Rotted Fork Leg Snap Ring - Removed!

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

I'm in the process of disassembling a friend's VF1000F forks so that I can refinish the legs and replace the seals and bushes. The right leg came apart without incident, although I noticed rusted crud above the snap ring. When I removed the dust seal from the left side, it was much rustier. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the two holes in the snap ring used for compression and removal are gone - they rotted away. There's nothing left to grab onto so my question is obvious - is there some trick to getting these out in situations like these? I hate to give him the bad news, but I'm wondering if he's going to have no choice but to buy another set of forks.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Found this on another site.

I ended up tearing into the rubber seal underneath enough to lodge the ring in place and pushed it hard from one end. That forced the other end out enough to get a grip on in.

• Member Contributer

I ended up tearing into the rubber seal underneath enough to lodge the ring in place and pushed it hard from one end. That forced the other end out enough to get a grip on in.

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean. Can you clarify a bit?

One strange thing that happened with the other fork was when I went to pop out the seal using the "slide hammer" technique, the tube popped right through the seal even though the lower bush was wider than the ID of the seal. The seal was rotted and weak, so I guess that's how it came through. It's possible that I might be able to do the same thing with this one and then i can grab onto the rotted snap ring to get it out.

• Member Contributer

all you need.

a sharp pick . and small flat blade screw driver.

1st.

try pushing on one end of the snapring with the screwdriver to move it around the grove.. then take a pick and pry one end up. use the screw driver to stop it from going back in the grove and pry it out.

• Member Contributer

One strange thing that happened with the other fork was when I went to pop out the seal using the "slide hammer" technique, the tube popped right through the seal even though the lower bush was wider than the ID of the seal. The seal was rotted and weak, so I guess that's how it came through. It's possible that I might be able to do the same thing with this one and then i can grab onto the rotted snap ring to get it out.

I would not do that you could crack or destroy the snap ring groove. If both ends of the snap ring holes are gone then according the guy's post I read he took out enough of the seal underneath to jam the remaining part of snap ring and then jam it with bent screw driver and the then pushed the ring enough to move it out of the groove and then stick another small pick or screw driver in it.

The only other thing I can think is to take a Dremel with a small burr and cut a small area of the groove and the snap ring so as to half it for removal. Of course you would have to wrap the slider so as to not to damage it. You would have a small slot in the groove but that's better then whole tube.

DREMEL-91.gif0902315-11.jpg Burrs; Head Shape: Round Tip Point; Tooth Style: Double Cut; Cutting Diameter (Inch): 1/8; Length of Cut (Inch): 35/64; Shank Diameter (Inch): 1/8; Head Material: Tungsten Carbide Type of Cut: Double Cut Cutter Diameter (Inch): 1/8 Cutter Length (Inch): 35/64 Shape: Round Tip Point Shank Diameter (Inch): 1/8 Material: Carbide Tipped Manufacturer Part Number: 9910

• Member Contributer

I would not do that you could crack or destroy the snap ring groove. If both ends of the snap ring holes are gone then according the guy's post I read he took out enough of the seal underneath to jam the remaining part of snap ring and then jam it with bent screw driver and the then pushed the ring enough to move it out of the groove and then stick another small pick or screw driver in it.

The only other thing I can think is to take a Dremel with a small burr and cut a small area of the groove and the snap ring so as to half it for removal. Of course you would have to wrap the slider so as to not to damage it. You would have a small slot in the groove but that's better then whole tube.

DREMEL-91.gif0902315-11.jpg Burrs; Head Shape: Round Tip Point; Tooth Style: Double Cut; Cutting Diameter (Inch): 1/8; Length of Cut (Inch): 35/64; Shank Diameter (Inch): 1/8; Head Material: Tungsten Carbide Type of Cut: Double Cut Cutter Diameter (Inch): 1/8 Cutter Length (Inch): 35/64 Shape: Round Tip Point Shank Diameter (Inch): 1/8 Material: Carbide Tipped Manufacturer Part Number: 9910

That sounds like a decent idea. Even with a little groove cut perpendicular to the slot that the snap ring is in, it will have no effect on the sealing surface that's down below. I'll mess with it tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Member Contributer

That sounds like a decent idea. Even with a little groove cut perpendicular to the slot that the snap ring is in, it will have no effect on the sealing surface that's down below. I'll mess with it tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad I could help and I hope it works.

• Member Contributer

2 or 3 inches up from the snap ring black tape(or duct tape) the tube and then push it down to where your going to work. That or sleeve the tube with some type of metal tubing.

• Member Contributer

Glad I could help and I hope it works.

But yeh try to remove it we out cutting the housing of course ..

• Member Contributer

The Dremel bit did the trick. As you can see from the picture below, I wasn't able to cut it completely in half, but it was weakened to the point where it was easy to flex and pop out of the slot.

2013-09-12210952_zps19d97c25.jpg

Damage to the area above the snap ring groove was minimal and will have no adverse effect. The sealing surface is grungy - what should I use to clean this up? Croakus cloth or fine steel wool?

2013-09-12211054_zps5afdc8a1.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I got lucky this time and was able to salvage a good fork.

• Member Contributer

You the man Great job .....

You would have never pick that out .....

Yeh the Croakus cloth and then i have read where some the members here use aluminum foil to polish the metal after light sanding.

Now I have never use aluminum foil before so be careful at first and not to cut the sealing surface.

• Member Contributer

Tin foil works great for polishing chrome and removing light pitting. It doesn't scratch like steel wool either. Good suggestion, that should clean itt up nicely.

• Member Contributer

I can already hear my wife... "where is my roll of tin foil??!!!!??"

Note to self: go buy a roll myself...

Top Tip for when I clean my front fork stanchions!

Thnaks!

• Member Contributer

I can already hear my wife... "where is my roll of tin foil??!!!!??"

Note to self: go buy a roll myself...

Top Tip for when I clean my front fork stanchions!

Thnaks!

Your weclome ...

:goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy:

Archived