• Member Contributer

Other than regular tune ups/valve adjustments, nothing was done to the engine.

Major maintenance items:

chain/sprockets at approximately 33, 48, 60, 100, 150, 185k

That's an interesting log on chain life - low of about 12k and another at 15k, a high of about 50k and other at 40k. Is there anything that you might attribute that to . . . brand, maintenance practices, rain, adjustment, etc or luck of the draw? Just curious . . .

• Member Contributer

I proactively replaced the exhaust plumbing at 175k - didn't want to be on the road with a leak/crack from pitting/age.

Just curious, did you use oem or some aftermarket system?

Other than regular tune ups/valve adjustments, nothing was done to the engine.

Major maintenance items:

chain/sprockets at approximately 33, 48, 60, 100, 150, 185k

That's an interesting log on chain life - low of about 12k and another at 15k, a high of about 50k and other at 40k. Is there anything that you might attribute that to . . . brand, maintenance practices, rain, adjustment, etc or luck of the draw? Just curious . . .

No luck of the draw at all. You get what you pay for.

The 2 short lived ones were due to getting chain/sprocket combinations. Decent quality chains (RK I think) but piece of shite cheap steel sprockets. It's not that I didn't learn the lesson with the first set, but it's rapid demise occurred while I was in Alaska (on my long trip) and the only reasonably quick fix was to order another chain sprocket combo.

Since then I've always used OEM sprockets and DID x ring chains. The 50K (actually 52K) was the top line DID chain. The next time around the price difference between it and the next down (vm vs vmx2 or some such mix of designators) was close to a hundred dollars, more than the mileage gain was worth.

A Scott Oiler really helps if you're not conscientious about lubing your chain.

I proactively replaced the exhaust plumbing at 175k - didn't want to be on the road with a leak/crack from pitting/age.

Just curious, did you use oem or some aftermarket system?

Aftermarket - Delkavic I think (as mentioned earlier, I'm away from home and my maintenance records this week).

Still using the stock muffler. I had a Yosh slip on for about 30k, but its packing wore out and I still haven't gotten around to repacking it.

High mileage usually deducts from the value but I think at a certain point (like 200k!) that would just be cool to own even if they weren't all your miles. Your value just went UP!

Care to make an offer? :warranty:

200 K and counting - way to go! That's why we own Hondas. I've owned five of 'em, beginning with a 125cc CB 92 Benly that I regularly flogged on Highway 1 in Marin County back in the dark ages. Ended up burning valves due to running straight megaphones, but It survived and thankfully, so did I.

Archived