New To Me '93 ...anything I Should Look For...aside From Twisties?

• Member Contributer

So...after 10 years of being obsessed with this bike , and 600 miles of seat time...

I have decided it is not for me.

Careful whatchya wish for eh?

Oh well, off to search for V-Stroms or something .

• Member Contributer

So...after 10 years of being obsessed with this bike , and 600 miles of seat time...

I have decided it is not for me.

Careful whatchya wish for eh?

Oh well, off to search for V-Stroms or something .

Any particular reason why?

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Hey Rollin--

1) unless I'm actually "riding" this it feels heavy and awkward...to me.

2) I think riding a dual sport for so long ruined me for the Sport thing. I don't like leaning over the bars and I lost my view in traffic.

3) Too pretty and too much plastic obscuring maintenance items. I'm constantly worried about scratching the paint or whatever.

It is a great bike and I do love it BUT, it is my only bike and only feels right 20% of the time.

I really think someone else would appreciate it more.

My new tires didn't even arrive yet :(

I also think that I got lazy (yes fat and out of shape) riding a spongy single with a 21" front rim.

ah mate give it a chance...

1) what you doing if you're not riding it?

2) sit up...works well as an air break over about 90MPH

3) yeah well I've got a 4th gen so its not as pretty so I'm not so bothered. But ...THEY DON'T NEED MAINTENANCE...just TLC

4) if you're not happy riding a particular bike don't coz we do it for fun not safety...enjoy what you get instead.

4.5) tyres are everything

Installing a set of quality tires like Michelin Pilot Powers will completely change the feel of the bike especially if it has anything near OEM tires on it.

It won't fix your other worries, but will vastly improve how the bike feels and handles.

BR

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input

The not wanting to hurt the bike cosmetically is a thing. I ride every day commuting and carry shtuff to and from. I searched for a hard luggage solution but came up empty for 3rd Gen. So, I've taken to using my OLD Chase Harper softies and a Manta XL tank bag. Allready noticed a couple of new blemishes. That bums me out.

Bailey, I know the new rubber will undo a lot of the ghosts in the machine (Currently sporting a pair of Pilot Road 2s--the front is totally raped by PO rear is guilty by association for sure). New front is tracking to hit the door tomorrow and the new rear will be here Wed/Thurs.

jus

Hoping that improvement will be substantial. Also will be dealing with rejuicing the front forks this week. ( I read your front/rear shock WOW today BTW. Good Stuff).

If the tires do their magic and I can get rid of the noodley hobby horsing in the rough turns I will be 90% happy. From there it is probably just a matter of getting ME in shape and/or do a mod to the handle bars which will move to an MX style bar and clamps per the Superbike Handlebar Mod Thread.

just read this..... http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/42750-pilot-road-2s-as-a-sport-tire-review/

yup. slow turning. was expecting Pirelli Sport Demon fall in. Nope, and they are WORN.

Ok. I'll leave the poor horse be for now,

I know I'm getting in late on the conversation, and that others have already suggested the VFRness, however, pick one up and install it. I picked up my 91 with 30K on it and had all sorts of issues for quite awhile until the entire wiring harness went. I picked up a new one, rewired the entire bike, and installed a VFRness and new R/R and haven't had an issue with the bike since (it's been two + years). I'm literally commuting on the thing every day now and love it (except my commute is I4 which means I don't get out of first gear and have way too much clutch and brake action). Congratulations on the bike, the white is an awesome color for the 3rd gen.

Sincerely,

Dirtydizzogg

If the tires do their magic and I can get rid of the noodley hobby horsing

Sorry, but that line made me lol. Not even considering the fact that you cam from a DR! :goofy:

Hope you get everything sorted so you can fully enjoy.

• Member Contributer

I'm glad you got a kick out of that.

After two miniceptors and a couple dual sports I really expected this thing to be a bullet train.

I got pretty familiar with the DR650 and could keep up pretty well with my buddy on his SV650.(YRMV)

New tires in hand and hoping to get them swapped by end of week.

Installed a centerstand today so now I can lube and whatnot. (no lift or track stands yet).

