Vfrd Group Buy...vfr1200 Flash

If all this is to circumvent the 1st - 2nd gear restriction why not simply use the common fix, it's free or $70 for the plug in solution. If it's to smooth out the low speed fueling while riding in traffic jambs or parking lots, that issue is so simple to ride around by managing your engine RPM and leading/trailing throttle. Why would anyone tear into their computer?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they may just be talking about the Bazzaz fix. It just modifies the GPS connection to the ECU.

I've looked at the schematic and I've figured out a way to around the inaccurate gear indicator with the Bazzaz, but that would require a some sort of Arduino board and a splice into the TX line on the dash display.

I've got the hardware to scope/capture the serial bus and try to decode the data. I just don't know if it's worth the the time and effort...

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

No, they will re-map it too... Seems like alot of money for a 15 min job... Was hoping that some genius on VFRD could figure it out... :wink:

So that's it then, derestrict 1st/2nd while retaining the dash gear indicator and fueling changes? I will be mapping the bike myself and want to run an Autotune so I only need the derestricting work.

I'd be willing to chip in for your work if that got us the how to. I was hoping there would be changes they'd make like optimizing ignition, adding revs, etc.

• Member Contributer

No, they will re-map it too... Seems like alot of money for a 15 min job... Was hoping that some genius on VFRD could figure it out... :wink:

So that's it then, derestrict 1st/2nd while retaining the dash gear indicator and fueling changes? I will be mapping the bike myself and want to run an Autotune so I only need the derestricting work.

I'd be willing to chip in for your work if that got us the how to. I was hoping there would be changes they'd make like optimizing ignition, adding revs, etc.

That's what I meant, ignition mapping, fuel mapping de-restrict 1st & 2nd gear, remove re limiter, and speed limiter and map it to your exhaust system. The shop here in San Francisco is supposed to have a Dyno too and do it all.

We shall see.

• Member Contributer

That's what I meant, ignition mapping, fuel mapping de-restrict 1st & 2nd gear, remove re limiter, and speed limiter and map it to your exhaust system. The shop here in San Francisco is supposed to have a Dyno too and do it all.

We shall see.

I would make sure they work on engine braking also. Mapping, the auto tune is the way to go if you ride outside your area, elevation, humidity, etc.

I wish there was more interest and we could push them to lower the price by doing a batch job. Nov 1st is when I start my work on mine.

ECU Unleashed appear to have an australian office not far from me, I plan to get in touch with them to discuss getting a flash done of my OEM ECU with the goal of achieving the same results as the Z-Bomb but keeping the gear display working correctly, and probably just a general tune to compliment the DAM muffler.

I'll report back, how it goes.

I wish all you guys luck with ecuunleashed. Personally I am going to try another avenue. I have used Guhl Performance in the past for this service on my 2012 ZX14R and they are a real USA based company that has been doing ecu reflashing for some time. They have a real track record that can be verified with other satisfied customers both in motorcycles and car racing.

I sent Don Guhl a e mail today asking if he would be interested in providing re-flashing service on the VFR1200. I am not interested in ecu re-mapping for fuel but I am interested in removing the 1st & 2nd gear restriction, removing the top speed limiter, raising the RPM limit 400 RPM & eliminating the decel exhaust pop. He provided all this and more on my ZX14 ecu.

You can go to the website and learn more about the company. Don't pay any attention to the list of motorcycles he lists for re-flash. I know he does re-flash work on many bikes not listed.

• Member Contributer

I wish all you guys luck with ecuunleashed. Personally I am going to try another avenue. I have used Guhl Performance in the past for this service on my 2012 ZX14R and they are a real USA based company that has been doing ecu reflashing for some time. They have a real track record that can be verified with other satisfied customers both in motorcycles and car racing.

I sent Don Guhl a e mail today asking if he would be interested in providing re-flashing service on the VFR1200. I am not interested in ecu re-mapping for fuel but I am interested in removing the 1st & 2nd gear restriction, removing the top speed limiter, raising the RPM limit 400 RPM & eliminating the decel exhaust pop. He provided all this and more on my ZX14 ecu.

You can go to the website and learn more about the company. Don't pay any attention to the list of motorcycles he lists for re-flash. I know he does re-flash work on many bikes not listed.

Let us know what he says... I'm still looking for options.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Don Guhl did the ecu reflashing on my Kawi C14 and I only have positive comments about his company. Please keep us updated as to his response.

I spoke with a friend of mine who is a car mechanic. Although he is a car mechanic, he found it strange that there is no company who offers a VFR 1200 reflash. All modern ECU's are EEPROM (Electrically erasable programmable read-only memory), and can be (re)programmed. Maybe Honda protected the EEPROM in a special way?

He gave me also some intresting information. Although the factory ECU-mapping is much related to emission and noise regulations, he also said that every engine on the market is under-powered. For example, he said most European cars with diesel engines are calculated to work without problems for at least 600 K kilometers (+-380 K miles). He said most diesel engines start to show wear after some 200 K km (+-130 K miles) and to avoid problems with this, they underpower the engine. Reliability above power...he said you can easely tune your car to maximum power, but don't expect to do 600 K km with such a car.

• Member Contributer

Honda has special communication protocols that are not easily hacked... There is the problem with their ECU's and mostly with our VFR's. But many have done CBR's and that's where the market is, there is not enough interest for the market to invest time/money on our VFR's...

Case in point, I couldn't get ten people to commit to this Group Buy... :wacko:

Honda has special communication protocols that are not easily hacked... There is the problem with their ECU's and mostly with our VFR's. But many have done CBR's and that's where the market is, there is not enough interest for the market to invest time/money on our VFR's...

Case in point, I couldn't get ten people to commit to this Group Buy... :wacko:

I understand your frustration, because an ECU reflash is the only good thing to do. No more PC5, no more Bazzaz bomb...more power, no more power dips etc...

I noticed ECUnleashed has an international dealers network. One of them is even very close to my home (Carmo Elektronics in the Netherlands). If these dealers are willing/able to do this ECU flash, I think you'll have more people who want to sign in on this.

Link:

http://ecunleashed.com/dealers/find-a-dealer/dealers-international/

Edit: I checked Carmo in the Netherlands: No problem for ECU reflash VFR 1200 if this available from ECUnleashed.

Archived