Possible 2014 Colors

Guest Leo167

• Member Contributer

Found it. The Eagles being my favorite band, I admit I'm partial to this picture (I still like Tequila Sunrise better, though.)

WhiteampBlueVFR1200_zps7a7e0875.jpg

• Member Contributer

Found it. The Eagles being my favorite band, I admit I'm partial to this picture (I still like Tequila Sunrise better, though.)

That's the background for my computer

It's a 1 off. No copies allowed :warranty::warranty::warranty:

Thanks, I went with blue instead of red so it didn't scream "look at me"

Actually, idea came from my Jack in the Box soda straw :blink:

My vote is for the Iron Maiden edition.. Go Eddie

Fixed it for you. EVHbike_zpsb5041bf9.jpg Seriously, there's a guy on this forum with a '10 1200 whose red fairings he painted white and whose silver fairings he painted blue (the wheels are blue, too.) Now that bike got my attention. I realize the color scheme was probably patterned after a BMW or Aprilia but it still looks good. Personally, I don't like drawing attention to myself, but I really like what he did. It's tasteful and doesn't scream "look at me."
Hmm... guess your not a maiden fan..but hey VH is good too .... Just didn't care for them so much when

Haggar came along

Found it. The Eagles being my favorite band, I admit I'm partial to this picture (I still like Tequila Sunrise better, though.)[/size]

Hey that looks good.... Curious how it would it look if you went white with the plastics under the seat?

Just saw an unplugged thing that the eagles did.. Pretty kool.. I don't think it was recent .. Joe Walsh didn't look so old yet

I've talked to several Honda dealers who are not keen on stocking the '13, but they may have to to satisfy contract. Last thing you want is to force dealers to stock a bike they don't like and much care to sell.

That is exactly what my search experience is ...3 in my area just really don't want to bother with them, not enough of a demand, actually all 3 said I'm the first to inquire about the vfr since 2011 wtf ?? Thought these things had a cult following? Or was it the last Gen.. Did Big Red F up?

I see no 12's let alone 10's within a 250 mile radius ( really don't want t go beyond that not unless it was given to me )

There are only 3 in that radius that actually have a 13 on the floor.. And 2 of them are in a dealer that has a bad rep

And the other one is in West NY ..... A bit far

But I am working with one dealer in NJ that can order one and says he can have it in his facility in a week,, think I can go by that? Don't want to hear excuses after I drop some money and don't see the bike till Sept... So we're at $14,800 With me doing the DMV

What do you guys think is this somewhat of a fair / decent number?

• Member Contributer

Curious how it would it look if you went white with the plastics under the seat?

I stared at the back panel for hours on end (I park the bike inside next to my dest at work. Benefits of being the boss)....IMO the lines don't match any other parts of the bike, so I decided to blend it in with the back portion by blacking it out. It matches the tank so I think it flows better that way. Personal opinion

I was one of the masses that hated the look of the bike when Honda 1st released pictures of it, but I was ready to sell my vfr800. Great bike. Just not exciting enough for me. After doing a ton of research on the vfr1200, I knew it was the bike for me. The appreciation for the looks came with time. Even grew to like the OEM exhaust. Now I think it's beautiful for being unique, and wil be the first to admit it's not the bike for A LOT of people. Nevertheless, I'll be riding mine till the wheels fall off.

I've talked to several Honda dealers who are not keen on stocking the '13, but they may have to to satisfy contract. Last thing you want is to force dealers to stock a bike they don't like and much care to sell.

That is exactly what my search experience is ...3 in my area just really don't want to bother with them, not enough of a demand, actually all 3 said I'm the first to inquire about the vfr since 2011 wtf ?? Thought these things had a cult following? Or was it the last Gen.. Did Big Red F up?

I see no 12's let alone 10's within a 250 mile radius ( really don't want t go beyond that not unless it was given to me )

There are only 3 in that radius that actually have a 13 on the floor.. And 2 of them are in a dealer that has a bad rep

But I am working with one dealer in NJ that can order one and says he can have it in his facility in a week,, think I can go by that? Don't want to hear excuses after I drop some money and don't see the bike till Sept... So we're at $14,800 With me doing the DMV

Everybody has a theory on why VFR1200 didn't sell. Honda went with a formula with a narrow demographic that they had to have known was not going to sell in great numbers. The benchmark was clearly K1300S, which BMW probably sells 1 for every 100 RT's or 200 GS's. Honda only has the geriatric ST1300 that bike mags don't even bother to include in their comparos any more. Oh well.

In and of itself, an open class gentleman's sportbike with arguably better refinement than even the BMW K1300S ought to be a real bargain at $14,8k +TTL. Unfortunately, '12s and '10s are so heavily discounted you can't help but hesitate. In the end, it's all what it is worth to you.

• Member Contributer

That's very nice, how much does it set you back for a custom job like that?

$1150

The powder coat guy told me $200 a wheel, when I took him my front wheel. Then he said if I brought him the wheels together, he do them both for $200...Huh?! 2 wheels at once it was. Both painters left room for me to haggle, but I was happy with the price. Not like I'm going to haggle with the quality, I'd rather just call around and find the best deal for what I want done. Like distance travelled and time required to finish.

The thing about spending large amounts of money....and this includes buying a motorcycle...is that if you're happy with what you did and use it for all its worth, in the long run...you'll be ok with what you paid.

Finished up the look by adding engine guards yesterday. Hoping they'll only be used in an accidental tip over, and I love the fact that they black out the engine. Highlights the blue accent a little more too.

• Member Contributer

My vote is for the Iron Maiden edition.. Go Eddie

Fixed it for you. EVHbike_zpsb5041bf9.jpg Seriously, there's a guy on this forum with a '10 1200 whose red fairings he painted white and whose silver fairings he painted blue (the wheels are blue, too.) Now that bike got my attention. I realize the color scheme was probably patterned after a BMW or Aprilia but it still looks good. Personally, I don't like drawing attention to myself, but I really like what he did. It's tasteful and doesn't scream "look at me."
Hmm... guess your not a maiden fan..but hey VH is good too .... Just didn't care for them so much when

Haggar came along

Found it. The Eagles being my favorite band, I admit I'm partial to this picture (I still like Tequila Sunrise better, though.)[/size]

Hey that looks good.... Curious how it would it look if you went white with the plastics under the seat?

Just saw an unplugged thing that the eagles did.. Pretty kool.. I don't think it was recent .. Joe Walsh didn't look so old yet

I do like Maiden. I've got two of their CD's on my i-Pod. I've got 7 Van Halen CD's on it as well. 5150 is one of my favorite VH CD's.

My favorite Eagles lineup has always been (and will always be) Henley, Frey, Leadon, and Meisner. A couple weeks ago I bought the History of the Eagles 3 DVD set. It's really good. Something I was hoping they'd mention is why, on the original studio version of Tequila Sunrise, the first two verses had 16 bars while the third only had 12 yet when they went on tour, they added four additional bars to the third verse and changed the entire lyrics to the third verse as well. It's probably my all-time favorite song (followed by Lyin' Eyes, New Kid in Town and Take It Easy.)

Curious how it would it look if you went white with the plastics under the seat?

I stared at the back panel for hours on end (I park the bike inside next to my dest at work. Benefits of being the boss)....IMO the lines don't match any other parts of the bike, so I decided to blend it in with the back portion by blacking it out. It matches the tank so I think it flows better that way. Personal opinion

I was one of the masses that hated the look of the bike when Honda 1st released pictures of it, but I was ready to sell my vfr800. Great bike. Just not exciting enough for me. After doing a ton of research on the vfr1200, I knew it was the bike for me. The appreciation for the looks came with time. Even grew to like the OEM exhaust. Now I think it's beautiful for being unique, and wil be the first to admit it's not the bike for A LOT of people. Nevertheless, I'll be riding mine till the wheels fall off.

I feel the same way. I didn't care for the 1200 when it first came out but it's grown on me. My 6th gen. is a great bike but I'm itching for a change (I've had it six years now.) I think the reason the 1200 hasn't sold well is because, while the bike does a lot of things well, it doesn't do any one thing great (and, apparently, people prefer bikes built for a specific purpose, e.g. racing, touring, etc.)

I was in Arizona and Nevada on my bike a few months ago. There's a lot of open space out there, that's for sure. I couldn't believe how big the Saguaro cactus gets.

• Member Contributer

I snapped this pic just south of Wickenburg (don't laugh at the touring windscreen I had on; they're a tremendous help on long trips.)

Arizona_zps633c8d64.jpg

• Member Contributer

Are you asking if the 2012 VFR1200 is worth $14,800 + TTL? Possibly.

If you are asking if they change hands for $3,000 less in other areas of the country. Absolutely.

• Member Contributer

Everybody has a theory on why VFR1200 didn't sell. Honda went with a formula with a narrow demographic that they had to have known was not going to sell in great numbers. The benchmark was clearly K1300S, which BMW probably sells 1 for every 100 RT's or 200 GS's. Honda only has the geriatric ST1300 that bike mags don't even bother to include in their comparos any more. Oh well.

In and of itself, an open class gentleman's sportbike with arguably better refinement than even the BMW K1300S ought to be a real bargain at $14,8k +TTL. Unfortunately, '12s and '10s are so heavily discounted you can't help but hesitate. In the end, it's all what it is worth to you.

Arguably better refinement, true. I hate to sound like one of those squids who only compares spec sheets but the K1300S with a full tank of fuel weighs about what a 6th gen VFR weighs, 80-100 lbs less than the VFR1200.

While the VFR1200 and the K1300s have a list price in the same neighborhood ($15,555 for the K bike) I think that while Honda was trying to raise the value of their product offering by pricing it there, it creates a bad taste when you pay list price for VFR and the next guy gets it at a 25-30% discount.

How would you like to be the guy selling your two year old VFR1200 and needed 1 grand above what a new costs to cover the loan?

(full disclosure - I just bought a geriatric ST1300A)

I think the reason the 1200 hasn't sold well is because, while the bike does a lot of things well, it doesn't do any one thing great (and, apparently, people prefer bikes built for a specific purpose, e.g. racing, touring, etc.)

Aren't the bikes that are selling the best right now (GS, Tigers, Multistrada, S10) the do-it-alls though? The only sin the 7th gen committed was having the name "VFR." That comes with expectations and heritage, and I think it was too big a departure in style, price, and performance for most people (or everyone had already bought a 6th gen.)

As always, :beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer
I think the reason the 1200 hasn't sold well is because, while the bike does a lot of things well, it doesn't do any one thing great (and, apparently, people prefer bikes built for a specific purpose, e.g. racing, touring, etc.)

Aren't the bikes that are selling the best right now (GS, Tigers, Multistrada, S10) the do-it-alls though? The only sin the 7th gen committed was having the name "VFR." That comes with expectations and heritage, and I think it was too big a departure in style, price, and performance for most people (or everyone had already bought a 6th gen.)

As always, :beatdeadhorse:

Those are adventure bikes you can take almost anywhere. The VFR is a pure street bike.

• Member Contributer

Arguably better refinement, true. I hate to sound like one of those squids who only compares spec sheets but the K1300S with a full tank of fuel weighs about what a 6th gen VFR weighs, 80-100 lbs less than the VFR1200.

While the VFR1200 and the K1300s have a list price in the same neighborhood ($15,555 for the K bike) I think that while Honda was trying to raise the value of their product offering by pricing it there, it creates a bad taste when you pay list price for VFR and the next guy gets it at a 25-30% discount.

How would you like to be the guy selling your two year old VFR1200 and needed 1 grand above what a new costs to cover the loan?

I got mine at 38% off of MSRP. That's the best I've done on a bike purchase but that has more to do with how Honda priced this thing than anything else. I've been lucky or a stubborn SOB as I usually pay invoice or less for any new bike purchase over my riding career with a couple of exceptions of thousands below invoice (my last 2 bikes, and good price due to economy/sales).

I'd be pretty sore if I had bought a VFR1200 for thousands more during initial release. Honda does this though. In 2000 I bought a 929RR (2001 model) in late December. I thought I was doing well to buy a 2nd year model but the next summer Honda dropped the price substantially, F'in me on resale. They did this again (that I personally know about) in 2009. I had bought the first red/black '08 1000RR in April of 2008. I know a GM so I got a pretty good deal for a first year, all new model. Summer of 2009, Honda states that they found a missing shipment of them on some boat/shipyard and dropped the price on new ones to $7500 (reality was some were burning oil, got a nasty rep for it, so they slashed prices). I was so pissed off but luckily I sold it 3 days after they announced this pricing structure and my buyer didn't know about it. I sold it to him for $1k more than he could have walked into a dealership and bought a new one for. I was lucky.

After that I vowed to let any new Honda model soak in the market for 2 years, and let any other model I'm interested in soak for at least 18 months. Served me well on my last 2 purchases. R1 was bought for $6k off, and the VFR for almost the same discount. Cars/bikes, just wait it out.

Actually, the VFR1200F weighs about 30 lbs more than the K1300S, and about 50 lbs more than the VFR800. See:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2010-bmw-k1300s-vs-honda-vfr1200f-shootout-89414.html

I test rode extensively a demo '13 K1300S and it actually felt heavier than the VFR1200. I agree with pretty much everything that was said in the above Shootout. Still think both are great bikes in a class of 2.

No doubt Honda set an unrealistic MSRP for the VFR1200. Then again, so is the ST1300, when compared to much newer Japanese rivals.

Can't comment on what others paid for their VFRs. I can only say I am very pleased to fork over a few Washingtons over 1/2 the MSRP.

Are you asking if the 2012 VFR1200 is worth $14,800 + TTL? Possibly.

If you are asking if they change hands for $3,000 less in other areas of the country. Absolutely.

No the $14,800 is for a 2013... I'm seeing 2012's for around $11,999 but way far from me..... $11,199 is very attractive and a plane ticket to somewhere in the Midwest would be worth it... But don't have the time to ride her back to NY, I know I can get it shipped but don't like to buy things sight unseen.... I'll see it's still early and waiting for insurance company to reimburse me for my bike

Did I mention I hate dealerships that put up low ball prices, don't update their inventory, or list the damn bikes that they sell incorrectly

Honda wasn't trying to raise the value of their bike by pricing it where they did...it's an expensive bike to produce.

All V4's are, and the level of fit and finish on top of that - makes it a bit of a marquee bike for the Honda brand.

I wouldn't have paid $16k for the bike, but I wouldn't buy a new K1300S either.

Now that I own it, I think it's probably worth the asking price - but I wouldn't have bought it and would never know.

At around $13k I might have...

I wonder if the '07 RWB color scheme could be made to work on the 1200...

Archived