Vfrd Group Buy...vfr1200 Flash

• Member Contributer

Well if anyone has been following my quest to get the ECU flashed, then you know what I've been talking about. Here is the latest email from ECU unleashed...

Hello George,
My apologies, I have been in contact with several of the members of the VFR message board and I thought I had included you. The VFR community seems to be filled with some very passionate owners. At this time we are able to do the flash on the VFR1200 with the conventional transmission and are in the process of finding and ECU for the DCT version of the bike. I still don't have a dyno chart for the bike, but we are able to produce a flash for you. If there is enough interest we would love to offer the VFR community a group buy opportunity. We would need at least 5 ECU's to quality but we would offer a reduced rate. Please let us know if you would be interested,
Thanks,
-ECUnleashed Staff
Let me know if anyone else is interested and we could get in on this one together.
Here is the link to the original post.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm somewhat interested, but with little details on what exactly is done with the reflash, I'd be hesitant to commit. I read the referenced thread and did not see any specifics.

• Member Contributer

Here was one of my previous emails:

Hello George,

Thank you for your inquiry. We have a great Tune File available for the VFR 1200. We work on each of the internal parameters of each ECU including, removing any factory restrictions (ignition and/or throttle), optimize fuel and ignition curves, deceleration maps, throttle maps, rev limit,and many more. This allows us to maximize horsepower while also significantly improving the ride-ability and control of the bike. Plus we are able to accommodate for modifications that have been done to the bike (ie exhaust system, intake, etc)
What he means by that is the 1st and 2nd gear restrictions...

If they develop a reflash for the DCT then I'm in. From the note it sounds like they need to get their hands on a DCT ECU. Maybe one of our members with a DCT in LA could visit ECUnleashed?

• Member Contributer

crazy, please post this up on vfrw so we can get the 5 we need. I'm well versed in ECUnleashed. They are a solid company who has done thousands of flashes on bikes. There are guys racing in the AMA championship using their flashes.

then you guys are three short, me, canadian and treadway all have DCTs. Though canadian has a DTC, which is the rare direct-to-consumer model :warranty:

• Member Contributer

crazy, please post this up on vfrw so we can get the 5 we need. I'm well versed in ECUnleashed. They are a solid company who has done thousands of flashes on bikes. There are guys racing in the AMA championship using their flashes.

Ok, done. I put a post up in the 7th Gen forum.

Hmm, I just had the ECU re-flashed by Honda, and while I haven't ridden enough yet to give it a proper review, it does seem a lot better than before. It was really bad, stalling, stumbling, burning lots of fuel (relative to other VFRs). That seems to be behind me now, but I need to put another 500 km or so on it to be sure

If you get enough to get the group buy, let us know the changes.

• Member Contributer

Hmm, I just had the ECU re-flashed by Honda, and while I haven't ridden enough yet to give it a proper review, it does seem a lot better than before. It was really bad, stalling, stumbling, burning lots of fuel (relative to other VFRs). That seems to be behind me now, but I need to put another 500 km or so on it to be sure

If you get enough to get the group buy, let us know the changes.

Same thing going through my mind. My dealer still waiting on ECU re-flash from Honda to install on my bike and I don't understand how different the factory re-flash will be from the proposed ECU-unleashed version. Following with interest.

• Member Contributer

ECUnleashed will remove all factory restrictions and optimize timing and a/f. If you have aftermarket exhaust they'll adjust the a/f for that as well. On my R1, the flashed ECU is a night and day difference compared to stock.

I hope we can get a measely 5 people to do this.

Is the price gonna be $500?

How would they deal with owners that have aftermarket exhaust? I can't imagine the fuel mapping is one-size-fits-all.

It's kinda hard to pull the trigger on pure promises at this point, especially on something that is OTP and essentially irreversible Need dyno charts and details on exactly what has been tweaked. Sounds like they've already done some tuning with a donor VFR1200. Why not publishing the results? I understand it's a reputable company, but I'm just not convinced it's the best alternative $500 can buy at this point.

I'm no racer, so I don't care about extracting max WOT HP. Rideablility and mpg are much more my concern, and those are difficult to quantify with test results. It's pretty much subjective to each rider. At least with the other options, if I don't like the results, I can go back to stock and pawn off the parts to get some of my investment back.

• Member Contributer

How would they deal with owners that have aftermarket exhaust? I can't imagine the fuel mapping is one-size-fits-all.

It's kinda hard to pull the trigger on pure promises at this point, especially on something that is OTP and essentially irreversible Need dyno charts and details on exactly what has been tweaked. Sounds like they've already done some tuning with a donor VFR1200. Why not publishing the results? I understand it's a reputable company, but I'm just not convinced it's the best alternative $500 can buy at this point.

I'm no racer, so I don't care about extracting max WOT HP. Rideablility and mpg are much more my concern, and those are difficult to quantify with test results. It's pretty much subjective to each rider. At least with the other options, if I don't like the results, I can go back to stock and pawn off the parts to get some of my investment back.

I'll let you guy's know as soon as I hear back from them.

• Member Contributer

crazy, I am corner exit on the other site so don't get messed up with the count ;)

volfy, they remove the factory restictions so it's rideability. Max Hp would come with exhaust modification (getting rid of the cat) and tuning the af/r on the dyno. They can (optional) set your AF/R's for a slip-on, if you want, not required.

This flash will be worth it. The company has a very good reputation and is the best in the business when it comes to this.

• Member Contributer

I bet Timmy would flash you all for free.

No special arrangements required, might not even require alcohol... :goofy:

Must be working on one of the project motorcycles....

+1

• Member Contributer

Alright guy's, here's the latest email from ECU Unleashed.

Hello George, (That's me) :cheerleader:
Excellent, let me give you some more details. As of right now we are only able to do the standard transmission and NOT the DCT. We need to get a donor ECU to develop the communication protocols, we are working on locating one of these. Yes, standard pricing is $499, with the group buy we will be offering the reflash for $449, including return domestic shipping.

(1) Please log on and complete one of our online TUNE FILE ORDER FORMS. Password is tuning101
This will supply us with all of the info we need to get you the PERFECT Tune File. Also it will allow you to inform us of any modifications that have been done to the bike so that we can accommodate for those on the Tune File. All info is *required to be filled in. In the comments section please us the coupon code "hemmingway50" to receive the discount. This discount code will be valid through 4/19. Once we have received all of the ECU's we will send each customer an ETA of return time. We normally do bulk orders for Honda's at the 1st and 15th, however we will do a separate bulk order for your forum. This means you will get them back before normally scheduled however we will need all of the ECU's in house before we can start flashing them.

(2) Please complete our Credit Card Form so we have a payment method.
Let me know if you or any of the forum members have any questions, please also let them know they are free to email us at info@ecunleashed.com

Thanks,
Michael Adams

Looks like we get $50.00 off but we all need to send them in at the same time...

Come on. Let's get this done!

Archived