2006 Vfr Fuel Pump Fuse Blown

Guest Lui

Hey Guys,

I just bought a used 2006 VFR 800 Non ABS with 6000 miles on it. I rode it for a few days until the bike just shutoff on me on a residential road. After a quick trouleshoot, I found the 20 amp fuse to the fuel pump had blown, well pretty much melted. I replaced it and drove home 4 miles quickly. I checked the new fuse again and noticed that this one is also in the process of melting. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and checked the headlights, horn, pretty much everything else on the bike for electrical issues, none found. I installed the fuel pump fuse again, turned the bike on at idle, and felt the fuse to see if it is getting hot. To no surprise after a minute or two the fuse began to get really hot again, again only when the bike is running and the pump is on. Could it be that the fuel pump is bad drawing too many amps or is there anything else tied into this 20 amp fuse? I dont want to shell out 350 bucks for a new pump if the problem could be something else, any feedback is appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Pull apart the connectors in this area and look for corrosion

30Aconnector

Thanks for the info. I found some damage inside the starter relay after your recommendation of inspecting it. Here are some pics of what I found. Oh I was wrong about the fuse size, it is a 30 amp fuse not a 20.

post-27249-0-69411700-1366666604.jpgpost-27249-0-52378200-1366666606.jpgpost-27249-0-17192500-1366666609.jpg

• Member Contributer

An all too common problem. Replace the 30 amp fuse holder with an aftermarket weatherproof unit and some heavy gauge wire. Clean up all the starter relay contacts real good and use some Ox-Guard to keep corrosion away.

You've had some melt damage to the wiring harness that connects to the relay - you may have to live with that or splice in a replacement connector. I have a couple of wiring harnesses lying around I'd be willing to chop up for you.

• Member Contributer

Mine was like your green connector with the ONE SPADE that had corrosion. I have a 2004 that required a wiring harness recall fix. Curious how these electrical issues plague these bikes year after year...

Does anyone believe that the VFRness will stop this from happening? I think it is an issue with faulty connectors as the root cause.

You guys have some awesome feedback! I will be heading out to buy some Ox_guard and a replacement fuse and holder, and wire. I will give you all a heads up with the outcome, thanks a bunch!!

• 1 month later...

I replaced the connector with a heavy duty gauge wire and coated the tips with an anti corrosive film. Rode the bike for about half hour and everything seems to be good for now. Will keep an eye on it before deciding to go on a long ride. Thanks everyone for the great feedback!

WOW I thought the 06's did not have this problem........

The 06's come with the revised harness, with the wiring changes, but you still have to check and prep the connections for resistance. My connectors on my 06 are Mint condition, over 100,000 miles, with just ensuring the continuity and wd40. That probably was never done on this bike, although less than 20,000 miles, it developed issue right off the bat it seems.

youre not alone. i had to replace the main fuse on my 07 at just under 40,000 miles. honda didnt fix anything. or maybe just enough to get out of doing anymore recall work.

• Member Contributer

The main 30 amp fuse causing the fuel pump circuit to toast its fuse is a new one I've never heard of. These threads are helpful in giving others a heads up of what to watch out for.

I think Spud's got it right - treat the wiring and connectors as a maintenance item, and many, (tho not necessarily all) of the electrical gremlins will be kept at bay. We're probably spoiled subconsciously by how well the wiring in our cars holds up and figure that the bike should be the same. Any time the fairings are off is a good chance to give 'em a once over.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this thread, it just helped me fix my bike.

The symptoms were that it would start, run fine, then randomly stall out. No sputtering, just dead.

so i was convinced it was electrical.

Various shops spent time looking at it, with the conclusion that its the fuel pump. $450 from Honda, $50 from eBay.

So I said no, got the eBay pump replaced it, no solution.

replaced the fuel pump relay, still not fixed.

Then went through the various connectors and replaced a few.

This one looked totally fine from the outside, very crispy on the inside, it took seriously large pliers to pull the connector apart.

Replaced it and all was fixed.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Yep just went out on My 2006 with 36k. Looks exactly like the pictures posted. Bike has ALWAYS been garage kept, and does not see rain. Funny 'cause my other 2006 tourer w/ 68k has seen all kinds of abuse in regards to weather, terrain, storage, and the block, wiring, and fuse don't appear to have any heat damage what-so-ever.

WOW I thought the 06's did not have this problem........

The 06's came with larger wiring and redesigned grounds through Blue connector , that the 02 -05's got recalled and retrofitted , but you still have to prep your wiring or they will end up not much better. All my connections are stock, and still in good shape, I do check and prep once or twice per year, or when ever I have a panel off in the area. Plus I never wash my bike, which helps too. LOL

I'm having the same symptoms except I have the VFRness so it's a 20amp fuse and no sign of corrosion but brown where they got hot just replaced fuse and it blew agin 500 miles later. I did some scraping and applied some dielectric grease, and running fine now but not sure if it will happen a third time, can't find any shorts yet,

• Member Contributer

I had this fuse melt/pop once a couple years back, and again Monday. I replaced the fuse and it ran fine but the fuse and wires got very warm within minutes. Is there a how to on the replacement? I guess what I'm wondering is how far back do you go with new wire and what gauge is considered heavy enough?

• Member Contributer

I had this fuse melt/pop once a couple years back, and again Monday. I replaced the fuse and it ran fine but the fuse and wires got very warm within minutes. Is there a how to on the replacement? I guess what I'm wondering is how far back do you go with new wire and what gauge is considered heavy enough?

Post some pic's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived