601650.jpg

post-28482-0-01045000-1383601366.jpg

post-28482-0-61918200-1383601753.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cool. Keep it coming. Are you planning any modifications or keeping it all original?

Any chance you did a compression check or valve check beforehand?

Hi YoshiHNS, planning to keep it mostly original. Would like to change small things like foot pegs as the originals aren't exactly pretty! Would also like to put newer callipers on it depending on the amount of work involved and the rear shock will be changed for a F4. Bodywork and paint will definitely all be kept original. No compression or valve check beforehand as I was told it ran without any problems + I have a spare engine I'm going to rebuild at some point anyway.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I've been told that it ran without problems before too :dry: . I would do the valve check at least. Else you may end up with an engine like mine.

Whatever rear shock you put on will be better than the old one. Lengths and mountings might be a bit tricky, but nothing a little searching won't sort out.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update with my VF. Bike all stripped down now, frame and other bits now back from the powder coaters, just waiting for the bolts to come back from the plater and I can start building it back up.

Tried doing the valve clearances on a spare engine last night and didn't think the actual process was too difficult. Only stumbling block was that I only had one 0.06 feeler gauge so whilst they were initially perfect, on turning the engine over a few times by hand they were too tight again. Going to get hold of another gauge over the weekend and give it another go. Main thing is that it's not as hard as I expected it to be which is always a bonus!

post-28482-0-29974100-1387270592.jpg

Powder coater did an amazing job and the colour match to the original paint is almost perfect, I had to pay a special powder to be made but it was worth it!

• Member Contributer

A trick that I haven't tried with the tappet and nut valve adjustments. First, go out and spend the $1 on a second feeler gauge. Adjust pairs of feelers at the same time, but do not tighten down the nut, just snug it up. Rotate the engine until the rocker is engaged. THEN tighten the nuts down. Then keep rotating until the cam is off the rocker and check your clearances. Theory being that with the tappet loaded they won't move on you when you tighten them.

A trick that I haven't tried with the tappet and nut valve adjustments. First, go out and spend the $1 on a second feeler gauge. Adjust pairs of feelers at the same time, but do not tighten down the nut, just snug it up. Rotate the engine until the rocker is engaged. THEN tighten the nuts down. Then keep rotating until the cam is off the rocker and check your clearances. Theory being that with the tappet loaded they won't move on you when you tighten them.

Cheers Yoshi, picked a second feeler up yesterday so will give it a go and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help.

Looking forward to seeing it as it gets bolted together. Have you got a "before" pic?

Before pic, it's much worse than it looks!

Spent most of today starting to put the VF back together. Was surprised by how much I got done.

post-28482-0-72292200-1387740112.jpg

post-28482-0-20774400-1387740189.jpg

post-28482-0-61407000-1387739943.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can't wait to see it all back together again.

I wish my 86 had been an F2. I loved mine, but the first time I saw a photo of an F2 my jaw hit the floor! The fairing looked great and was still open enough to see the sweet looking V-4 inside.

• Member Contributer

Spent most of today starting to put the VF back together. Was surprised by how much I got done.

That's the best bit - I tend to get a little bit over enthusiastic and carry on until the early hours without realizing the time.

Looking good, especially the frame - money well spent I reckon!

I cant remember....does the motor go in and out with the exhaust stubs attached or do they have to come off. The reason I ask is I remember having to tak out the shock and use 4 socket extensions to get the stubs on the back with the motor in place.

I cant remember....does the motor go in and out with the exhaust stubs attached or do they have to come off. The reason I ask is I remember having to tak out the shock and use 4 socket extensions to get the stubs on the back with the motor in place.

The rear pipes have to go onto the engine before it goes back into the frame. Tried to get them of whilst they were on the engine when it was in the bike and it was almost impossible. You probably could do it if you took the rear shock out but it's much easier to sort with the engine out. Fronts are fine to be fitted when engine is back in frame.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the VF. Had a stinking cold for the last 3 weeks so haven't managed to get much more done apart from loosely fitting the wiring loom and stripping down the forks.

Time to get the wheels looking good again, anodising is not an option as the wheels cannot be taken apart.

Powder coat or spray?

post-28482-0-09703100-1389708923.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think the 86 US VF500F color looks great with gold wheels but other red/white/blue schemes look better with white wheels.

White is very hard to keep clean.

Archived