Thanks for keeping an eye out SEB.

• Member Contributer

I hope you appreciate your VFR as much as I do, but it may not be for everybody. I love mine, although I understand that different bikes are for different people.

Regarding the blemishes, you may want to wax your rear fairing, and then lay down clear contact paper liberally. It comes off relatively cleanly, and that should take most of the wear. This, of course, is not a concern I have as the PO has already taken the liberty of "breaking in" my fairing. Several times.

• Member Contributer

just got back from a 60 miles of a deer dodging, bunny hopping session in what passes for twisties here in NEO.

It's not the bike (you knew that) It's me.

I'm afraid to lean this "heavy thing".

Although after post ride debrief it appears I was leaning quite a bit. Doesn't feel like it, but the tires say so??

Also felt slow but my riding buddy disagreed.

Weird.

More seat time will bring me around. I definitely had some moments of bliss between the awkward stretches.

Starting to like it more.

Nowyudunnit! By installing that boat anchor of a centerstand, you just lopped of 10 mph from your top end! :comp13::goofy:

turns out it is more like a keel :blink:

• Member Contributer

Pretty Sure I'm selling this or trading for a Midsize ADV Touring thing (Buell, Vstrom,etc.)

Anybody want a White 3rd gen with new tires? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Eager Beaver ! :D

If my friend passes (he called first dibs the day I got it ) then it will be on the block (Trade or sale) this coming week.

Funny to see you trading this away for an ADV bike... I have a restored 93 that I am seriously considering the exact same trade with. If I could ever get a title from the PO...

Value for Value, how do you feel about your original trade? 05 VStrom 650 for the VFR? I've been looking hard at the VStrom's myself.

Wow! So clean and nice. I want to ride it just to see how it feels compared to mine (which was found rotting in someones yard).

I would recommend just getting a VFRness now and a new R/R. Mine died at 31000.

Sounds like I need to pay attention to ny R/R. The voltmeter climbs quickly to 14.9 volts as I ride.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Member Contributer

Funny to see you trading this away for an ADV bike... I have a restored 93 that I am seriously considering the exact same trade with. If I could ever get a title from the PO...

Value for Value, how do you feel about your original trade? 05 VStrom 650 for the . VFR? I've been looking hard at the VStrom's myself.

BTW , the original trade was for a DR650SE....I felt like $ for $ I was close. BUT Mile to Smile....

I was very comfortable on the DR. Had spent the last year dialing in the ergos for me. Plenty of grunt to get me around with a load and extremely agile for a budget dual sport. Carved corners very well due to its crappy suspension. (not great off road ironically).

It wasn't as appealing for long highway stretches because of the single cylinder. Not that it struggled, but that I felt bad about it. Might have been my ignorance and experience from a previous thumper dying in my arms.

I miss the DR but if I am going that route again I want another cylinder and a few more ponies.

• Member Contributer

Pretty Sure I'm selling this or trading for a Midsize ADV Touring thing (Buell, Vstrom,etc.)

Yes.

• Member Contributer

Yes.

Just got back from 300 miles in western PA.

My conclusion is this...

Nothing wrong with the bike. It ate up RT666 to Minister Creek like it lived there.

Nothing wrong with me ( OK...I could stand to lose 25 pounds ).

It's North East Ohio...VERY few twisties even fewer hills. Once I got into the hills and curves I was LOVING this bike....but eventually I had to head home and THAT IS WHEN T DAWNED ON ME.

Sooooo..... Definitely looking toward an ADV Tourish thingy with at least a pair of thumpers in it.

I guess we just cannot change your mind to keep the fantastic white wonderbike........put it in the classifieds forum asap and let someone else (hopefully in this forum) have fun with it as summers' already started!

• Member Contributer

So I figured it would be easier and safer to sell the Great White Hope with new rubber.

Had a pair of Shinkos installed. 009 rear and a 005 front.

umm......I'm going to need leathers and some pucks...

that is all. :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

this beauty is heading to the horse trading ring soon.

i am an ADV / Dual Sport guy and cant find the love on this.

trades or fair $ as sooon as i figure out a vfrd #

Archived