Possible 2014 Colors

Guest Leo167

You mean the last year as in no more VFR?

I am not partial to the current styling, but I wonder what an RC30 paint scheme version would look like...?

Given the sales (or lack thereof) I can't imagine them bringing a '14. You can still buy '10s brand new. Maybe they'll skip a year like they did in '11, or just axe it altogether.

I'm always confused by people who put so much stock in OEM paint schemes. Your nearest paint shop can make it any color in the rainbow...

• Member Contributer

Given the sales (or lack thereof) I can't imagine them bringing a '14. You can still buy '10s brand new. Maybe they'll skip a year like they did in '11, or just axe it altogether.

I'm always confused by people who put so much stock in OEM paint schemes. Your nearest paint shop can make it any color in the rainbow...

+1

Don't tell anyone but Honda's vfr1200 paint is shiny but cheap. Knees will wear thru paint in less than 500 miles. That's why everyone is using tank pads.

Buy a 10' for a smoking deal and have it painted the color YOU want....not the single color option Honda gives us. It'll be better quality paint also with more than 1 layer of clear coat. No need for ugly tank pad

I got T-boned at an intersection last week, on my Diavel Dark...did some stat reading and found darker bikes have a 28% greater chance of not being seen... Seems BS to me cause I had previous bikes that were black

But as I was thinking about it, all my mishaps that involved a car was on a black bike with black jacket and helmets

So Being spooked from this last event.. Thinking on getting a white bike, thats why I asked , in the hopes of someone knowing or heard of something that the red or white might be for 14.. But repainting it to whatever color is not bad advice either

I've been hit in both bright or dark colors. :wacko: Actually, white is not exactly a color for best visibility. Bright it may be, but it doesn't stand out. Fluorescent yellow you see so often on Hi-Viz gear is not even the best. It's actually fluorescent pink. I suspect they don't do it because not too many guys are man enough to wear pink.

+1

Don't tell anyone but Honda's vfr1200 paint is shiny but cheap. Knees will wear thru paint in less than 500 miles. That's why everyone is using tank pads.

Buy a 10' for a smoking deal and have it painted the color YOU want....not the single color option Honda gives us. It'll be better quality paint also with more than 1 layer of clear coat. No need for ugly tank pad

I use tank pads for the grip they provide for my knees. Whether it is to keep me from sliding forward or to keep my fat ass from falling off...gotta have tank pads. Regardless of the bike color, tank pads go on my bikes.

• Member Contributer

+1

I agree, it is. The manus are spraying paint and clear in one shot, instead of multi-layered as in the past. EPA, and cost to thank.

With any new Japanese bike I pull the fairings and have 2-3 layers of clearcoat added to protect the paint.

I got T-boned at an intersection last week, on my Diavel Dark...did some stat reading and found darker bikes have a 28% greater chance of not being seen... Seems BS to me cause I had previous bikes that were black

But as I was thinking about it, all my mishaps that involved a car was on a black bike with black jacket and helmets

So Being spooked from this last event.. Thinking on getting a white bike, thats why I asked , in the hopes of someone knowing or heard of something that the red or white might be for 14.. But repainting it to whatever color is not bad advice either

Just get a leftover 2010 or 2012 for 10k and have it painted. I will be painting mine this year, white, pearl white, similar to the European model. Going to paint my cases as well (bought them all used). As I said in my last post I always add clearcoat any way so no big deal for me. I've got two local shops that do bike work, for a decent price.

I've been hit in both bright or dark colors. :wacko: Actually, white is not exactly a color for best visibility. Bright it may be, but it doesn't stand out. Fluorescent yellow you see so often on Hi-Viz gear is not even the best. It's actually fluorescent pink. I suspect they don't do it because not too many guys are man enough to wear pink.

No pink... Red sure

+1

I agree, it is. The manus are spraying paint and clear in one shot, instead of multi-layered as in the past. EPA, and cost to thank.

With any new Japanese bike I pull the fairings and have 2-3 layers of clearcoat added to protect the paint.

Just get a leftover 2010 or 2012 for 10k and have it painted. I will be painting mine this year, white, pearl white, similar to the European model. Going to paint my cases as well (bought them all used). As I said in my last post I always add clearcoat any way so no big deal for me. I've got two local shops that do bike work, for a decent price.

Been searching and nothing close enough for me to drive to.. Just a bit skeptical on buying a bike site unseen

I really wouldn't spray refinishing clear directly over OEM paint. No refinish urethane clears recommend cured clearcoat as a substrate. The top refinish clear will not bond chemically with the cured OEM clear underneath. The best you can hope for is a thorough scuffing of the OEM clear to get a decent mechanical bond. Contrary to popular believe, thicker isn't always better in automotive paint. There is such a thing as too thick coat of paint. The additional paint thickness will be prone to cracking, especially on flexible plastic panels.

The OEM finish on the VFR1200 is not too shabby. Honda made a big deal of the excellent DOI (Distinctiveness of Image) and rightfully so. It is the best I've seen in any automotive OEM finish, bar none. Durability I don't know. Most OEM systems are water-based these days. Not exactly the best it can be, but auto paint technology has evolved tremendously even since I started playing with it some 20yrs ago.

Only part I find subpar is the black paint on the '10's fuel tank. Honda seemed to rectified that since '12, as it is now the same metallic silver as the rest of the accent trim pieces.

I've been shooting automotive paint as a hobby since the earlier 90's. Started out painting spoilers, side skirts and other aftermarket add-on. Then did some overall jobs. I refinished an '86 XJ700 in candy apply red. Those 3-stage paints are a pain in the neck, but looks fantastic. Here was my last big project: JCW body kit on an '08 Mini Cooper Clubman S. I even color-matched the Hella driving lights.

post-23836-0-33035600-1370057950.jpg

post-23836-0-94303200-1370057960.jpg

post-23836-0-38938600-1370057971.jpg

• Member Contributer

I really wouldn't spray refinishing clear directly over OEM paint. No refinish urethane clears recommend cured clearcoat as a substrate. The top refinish clear will not bond chemically with the cured OEM clear underneath. The best you can hope for is a thorough scuffing of the OEM clear to get a decent mechanical bond. Contrary to popular believe, thicker isn't always better in automotive paint. There is such a thing as too thick coat of paint. The additional paint thickness will be prone to cracking, especially on flexible plastic panels.

You always scuff it up. Works like a charm.

I've added clear to every bike for the last decade and never had anything crack or prone to cracking. Nothing but better durability.

You just have to do it right.

CIMG1108_zps16a7def0.jpg

Honda picked well for '10 and '12 (here in US). The '13 I'm not crazy about, but then I've never been a fan of black for cars or bikes. I think Honda probably should skip a year, like they did in '11. There are still left over '10, 12, and now I'm sure the '13. I've talked to several Honda dealers who are not keen on stocking the '13, but they may have to to satisfy contract. Last thing you want is to force dealers to stock a bike they don't like and much care to sell.

• Member Contributer

My vote is for the Iron Maiden edition.. Go Eddie

Fixed it for you.

EVHbike_zpsb5041bf9.jpg

Seriously, there's a guy on this forum with a '10 1200 whose red fairings he painted white and whose silver fairings he painted blue (the wheels are blue, too.) Now that bike got my attention. I realize the color scheme was probably patterned after a BMW or Aprilia but it still looks good. Personally, I don't like drawing attention to myself, but I really like what he did. It's tasteful and doesn't scream "look at me."

Archived