New To Me 2010 Vfr1200F

ixxion

Mornin' y'all.

I'm an obsessive/compulsive collector of things with spinning shafts in them. This includes lawnmowers, twin head air compressors, Satoh tractors with front end loaders, and alas, Honda motorcycles.

The latest acquisition is a 2010 VFR1200F. More than I thought I was biting off, I'm afraid. There's a boatload of new stuff on this beast that I don't have expertise or parts to fix, and probably not the tools, either.

Right now, my two greatest concerns with this bike are the lack of clear technical information about the bike, and the absolute dearth of pre-abused parts. I've been able to fil in some of the blanks by digging around the interwebs, and specifically here. This truly is a mutant Honda. Parts........wow. I've pretty much accepted that this will be a streetfighter...I can't afford that many Honda shares.

The bike has only a couple pieces of plastic left intact, and I had hoped that a knock-off set might be available, but its obvious that production is low enough on this motorcycle that there isn't enough profit share in the aftermarket to bother with it at this point. I've found a few threads with information about the typical Honda cross-fitment parts such as levers, pegs, fenders, but that stuff is fairly inconsequential in cost.

All the soft parts in the front of the motorcycle are missing. I don't even have an idea what they look like. There's no instruments or wiring subharness. All running gear is intact, and the bike runs down the road just fine. Here in the chilly northeast, I figure I can get away with it for a couple miles without cooland as half the radiator is missing. I was able to source one of those from some place in the Byzantine Empire for half a week's pay, so am waiting impatiently for that to arrive.

Sooooooo........what's the point? I'd like to put this back together...cheaply. I am a master glue technician and have repaired plastic damaged in the worst way. I'd love to find some damaged components I could attempt to resurrect, but because the description of what I need (everything) is a little vague, I wasn't sure whether to place that in the Classifieds section or not. And unless I can get a relatively complete set, any money spent on plastics is wasted. Generally, cheap used headlights are non-existent, so I realize I will have to bite the bullet on some items.

I also need an instrument cluster and harness. I can repair damaged circuits and plastics. I can also adapt a cluster from another Honda if I knew what had the same fittings.....Honda tends to use the same plugs, wiring schemes, and electronics across several models with the same relative technologies....that's just smart manufacturing.

So........anybody got damaged parts stuck in their garage? Know of a salvage yard where there's a semi-crumpled VFR1200, or one stuck in the back of a dealership storage building? Or a nice example that got ran with no oil and needs an engine?!

Just a couple questions that I couldn't find the answers for....

-What's in the tool kit? I don't have one.

-the seat is misery to get lined up, but nothing seems bent. Would be hard to bend that aluminum subframe anyway without cracking it. What am I doing wrong?

-How in the world to adjust the chain? (okay, just checking to see if you're still paying attention)

Thanks for reading!

post-15965-0-43805600-1364128968.jpg

I think you're facing quite a chalange. I've seen a few crashed VFR's 1200 like yours (technically 100% OK to drive with), but total loss for the insurance. Body parts are VERY EXPENSIVE.
You'll always see the same damages to these bikes, so the second hand parts you need are (very) rare (fairings, lights etc)
The expensive ABS plactic parts (fairings) can be repaired, but most of the time the broken off parts are lost or you need an intact original part to make a mold.
To give you and example, the front light will cost you at least $500, unless you are very lucky to find a second hand one (even then, they still will ask at lot of money).

Try to check your ABS brake system ASAP (these are expensive parts as well - but from time to time they are offered on several websites)

A wild guess: but your seat problem might be related to your tank fairings (not in place)

Wow, there is a lot of parts missing.

I had a big accident in 2011 and I have to change the front light and all the left fairing, plus the instrument support and other things.

Considering the cost of all pieces, be ready to spend about 5000 USD.

• Member Contributer

WOW is an understatment!

So..... How do you feel about a VFR powered go-cart on steroids?

Youtube is loaded with 750 conversions and here is a 1000....

• Member Contributer

While your replacement part list looks expensive/extensive, I would think the good/resellable list might be just as big and that money could go toward 4 wheel motion if you are just looking for fun.

• Member Contributer

I might be speaking out of my @$$ here, but I want to say that I found body panels through David Silver Spares for (slightly) less than your firstborn.

They're still pretty stinking high though, and the secondary market is pretty much non-existent as you've seen. I want to say the whole set was about 1300 bucks? Been about 10 months since I've toyed with the idea of going white.

In the downloads section of this website, someone was kind enough to upload a VFR1200F service manual, and IIRC there is quite a chapter on the body panels, might be worth a peek, and the wiring schematic is completely priceless... at the worst you could chase down the necessary connectors. My biggest fear would be how the body panels interlock and whether or not their mounting points are straight and in-tact. The cost could almost be prohibitive.

To be honest, In your shoes, I'd be inclined to run it nekkid. If you're creative and handy, there's potential to make the tank the size it should have been, plus sourcing a traditional headlight and aftermarket gauge cluster would be a snap and likely save you over a thousand right there. I do know the 1200 uses a few RC51 parts (think front fender and levers.. maybe more) makes me wonder if you could use one of those clusters...

Will be watching this with interest. Curious what you decide to do. I'll poke around and see what I can find for body work... I might have some stuff bookmarked. I do seem to remember a group in japan that had full body kits, but for the life of me I can't find the information now.

