Pigs, A Snake, A Dragon, Particle Acceleration, A Bad Disc And Yankie Squids. 7 Days Aboard My 1200.

• Member Contributer

Fun read. I'm only 4 hours from the Cherry-cola and the Dragon, etc. and have ridden both a few times. I agree with you about the Dragon, I did it on my '07 just to say I had done so. Much prefer the Cherry-cola, also like 64 along the river, 68, and other roads in the area that are not the Dragon :cool: ...

Your story has given me some inspiration as I head out tomorrow morning from home (Hsv) to Austin, TX by way of Texarkana. Meeting my son (he lives in Austin) to attend the MotoGP races at COTA this weekend. The weather is projected to be iffy both days on my way out, but the weekend is supposed to be good for the races :biggrin: .

ACE

Nice truck. Glad you didn't push yourself too much more and get hurt.

Would a better seat or helibars have helped your comfort situation?

I'm also looking at picking up an ALU-RACK to hold my GIVI top case. If the top case is going to affect the handling of the VFR that much, I might need to reconsider that idea.

Again, this was a FUN read. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

Dude I love that you just went and bought yourself a truck. Great ride report!

• Member Contributer

Nice truck. Glad you didn't push yourself too much more and get hurt. Would a better seat or helibars have helped your comfort situation? I'm also looking at picking up an ALU-RACK to hold my GIVI top case. If the top case is going to affect the handling of the VFR that much, I might need to reconsider that idea. Again, this was a FUN read. Thanks for sharing! Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't say that the topcase changed the handling... I WOULD say my weight in combination with 8 days worth of supplies plus camping gear on the stock suspension was less than desirable. I use the topcase and bags all the time, and really, it's not THAT bad. I just figured to leave the stuff on the outset of a 500 mile day.

The weight distribution caused the head to shake without my hands on the bars, that was lessened with the top case off though, so YMMV.

To me, the seat wasn't awful, and the riding position isn't all that bad on the 1200 with the stock bars. I may need to take another look at that stuff. I really think the root cause for the pain is the fact that I'm out of shape and overweight. That additional stress on my spine isn't helping. A sergeant seat is on the list though, so I guess we'll see!

Dude I love that you just went and bought yourself a truck. Great ride report!

:goofy:

Some things just need to happen. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Buying a new truck so you don't have to ride in the rain is a pretty flimsy excuse to buy a new truck, but in this case it works quite well. Sounds like you had a very memorable trip, thanks for sharing.

• Member Contributer

Buying a new truck so you don't have to ride in the rain is a pretty flimsy excuse to buy a new truck, but in this case it works quite well. Sounds like you had a very memorable trip, thanks for sharing.

:blush::unsure:

I'm now suitably humbled.

:beer:

Think about it this way though... Now I can pull a trailer to the Hog Tie full of all kinds of crap for the weekend! A grill that's not covered in rust, real lawn-chairs... it's going to be awesome.

:cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Yokel... Dude, nice write up! I just spent the past couple of hours on VFRD... I gotta go get some work done!

Thanks for sharing, you da Man!

• Member Contributer

Great write-up...I am still looking at a foot of snow and 30+ inches of ice on the lake in the northwoods and your story helps warm the day. I am shopping for a 1200 and had intended to add Trax side cases. It interested me to hear of your cornering experience. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

• Member Contributer

Very nice read Jon. Glad you made it home safe. You had an awesome trip no doubt. About the signs....I agree TN does need to improve marking sharp turns etc, but I believe some of those signs have been repeatedly taken out by cagers who think they can drive but can't. There is a sharp left turn nearby me here in Franklin. It is marked with signs, reflectors and a guard rail. There is plenty of distance to slow down but it repeatedly gets rammed by fools who think they can drive a car. So now they have installed/replaced new signs (those 90 degree left arrow ones thay mean hey stupid slow down sharp left turn) reflectors on the guard rail...a week later the guard rail gets rammed again. LOL unbelieveable. Watch your butts when you're over here. These people in their cars, trucks will not stay keep their vehicles on "their" side of road between the yellow and white lines especially when going through sharp turns.

:beer:

Great write-up...I am still looking at a foot of snow and 30+ inches of ice on the lake in the northwoods and your story helps warm the day. I am shopping for a 1200 and had intended to add Trax side cases. It interested me to hear of your cornering experience. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Snow? Had to check wikipedia for that, but the ice, I know what ice is. But that seems like a lot more than you need to keep your drink cold!

*ducking*

Archived