1986 Vf500F Race Bike > Street "legal"

Captain 80s

• Member Contributer

Posted this in another place, but I thought some people here might be interested in seeing some pics.

My 1986 500 Race bike. Fox Twin Clicker and Race Tech Gold Valves. Tarozzi rearsets with 900RR controls. Telefix clip-ons. 2 time class champion against CBR600s, FZR600s and even an RZ500. :)

gallery_6115_2003_58118.jpg

gallery_6115_3620_236318.jpg

If I'm not racing or doing track days, I wanted to at least be able to enjoy this bike sometimes. Re-installed the starter, starter clutch, stator and flywheel, reg/rect, starter solenoid (was bump start and total loss with small sealed scooter battery). Installed radiator fan and thermostat. RC51 handlebar switches. Fabbed some brackets to hold a stock taillight and license plate holder with turn signals. Mounted a light I had in the opening of a headlight hole cover. Temp donor tank on there while I clean up the inside of the original.

gallery_6115_3620_1093454.jpg

gallery_6115_3620_2390.jpg

gallery_6115_3620_362951.jpg

Pretty fun on the street. Need to soften the suspension a bit. It is also a little <ahem>... loud. But I can short shift it when needed. Riding position is fairly aggressive, but I won't be touring on it. It's really just to fuck around on and ride to some events. Just too cool to just sit there in my shop and I didn't want to cannabalize it for other projects.

Very impressive. The wheels look stock? Would you not be at an advantage changing to 17 inchers? Is the engine stock too? We hear a lot about the fragility of the VF500 top end but if you are racing and winning it can't be that delicate.

• Member Contributer

Wheels are stock. When I built it, there wasn't alot of info on wheel swaps. Plus, at the time, didn't feel like I needed to and I wanted to keep the budget down. Sprint Compound Avon AM23s are downright amazing (and now rediculously expensive). I'm building some other bikes that will be getting some form of wheel upgrades, but I wanted to keep the race bike pretty much as it was raced.

Engine(s) stock. I did swap out a 1 motor, an 86, that had about 18,000 miles. 1 valve stem was getting hammered at the tappet. Either sucked a valve a little or valve float due to weak valve springs. That's the only problem I had. The motor still made good power and I am going to replace that valve and use it in another project. Put in an 84 motor with 4000 mi. The 84 sounded meaner (couldn't really feel any power difference), but I turned my fastest lap with the 86.

• Member Contributer

You are a craftsman! What an awesome piece of history...and fun I bet! Over used word, but that is very cool...

• Member Contributer

Wow, that thing is clean. It's so nice, I don't think I could race it. I personally would restore it to full street trim with OEM paint scheme, and keep those beautiful exhausts.

I actually fully restored it FOR racing. I painted the frame, swingarm, forks, triples, wheels, engine... well... everything. New bearings throughout. I would like to do some kind of real upholstered seat on the race tail that integrates like a stock seat to the tank. That would help with the seat to footpeg relationship. And I already have an 86 in street trim...

gallery_6115_2003_968869.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yep... to clear the clip ons, which are very low and forward. Moved the dash forward and up as well for clearance and to put the tach in my face. I didn't want to weld up the steering stops for a full 5 degrees of steering. Recipe for putting it down in the pits or a parking lot. REALLY glad I didn't now that it's a "street" bike again. Will be weighing it soon...

• Member Contributer

Also, I notice the green safety wiring!! -Special??

wire inside tubing. the mark of a pro.

And he repaint's his headers after each trip to the track.

Archived