My New Workstand

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

My New Moveable Workstand

Since I have finished the Wif's projects I can now work on my own : )
I will finish putting together & shoot some more pic's with the bike on it. My challenge has been being able to tear the bike apart for cleaning and to get her painted, with all of the SO's stuff all over the garage. Previously I would hang the bike from the ceiling but then it would be there till I got her all back together, so i saw the aerostich stand
and thought thats cool but what would make it better would be wheels! so Harbor Freight has these dollies for about 9.00 apiece, they hold 1000lbs each, that with the milk crates, 12" wide solid core door Piece I had laying around a couple of bucks for bolts and WooHoo I have a moveable stand. Roll the bike up, place on center stand, block center stand & take off front wheel & I can put my forks with the new racetech springs on, install my new VFRness, clean her up then start sanding and Paint the body/tank White!

• Member Contributer

How do you plan to hold that thing in place while you try to roll the bike onto it? Looks just plain scary to me.

To me this looks very unsafe. Even without the dollies and the bike this high off the floor you will need at least one tall person to keep the bike upright while attaching the straps.

• Member Contributer

When I do load the bike on it will be a two person job, for safety, I will place the front against the wall and push the bike up a 80" ramp so the incline will be minimal. Once up tiedown each side then put the bike on the centerstand and instant moveable workstand. watch the video on the link, if that person can do it by themselves with the stand at least 13" high, I am positive two can do 18" height no problem.

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/maintenance-repairs/bikestands/aerostich-aluminum-wheel-crate-workstand-three-crate.html

• Member Contributer

Its completed and loaded....

2013 06 01 11.38.05

2013 06 01 12.17.36

I was very surprised to find out how easy it is to push the bike up, I had my Neighbor help me, then hop up and put down the center stand. It is very stable and for a total of about 40 bucks out of pocket and a few hours I can't complain!

• Member Contributer

I would scab a two by four on each side, making it 3 inches wider. Looks like your center stand is almost wider than the section of door. Not knocking your inventiveness, it just needs some modification.

• Member Contributer

I look forward to the YouTube video of your bike crashing off of that thing.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Very clever. If it works then it serves the purpose you built it for. How do you get it up on the centre stand?

I stood on the side as I normally would...it was easy with the "Optional Decking" It is very stable I have the centerstand tied to the exhaust so it will not move.

• Member Contributer

I look forward to the YouTube video of your bike crashing off of that thing.

Rollin

+1 ......Mr Murphy would be proud.

• Member Contributer

It is an inventive solution - and out of curiosity I took a look at the Aerostitch version. The description indicates "two heavy-duty dairy crates (not the lightweight department store storage boxes)"and rates the stand for 500 lbs.

Wet weight of the 2008 VFR is 540 lbs. I'm sure that the solid core door will handle it, and you definitely took the weight into account for the doilies - but in the pictures you posted look like you are just using standard milk cartons. (Although it is hard to tell just from a photo). Those seem to be the weak link.

Quite honestly I would seriously hesitate using the Aerostitch version. Using any lift or stand at capacity (or, in this case 40lbs over capacity) seems to be asking for a potential problem. This concern also transfers to your solution - ow can you be sure that your crates are rated for 540lbs?

The other concern that I would have is of the entire stand tipping over - bike and all. The height which is fantastic when you are trying to do maintenance can work against you. Think about a strong wind hitting the bike when outdoors, or catching a small wheel on a rock or ridge when moving the unit. Be cautious!

Crossing my fingers that you will not have issues, but I wanted to voice a couple of specific concerns.

• Member Contributer

You know there is a website that compiles pictures of similar brilliant ideas and then gives a prestigous award to recognize the winner's stupidity ingenuity.

Hopefully you won't be injured too badly when the entire things topple on top of you. Sorry for being so blunt but this is just a recipe for disaster and believe it or not we really don't want to see you get hurt.

post-14198-0-75115400-1370174449.jpg

Rollin

• Member Contributer

That picture of the truck is priceless. In the 70's my brother jacked up his Malibu with two bumper jacks, both on the passenger side, to change out his muffler. He told me to crawl under and do it and I refused. If I planned to work on my bike elevated all the time I would just pony up for the Harbor Freight lift that's $300 with a coupon. Cheaper than damaged parts or emergency room visits. But that's just me.

Archived