Working On The 94

Guest Thack

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys, I love working on this bike and can't wait to get more parts on. It has been dropped on both sides, I have fiber glassed the left side so it won't fall apart. Once I decide on a color (more than likely red) I will start the painting process. I stated above the reservoir (thanks for spelling that for me) delete just removes the reservoir and replaces it with a tube. No real value on this bike, on the Hawk it cleaned up the tail and racers do it for weight savings.

Yes that is a 71 Maverick that I have been lucky enough to have featured in Car Craft

Nice and here's the Car Craft link for that sweet Maverick.

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/ccrp_1202_1971_ford_maverick_more_than_just_a_name/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got the upper triple made today it still needs some finish work. I also made the wheel spacers so the wheel is finished up. Now I need to figure out how to mill off 7mm from the caliper mounts.

24dev5l.jpg

Latest update, Got the calipers milled and ran into a small problem with the bolts now being to long. The fix was to machine some coned spacers that don't detrack from the look to much. Down to buying the handle bar and getting some mounts and the front end swap is done. I also replaced the bearings in the acentric, what a pain in the ass. So last night I assembled the rear axle/brake and chain. I need to rebuild the rear mastercylinder and that part is done. Might be back on the road in two weeks!!!

2f0f989.jpg

1t0zkw.jpg

And yep that is a rusted banjo fitting, I will replace both braided lines a later date.

Got the brakes and clutch blead last night. Can't wait to ride it with the rear brake working again. The last week I rode it the rear brake stopped working, no pressure. So I rebuilt the rear master cylinder last weekend and now it's fixed. Next up is clean the engine and install the 49 state cams.

• Member Contributer

Great work, you've got mad skills. The cherry on top will be when you get rid of those god awful condom style mirrors. The 2000 and 2001 VFR800 mirrors are condom-less and are a direct swap. EMGO also makes decent aftermarket 5th Gen mirrors without the rubber boots.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I now have the swing arm back on with the new Penske shock. I think this bike has lost 10lbs from cleaning chain lube. Kind of funny thing, as I was cleaning the swing arm I found a dime in the rear acentric. It was in between the acentric and swing arm in some grease. I figure maybe some kids put it in the holes next to the shock and it made it's way back there. I also put on the 520 front sprocket and noticed the one I took off was a 15 tooth. That kind of sucks because I bought stock gearing and I liked the way it accelerated.

2dagg9j.jpg

are you just pulling the other end of the line out from the shock hole in the swingarm? can't tell from picture..

My work computer plays hell with this forum. As with most money is the driving factor on how fast a project moves along. I got lucky and had some tax money that wanted to be spent on the VFR.<br /><br />Great tip on the mirrors<br /><br />Yes, the line was pulled threw the swing arm hole and I used a nylon clamp to keep it tight away from the spring.

• Member Contributer

Good progress! I really like your upper triple design.

I found your hawk build thread, what a beautiful bike you made. How does the VFR compare to the hawk? I think I read you really enjoyed riding your hawk, even compared to your CBR, just curious how the VFR fits in the mix :)

Keep up the good work, I'm jealous of these fast moving projects... not that mine is ridiculously slow, but I just want to ride!

It's hard to say right now because it had so many little issues. The slave cylinder was leaking so the clutch release wasn't smooth. tires had severe wear patterns (triangle front and flat spot 180 on the 5.0 rim) clapped out shock, wore out head bearings and very soft forks. I love the sound and smoothness of the engine and I'm sure that it's heavy feeling will go away once all these little problems are fixed. And I think it will be the perfect 2 up bike for me to get into sport touring.

Spooned on the new tires (S20) and cleaned up the rims. Got side tracked from the cams, going to get them done this weekend. should be putting it back together next week.

nqa6nq.jpg

Better shot of the rear swinger

4hw7tc.jpg

Cleaned up wheel, I like to remove the wheel weight ridge on my rims. I do it for looks only.

It lives!!!!!! Started the bike up and synced the carbs no strange noises. However the alternator connector started smoking, thank God it happened in the garage. I have the r1 kit to install so I guess it's going in now. Should be able to ride it this week, I can't wait!!

Tom H

Got the new regulator wired up and it reads 13.8-14 volts at an idle I also changed batteries to 08 CBR1000rr, nice and little. I'm hopping I make my round one weight loss goal of 20 lbs. But it will probably be more like 10-15 lbs. The big saver was the muffler and battery the rest are little bits and pieces. I can't wait to make my own header basiclly going to copy Two Brothers design which should also save some weight.<br />

Latest photo....sooo close, had a crack in the upper fairing that needed to be glassed. Also moved the oil cooler it looked like the forks were going to hit it.

2db1bx4.jpg

• Member Contributer

that is one sexy front end............ :beer:

WOW! what a difference, it handles soooooo much better and I still haven't set the sag. I do think I'm going to drop the front a little maybe 10mm. I filled it up and weighed it here at work.......500 lbs drop of roughly 20 lbs.

Painted the front fender with a late model ford red....kind of close. I also replaced the fuel filter and dropped the forks .6875. Didn't really notice anything on the ride to work still feels great and planted.

post-26955-0-71743700-1368808502.jpg

After the first ride I had to put back on the rear rotor the bike came with. The EBC I got off e-bay was warped to shit. And the one that came off the bike didn't come from a VFR. Not sure what it's from but the holes are arced the wrong direction. Maybe a CBR rotor? I checked twice to make sure I had it on the right way, countersinks toward the left side. I looked at some used ones on e-bay and this one also has less holes.

Archived