Advice For Stretching Leathers Just A Tad?

mk2davis

• Member Contributer

I'm going to the Lee Parks school this weekend, and I tried on some leathers that have been in storage for a while. While they have always been on the small side for me, they now seem pretty tight. I wore them for about 15 minutes tonight while I moved around and stretched a little bit, and they did relax a little bit.

What can I do to aid this relaxation process? I plan on working in some leather conditioner tomorrow, and maybe go for a short ride. What else should I do?

• Member Contributer

I don't know how much I can accomplish in 6 days! Dam So Cal and delicious Mexican food. Luckily, leathers are not a requirement and I do have other options.

Of course I'd prefer leathers, but I'm not going through the course for 9 hours with my boys in a vice.

• Member Contributer

Lee Park's school is up on the desert right?

Put those leathers on, and soak 'em down. Ride. They'll keep you cool, and fit better at the end of the day. Plus when they dry out you'll be a little bit faster.

• Member Contributer

It seems to be move around A LOT. This one is at Camp Pendleton, but there are some at WSIR that don't work for me because of scheduling.

Just to clarify, soak them in water or condiitioner?

• Member Contributer

put on a pair of jogging pants and a bunch of shirts under your leathers.

To a point that is is reallly tight. Then move about, sit on your bike for a while and move about..

It is them calories................. little creatures that crawl into your clothes cabinet and work tirelesly to make your clothes smaller day by day... :goofy:

I put on my leathers for the first time a couple of months ago for the first time in probably 1.5 years. They were tighter than I remembered, but had a track day to do in 2 weeks. Ended up dropping 11 pounds in 12 days (probably most was water weight). They fit much better by the time the track day happened though.

On the day of, wear something like Under Armor under the leathers. Nice and thin and will allow you to slip them off much easier at the end of the day.

• Member Contributer

Fill your tub with warm water and soak the leather for about 10 minutes. Then remove the leathers and wring out as much water as possible. Put the leathers on and wear them for at least 1 hour. It would also help if you perform an activity that requires considerable movement while wearing them. If they are tight in a paticlular area such as the waist you can wet them as mentioned above and then use a heavy duty spreader clamp to stretch them out and keep them spread for an extended period of time while they dry. Also keep in mind that some leather shops sell conditioning sprays that make leather softer and more stretchable so be sure to explore that option too.

Rollin

mk2davis, on 06 May 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

I don't know how much I can accomplish in 6 days! Dam So Cal and delicious Mexican food.

Ok, I have said this on the other thread, but maybe a little bit too extreme .... lol

You can actually accomplish a lot in 6 days if you're willing to make a little sacrifice. No more Mexican foods. Eat nothing but salad (no dressing). Jog at least 2 miles and at least 2 days within that 6 days. :fing02:

Others have given good advice on the leather.

Another way to look at the "only eat salad" idea, is to drop the carbs completely. Focus on not eating any refined grain like bread or pasta, and no more candy or ice cream for the week. Your carbs and sugars can come from natural sources like fruit and you won't crash and they won't sit on your gut.

Sent from my handheld-sending-thing...

• Member Contributer

A couple boxes of extra strength laxatives will also help LOL.

Rollin

Back on topic... Tandy Leather sells "Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator" in a little tub for about $8. You wipe it on evenly and let it dry for a 24 hrs or so, then buff off. It does work very well for making the leather more pliable, but the 'curing time' is a bit of a pain when you are in a rush.

I think the water soak to stretch the leather, then a good conditioner like this would be the right combination.

And I'm now sitting at my home office, about to join a conference call... wearing full leathers. :D

• Member Contributer

That's about it, there isn't any magic to it.

Only other thing I can suggest is to push back from the Buffet Table a bit.

Yeah I could do that myself !!!!!

• Member Contributer

It seems to be move around A LOT. This one is at Camp Pendleton, but there are some at WSIR that don't work for me because of scheduling.

Just to clarify, soak them in water or condiitioner?

Distilled or soft water if you can.

• Member Contributer

All good ideas, except for the laxatives. Not sure I'll pursue that. Everything else, though, is solid (pun intended!). :goofy:

• Member Contributer

And I'm now sitting at my home office, about to join a conference call... wearing full leathers. :D

:worthlesswithoutpics::worthlesswithoutpics:

Archived