General Question

Guest shovelhead

Guest shovelhead

I ride a 96 VFR750. It currently has 222, 573 on it. YES it is real miles. I purchased it from the original owner with 216,000 or so in January of this year. It is a completely stock machine other than the VFRness I purchased because of charging issues. I was going to change exhaust and go thru the carbs this winter even though I am having ZERO issues. Should I leave well enough alone and just ride it until I have to mess with it or plan on it for a winter project? Just looking for feedback. Thanks

• Member Contributer

Leave well enough alone. Unless that bike was sitting for over a year with gas in the bowls or it is not running right, don't bother messing with the carbs.

Yup, taking off carbs from a VFR is no fun at all, especially as the rubber intake boots are most likely age hardened so much by now on that bike.....So better not to try and "fix it if it ain't broke"

• Member Contributer

I know this is loaded question, but are you mechanically inclined? Do you "mind" if your bike is down 4 times longer than you planned?

Yes, the carbs are difficult Yes, you may end up replacing carb gaskets, boots, etc.

If it makes you feel better or more confident that you are familiar with the bike, I say go for it. Especially if you have a lot of snow on the ground anyways. If you haven't already, download the service manual from the download section to see what's involved.

At the end of the day, you're the riding your bike. And it's fun to tinker.

• Member Contributer

I agree with the above.... It is fun to tinker with our toys, but my experience is if there are no problems, keep them that way. If you are going to do it look up the float bowl gasket cost and the new intake needle costs that might sway your decision. I have changed them out on mine, but then again mine is two years older :goofy: and only at 99,300 miles as of this morning :wheel:

• Member Contributer

If you want to tinker I would just work on the list of general maintanance. That could keep you plenty busy. Fork fluid, filters, cables, plugs, chain and sprockets, maybe some carb clean... A thorough cleaning and inspection of all rubber bits. I wouldn't take her too far apart unless she started acting up.

You tinker and get that confidence in the bike. Win, win.

Archived