Vfr250?

baraka

I was hunting Craigslist and I found a VFR250 from 1988. The seller is asking US$900 (I'll, of course, offer less) and says it needs the alternator to be replaced, but says it runs. Any thoughts? I'm interested in picking of a bike for a 5'04 female friend to learn to ride on. Good idea, or bad idea?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4099542839.html

• Member Contributer

Well...pretty hard to tell. My best suggestion. DO NOT BUY without a compression test. If it's running and compression test is good then it's a decent buy (without pictures can't tell condition, but if it (supposedly) has a bad stator, then it probably isn't in the best nick.

Finding tires for the 88 and 89 models is hard. They don't make the original tire sizes anymore. New parts are hard to come by.

It's supposedly a great bike if taken care of. If you'd rather be safe I would look into the last gen Ninja 250. Easily found for under $2k, and 15 years newer.

Oh, and it's a VTR, not a VFR.

Ask some people on the VTR250.org forum.

• Member Contributer

It is a VTR250. I agree with the newer ninjas if you really really want a 250. if you want a VF/VFR, look for a 500/750 :P. My 500 was a great bike I don't think its too tall for her

• Member Contributer

500s in worry-free condition are just as hard to find as worry-free 250's. The new ninjas are dropping in price, but the old ones are getting cheaper by the day.

Also, rare collectible bike? Don't think so. The 1990's are the desireable ones, as they have more normal tire sizes.

Oh, remembered. The 88 has a 520 chain, which is good. The rest (89, 90) have 428. So make sure about the chain size. There are alternative sprockets you can swap to get to 520 on the other ones.

Maybe you should also really check out the latest CBR250 also, before deciding on getting a VTR, as everyone seems to like them very much, as well as the other new sport 250s (Ninja). The VTRs were great for their time, but they are now very long in the tooth and their engineering is quite ancient compared to the newest tackle. I bet a VTR250 will most likely feel like an old buckboard when you ride it compared to a new CBR250. The new bike will also brake and handle much better than the old bike......especially if the VTR has those horrible "inboard" front brakes....

• Member Contributer

Maybe you should also really check out the latest CBR250 also, before deciding on getting a VTR, as everyone seems to like them very much, as well as the other new sport 250s (Ninja). The VTRs were great for their time, but they are now very long in the tooth and their engineering is quite ancient compared to the newest tackle. I bet a VTR250 will most likely feel like an old buckboard when you ride it compared to a new CBR250. The new bike will also brake and handle much better than the old bike......especially if the VTR has those horrible "inboard" front brakes....

All true but I doubt that you can find a newer 250 for $550-$600 and have it paid for and running all-in for under $1,200.....great bike to learn on if it has all of the parts and before offering anything over $1 per cc make sure that it starts and runs....

• Member Contributer

Hopefully it is the pink and teal green colored model.

I personally think $900 is too much for it considering it needs a little work and sounds cosmetically challenged. I would try to get it somewhere in the $600 - 700 range. If the stator is bad I'd take a full charged battery with you which should give you enough juice to test it out.

Rollin

I would say bad idea. Unless you really know what to look for buying a cheap older bike is usually more trouble than its worth. If one is a good mechanic and enjoys tinkering and repairing it could make a good garage hobby but not likely reliable transportation for a beginning rider. If the budget is tight then waiting and saving up more cash would be a better value for a dependable bike to learn on. A VTR250 in good condition would have been a great choice 10 to 15 years ago. I would look for something newer.

I have owned several older bikes and they do take some attention to keep them running. I have to do all the work on them myself as it is not cost effective to pay a shop to work on them. It is more cost effective to pay more for a bike that needs no work or someone else has fixed up than it is to fix up an old neglected bike. Especially for a beginner.

Excellent points!

I am mainly tempted by being able to pick this up for a song. Didn't know about the tires/chains, and recent experience teaching a friend how to ride has made me re-evaluate the "buy an old bike that you don't mind dropping" notion. Maybe it would be better to "buy a bike with decent suspension and brakes that feels more controllable for a beginner." I love the Ninjas and Honda 250's, but this looked like an interesting, and much cheaper, option.

I have to say I have been dying for an excuse to buy a CBR250R. They are dead sexy. I need to take one out for a test drive. I really really want a Repsol replica one, but I can't justify the cash for it right now. Especially if a new rider's going to be on top of it :)

• Member Contributer

Take a look at it, check the compression. If it checks out, then snag it. Parts are a dime a dozen, except working engines.

The 88 uses 520 sprockets. It's tires I would look into before commiting. I think some people have run front tires backwards for the year. Not sure about the front.

• Member Contributer

I didn't know about these little bikes. Must have been under a rock. For a song, I would get one just to toss around on the back roads. Clip ons, good rubber and a pipe. Fun, fun, fun. The EX250 is brutal on the eyes. Uuuugly!

I didn't know about these little bikes. Must have been under a rock. For a song, I would get one just to toss around on the back roads. Clip ons, good rubber and a pipe. Fun, fun, fun. The EX250 is brutal on the eyes. Uuuugly!

Yes, the EXs are ugly for sure. If you own one you should get rid of it as quickly as possible by any means necessary :wink:

• Member Contributer

Yes, the EXs are ugly for sure. If you own one you should get rid of it as quickly as possible by any means necessary :wink:

Lol! Especially if it is sitting in your moms shed collecting dust. Too funny

Archived