Need Urgent Help...keep My Aging, Beloved 94 Vfr Or Get 09 Sprint St Abs?

Good evening folks. I have one of the toughest dillemas of my spiritual/motorcycling life.

I have owned my 1994 VFR since 2004. Drove six hours from Fort Bragg, NC to Savannah, GA to test ride her. On the test ride it turned 80,000 miles. I have only put another 6,000+ on since. Unfortunately, I have dropped her (slow speed) a couple times, I replaced the starter clutch myself but stripped a cover bolt, that made her sit from 2006-2012. It was just repaired and reworked (helicoil, new clutch, oil change, tuneup, etc) and has been on the road and no problem since. However, I am absolutely inept at maintenance other than basic oil changes, plugs, etc. I suspect at 86,000 miles there is a bunch of things that are, or are going to be, needed (fork seals, chains, sprockets, who knows what else). I fear the inevitable cost that comes with age. BUT I love her, always have and have really found nothing that stirs me like her. If only I had a center up exhaust, hard bags and a SLIGHTLY more upright position for my aging wrists...

I stopped by the Triumph/Ducati store in town today, 10-minutes prior to closing and low and behold, a beautiful, dark blue 2009 Sprint ST/ABS. 8385 miles and less than $8,995. I will be test riding it tomorrow. Here is what I need help with.

1. I hope to do some longer rides (Dragon's Tail, long rides home, camping, etc) but really all I do is commute and day trips.

2. Arthritis etc in wrists, shoulders knees (25 years in the Army will do that) aren't unmanageable at all but noticeable. I am 42 and weigh 190 (and can't weigh any more than that, Uncle Sam would boot me out!).

3. As previously mentioned I'm pretty maintenance inept and need to balance my passion for the VFR with the need for "modern" reliable transportation and having to pay a mechanic to keep it tip-top shape.

4. What is current feedback on the ST (If any one knows)? I hear awesome motor, soft suspension, not good wind protection, etc but how does that relate to 20-year-old technology I currently ride? How does the ABS work, fuel injection, all that "new fangled" stuff I'm not used to on my old carbureated beauty.

5. I ADORE The VFR, everything about it. Always have, always will. Wanted a VF500 as a kid and have yet to find a bike I love like my 4th Gen. Contemplating a Gen 6...didn't much care for them but they are growing on me. I have seen artist concepts of a SWEET VFR 1000 that comes in ST and Sport riding trim...any truth to this and a timeline? I might wait if its real, quite frankly I can't stand the new version (no offense to anyone who owns one).

6. With my current riding style, it really is about styling and uniqueness to me, not the end all be all of whatever I'm searching for. The VFR stirs my soul. I hear the Sprint can do the same.

7. I have been riding almost 30 years but have much to learn and I need a good stable, trust-inspiring but spirited ride (another reason I love the VFR). I hear things about soft suspensions, etc. Do I need to be concerned?

8. I might need to trade in or sell the VFR (but would keep both in a perfect world, which isn't always an option with military moves. Any recommendations?

Any help I can get is appreciated. I love my VFR and don't want to get rid of it but, without a viable VFR to chose from that gets me going, the Sprint may fit the bill.

Please any help with this excruciating decision is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Niels

Thanks all. I look at her in the garage, ride every day, damn near (rain or shine). Scuffs, miles, probably needs a better owner than me, but nothing like her...I think, if I am to ADD a horse to the stable ok, but trading or selling, I just don't think I can bring myself to do it.

if the army trusts you not to screw things up too much.. i think we can get you to be a competent vfr 4th gen owner.

HA! True enough, really just about timing and a good mentor, I certainly have the desire and the capability but patience and focus...well that's a different story. That's why I started brewing beer as well, riding a bike and brewing require a great deal of awareness and focus and both are totally worth it in the end!

You sound like a guy who would rather ride than wrench.

Hey, me too. In which case get a newer bike.

I predict you will soon fall in love with it. Assuming you choose wisely. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I can only let you know that even if I could not wrench on my own bike I would keep the 4th gen....Mine is at 94k now and I have really not had to do anything to her(other then fix my mistakes...aka totaled her)....please see this post if you haven't ... I would keep the 4th Gen!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75680-is-250000-miles-on-a-vfr-possible/

I can only let you know that even if I could not wrench on my own bike I would keep the 4th gen....Mine is at 94k now and I have really not had to do anything to her(other then fix my mistakes...aka totaled her)....please see this post if you haven't ... I would keep the 4th Gen!

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75680-is-250000-miles-on-a-vfr-possible/

I am definitely going to keep her. I know I'd regret letting her go as soon as I did. I have been reading about some of the issues with the Sprint but all in all a good stablemate, if I can swing it. Has anyone heard more about the potential MotoGP based VFR that has both a sport touring and sport version? Is this more wishful thinking or actually close to fruition? I'd hate to put down cash for a Sprint when I could wait for a new VFR.