*edit* and WELCOME :wink:

*edit edit* Don't know if you've seen this thread, but it may be helpful.. beginnings of a part number cross-reference to other honda models. Looks like the thread stalled a bit, perhaps this re-build will put some life in to it. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/71284-what-parts-has-the-vfr-1200-in-common-with-other-hondas/?hl=%2Bparts+%2Blist#entry836891

• Member Contributer

It has that B-King aura............

Neither Thurn nor a website with a lot of dutch mc breakers have any VFR1200 bodywork....

and since you like shafts............ where does one find these???

post-8974-0-90294600-1364216822.jpg

In the downloads section of this website, someone was kind enough to upload a VFR1200F service manual, and IIRC there is quite a chapter on the body panels, might be worth a peek, and the wiring schematic is completely priceless... at the worst you could chase down the necessary connectors. My biggest fear would be how the body panels interlock and whether or not their mounting points are straight and in-tact. The cost could almost be prohibitive.

To be honest, In your shoes, I'd be inclined to run it nekkid. If you're creative and handy, there's potential to make the tank the size it should have been, plus sourcing a traditional headlight and aftermarket gauge cluster would be a snap and likely save you over a thousand right there. I do know the 1200 uses a few RC51 parts (think front fender and levers.. maybe more) makes me wonder if you could use one of those clusters...

Thanks for that. Naked may be the way it goes, and the B-King reference is very strong. The interdependence of the body panels is problematic, whereas earlier production faired motorcycles tend to have fairing panels that while integrated, could potentially stand alone in that they were immediately fastened to the frame. I have a couple wild hair ideas for stealth customs that I need to explore once I have the mechanicals in line and know exactly where the physical boundaries are. My only real desire to make the bike as original would be to match the CBR250R in the garage...that would be cute. I had hoped to get some input as to whether the fairing set for the Crosstourer might be an easy match, and less money, but that's pretty esoteric.

Thanks for the manual reference. That will prove helpful, I'm sure. And I hadn't thought of David Silver. Discount Honda Parts is the only venue I tried for pricing...Ron Ayers doesn't list the newer bikes. I'm sure the pricing isn't going to get much better from any of the US suppliers.

Welcome, and wow is right. Quite the project bike.

1. Do a search for "VFR1200 headlight" on fleabay. There are several offshore seller for non-OEM headlight for the 1200, for about $250-$300. Still expensive, but cheaper than genuine Honda.

2. I have had mine stripped of all front end and plastic, and IMHO, a nekkid streetfighter is tough to make look right with this beast. The tanks covers is shaped rather complex and integrate into the fairings, you'll have to do some bondo work to reshape it without the fairings.

3. Good thing is the fairing pieces are actually not that expensive... relative to other OEM plastics I have seen. You could probably get the whole plastics set for maybe $1500 if you buy at the right discounted places.

4. All this is assuming the mechanicals (chassis, engine, electricals) are sound, which is never a safe assumption, so before you spend some cash on anything, have the bike checked out first to make sure it's worth the rebuild.

5. You don't need to run the OEM instrumentation, unless you just want to get it back to looking stock. You can get an aftermarket speedometer/tach and have a working instrument cluster for $300 or so easily.

• Member Contributer

Neither Thurn nor a website with a lot of dutch mc breakers have any VFR1200 bodywork....

attachicon.gifshaft.jpg

Dutchy, that looks like the underside of a Willy's. - a Willy's in phenomenal condition!

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gifshaft.jpg

Dutchy, that looks like the underside of a Willy's. - a Willy's in phenomenal condition!

bingo!

It is in the museum I refer to in another topic (Overloon) :beer:

• Member Contributer

There are white sets available on EBay, but those re just the outside panels. Just in body panels I bet your into it for 5k at least. Good luck.

There are white sets available on EBay, but those re just the outside panels. Just in body panels I bet your into it for 5k at least. Good luck.

I've been unable to locate these despite repeated and varied searches. Would you be so kind as to provide a link, please?

Well, my radiator shipped from the Byzantine Empire has cleared customs, so its only a matter of days before I get to see how much damage the postal system inflicted upon it. Then I will be able to place the radiator and give it a more thorough test...the better to decide its fate.

• 1 month later...

Okee-dokee...time for an update. More damage than I thought but nothing major, so a few parts are on order. The radiator looked real good and I was all excited once I found time to put it on and realized its not the same. Hmmmm. It bolts up and the parts that bolt to it fit correctly, but its 13 or so rows longer. It is slightly different and the hoses are a bit too long, but they can be trimmed up. My only guess is that the new radiator might be from an automatic. Does anyone have one that can verify that?

Here's a link to a comparative picture that I forgot to snap until I had installed the new one. http://www.nerdmafia.com/rockme/4sale/corbin/007.jpg

I did finally find the fairings listed on ebay. That's still an option, but would require that I buy a headlight...and all the extra bits and pieces that go with it to mount and attach. Big money for that.

So again, any parts/pieces or bent bikes that anyone hears about, I'm interested, please let me know.

My only guess is that the new radiator might be from an automatic. Does anyone have one that can verify that?

Yep, you're right on. crazybrother and I noted that on the last ride we were on.

Standard is part #19010-MGE-306

DCT is part #19010-MGE-305

That said, I can't remember which is the big one. Presumably the DCT I guess.

Archived