• Member Contributer

I am reasonably technically inept too.

Oil and plugs I do, as chain tension, tire pressure, brake pads, coolant and filling up the tank....

Brake fluid, tires, bearings and chain I leave to a shop.

So at your mileage, you MAY change the bearings, but if it ain't broke, donot fix it.

I am now at 78k km, never had the valves checked, never will. IF and that is a big IF the engine would ever give up, a spare one would cost me $300 and the help of a mate to swap it.

• Member Contributer

I seriously don't think I could get rid of mine. I've entertained the thought the getting a newer VFR, but it would have to be the Vulcan that goes, not the VFR. I think I would always regret it. It's funny that I kind of stumbled into my VFR after some bike trading and now I ride it much more than my other bike. Good luck thinking through your decision.

Chuck

Download the service manual from this site, tear the old girl down, and give her a full refit.

I usually half-disassemble my bike every winter. One year, it's the front end, the next, it's the back end.

Clean, inspect, grease, etc. That keeps surprises to a minimum and I get to bond with my bike in the garage.

Plus, it keeps it looking spiffy.

• Member Contributer

I got rid of a 4th gen, but I also had two at the time.

Not sure I would want a sprint and a VFR. Both are two different takes on the same bike. If you really want something more upright and good for a commute, look at the NC700X.

• Member Contributer

To help the wrists: get some bar risers, like Helibars. It will give you an inch or so and it makes a noticeable difference. I'm also 42 and feeling my joints, although it is a different problem for me: sitting at a computer 8-10 hours a day for 20 years with mediocre to poor posture will destroy your hips, shoulders and lower back...

Somebody on this board has a 4th gen that just turned 250k miles, so don't worry too much. Yeah, bearings and seals may need to be monitored and replaced as needed. Fork seals are not difficult, but a pain in the butt. I rebuilt my forks with Racetech valves and new springs so I re-built them while I was at it. I'd never done this before, but with the help of write-ups on this site, I got it done in one afternoon. Front wheel bearing are very easy to check and replace when you take your front wheel off.

I need to do my steering stem bearings next and probably take a look at my rear wheel and swingarm bearing to check them.

Other than that and replacing worn parts (tires, brake pads) and chaning the oil, this bike will keep running for a long time with very low maintenance.

I've also wanted to cheat on my girl (more power would be nice) and have been looking at Sprints, ZX12-R and Blackbirds -- but in the end, I like the mix of relatively light-ish weight, power and quality of the VFR. So instead, I'm trying to cheaply add hard luggage (I think at this point maybe just a top box will be enough) and keep the old girl.

Thanks all. You helped reinforce what the Sprint did for me on the test ride today!

She was beautiful and that triple exhaust note, the burble on downshifts, the throaty growl, is what I had hoped for something that is close to (but certainly not as good as) the VFR. I had a buddy follow me on a V Strom. It was a joy to ride, fun, smooth, powerful, sexy...about 20 minutes into the ride I started to notice this sensation...akin to eggs frying on the stove...my eggs and the stove was the seat! I'm not itching to have another kid, but this would have ensured it! Stopped, tried to put my Arai into the saddle bag NO GO! On the way back into town, stopped at a red light. Turns green, put it into gear, release clutch dies (embarrasment of thinking I dumped the clutch). Try to restart (insert weak turn over and NON start here). Battery dead. Pushed to the pharmacy parking lot, and picked it up on a trailer. At the shop, got the bike off, fired right up.

Needless to say, between your encouragement and the Sprints...I'm keeping my baby and giving her a little extra TLC she deserves. A great peer on the site here has a set of Givi hard bags he's willing to sell, heli-bars sound perfect, a little bit of oil, new chain and sprocket, eventually some fresh bodywork (no rush)...I feel like I need to run out and give her a big hug and buy her dinner for even thinking of cheating on her!

• Member Contributer

"I feel like I need to run out and give her a big hug and buy her dinner for even thinking of cheating on her!"

I think that is why I painted mine...she was only getting weekend attention since I bought the NC for commuting duties :wink:

So, as a (pretty much) lifelong Triumph rider/afficiando, I would say this. I have owned a '79 Bonneville for the last 27 years - as a toy and a talking-point it cannot be beaten and I cannot imagine ever giving it up. I have owned quite a few bikes over the years too, including a number of Hinckley Triumphs - an early Speed Triple, a T595 (beautiful bike) and a Daytona 955i (a better bike, but not as beautiful as the T595). I also own a '97 VFR...

In my opinion, the VFR is the best bike I've ever owned and ridden and I would now choose it over a Triumph (almost) every day of the week - and that's not the easiest thing for a Triumph man to say.

The only real alternative is surely a later, lower-mileage VFR750...

Archived