7Th Gen Tires?

• Member Contributer

Ok, it's time, coming up on needing some new shoes... I know what worked well on my 6th gen but now I know you guy's have some experience with the 7th gen and tires... What's working for you and what's not. I need real world advice, from owners only who have used them.

Most of my riding lately has been commuting with a little mountain twisties.

Thanks Guys.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pilot Road 2 all day. My second set, got 7000 miles out of the first set touring fully-loaded on Interstates to and from CO. Second set has almost 7000 miles and looks to have plenty more in them.

If you want a little bit more grip for commuting, PR3's are supposedly a bit grippier in the wet, but not as solid from a backroad performance standpoint.

• Forum CEO

I use Pilot road 2s, I get about 5k out of them when I do the tmac, or 7k when I just slab around the rest of the country (not as hard on the tires as I am trying to keep up with BR)! I just dont see the expense of P3's being any better then 2's. I use 190/55 too not 190/50's.

• Member Contributer

I chose the PR3, and I can tell you that they are fantastic in the wet. Brian's got the right of it though, they are a wee bit more mushy due to the siping.

I ride like an old lady, I'm getting great life out of these so far. They fit really well with my needs here in Oklahoma. If I didn't ride in the rain EVERY time it rains, I'd have gone with the PR2.

Not to discourage you from the PRs. I am just giving you another data point.

I did a little comparison between the PR2s and 3s vs the Battlax021 and 023. The bike came with 021 and I got about 7K out of them with medium aggressiveness. I spoke with the Bridgestone rep and he recommended the 023GT spec for my bike (since the 7gen is about 600lbs). Sometimes I take my better half out for rides and tend to get a little aggressive. So far, I have 5K on them and they are great with more aggressive riding style. To me, Bridgestone cost significantly less and are doing phenomenal. I think I might get about 10K out of them.

• Member Contributer

Someone correct me if I am wrong in thinking that the "B" or "GT" versions of tires are upgraded versions of existing tires that have stiffer sidewalls to withstand heavier loads. I'm wondering if that necessarily results in longer tread life? Afterall, it's the same compound on the tread...

• Member Contributer

I did a little comparison between the PR2s and 3s vs the Battlax021 and 023. The bike came with 021 and I got about 7K out of them with medium aggressiveness. I spoke with the Bridgestone rep and he recommended the 023GT spec for my bike (since the 7gen is about 600lbs). Sometimes I take my better half out for rides and tend to get a little aggressive. So far, I have 5K on them and they are great with more aggressive riding style. To me, Bridgestone cost significantly less and are doing phenomenal. I think I might get about 10K out of them.

Thank you for the data. Ever considered putting on a BT-016 on the front with the 23 rear? It's been a while since I've done the mix and match thing but it seemed to work great 10 years ago when I was doing it. With the stickier front (I ride aggressive as well, don't commute, and rarely slab) I found the f/r wore evenly together.

• Member Contributer

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt023.html

This will show you some of the aspects of the GT version. Doesn't look like it comes in the 190 size though according to the chart. The star denotes GT.

• Member Contributer

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/bt023.html

This will show you some of the aspects of the GT version. Doesn't look like it comes in the 190 size though according to the chart. The star denotes GT.

Yep, you're right. Another one off the list. :(

• Member Contributer

Thank you for the data. Ever considered putting on a BT-016 on the front with the 23 rear? It's been a while since I've done the mix and match thing but it seemed to work great 10 years ago when I was doing it. With the stickier front (I ride aggressive as well, don't commute, and rarely slab) I found the f/r wore evenly together.

If you follow the tire discussions around here, the PP front PR2 rear combo is very popular and tested to be great in the TN-NC-GA mtns. It works good for me in Arkansas twisty mtn roads.

They come in 190/55 also. I just put a set on. To me, the vfr has never felt better. I only got 3k out of bt021s and 5k out of the PR3s. A friend that also rides a vfr12 kept bragging up the bt023s GTs. After the pitiful mileage out of the bt021s, I was reluctant to try them. But, so far i'm very impressed.

• Member Contributer

If you follow the tire discussions around here, the PP front PR2 rear combo is very popular and tested to be great in the TN-NC-GA mtns. It works good for me in Arkansas twisty mtn roads.

I'm just not a fan of Michelin or Dunlops. Never have been. Michelins's for years would grip, grip, grip, then bam, totally give out unexpectedly. Dunlops move around too much for my liking. And Michelin is awfully proud of their tires. I always check prices and they are usually $50 or more higher, a set, than what I buy.

Metzeler, Pirelli, and Bridgestone are my brands of choice. I tend to like the Metzeler/Pirelli (same company more or less) compounds the best for feel and dislike Michelin compounds the most. I sport ride, don't commute, so I tend to value grip and feel much more than mileage. Mileage is secondary.

Either way looks like there are options now. As leanin pointed out, you can now get a Bridgestone BT023-GT in 190/55. Pirelli has a new Angel-GT, and there is also the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact. I'll decide on one of the three and report in later this year.

That might be a bit too much difference between F and R. A lot of guys around here are doing BT-021 front and BT-023 rear on their sportbikes used for normal street riding and commuting, and they report good results. VFR1200 is a fairly heavy bike and might wear down the 016 pretty quick.

That said, I don't take my own advice very well. :rolleyes::blush: I just swapped the stock tires out for a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso front and Metzeler M5 rear. If it weren't for a local dealer here having one each leftover and too good a deal to pass up, I would never have chosen this combo. I expect them to wear out rather quick and when they do, I will likely switch to PR3. I have PR3s on my C14 and like them a lot.

• Member Contributer

Here is a list of tires for your consideration in a thread I posted last year. It's not a review, just a list of options. I currently use the Metzler Z8's which now have 4K+ miles and perform quite admirably.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/71613-vfr1200-sport-touring-tire-list/

I have used several brands over the years and like Michelin's best. When the stock 'Stones wore out on the 1200 (didn't care for them too much) I replaced them with Michelin PilotRoad 3's and love them. I've used Pirelli Strada's before as well and liked them a lot. However, my VFR's (1200 is the 4th) have always worn Michelin PilotRoad's when the time came for replacement tires with great effect. I haven't found the price's to be too outrageous. I just shop around and buy them before I need them. Modern sporting/sport-touring tires are so good, you probably can't go too wrong.

Ride safe

I have Michelin pr3's. They don't need much time to warm up on cold days, and great in the rain ( that we never get). But they bum me out in high speed turns through the mountains. The front tire is just too much of a rain tire.

Last set for me.

• Member Contributer

Here is a list of tires for your consideration in a thread I posted last year. It's not a review, just a list of options. I currently use the Metzler Z8's which now have 4K+ miles and perform quite admirably.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/71613-vfr1200-sport-touring-tire-list/

Very nice, thank you. Gonna order some Roadtec Z8's or Angel GT's, whatever I find the best deal on.

I have Michelin pr3's. ... they bum me out in high speed turns through the mountains.

Can you elaborate more on this? Are they unstable or unreliable in the twisties or ??? The only time I am a hesitant rider is in the rain (after some bad pucker moments) and am leaning towards the PR3's to get me over that but I don't want to take on any new concerns with grip/predictability in dry weather as a result.

If you outride PR3s, you are one serious canyon carver and/or track day rider. The rain sipes might make it look like a rain tire - and it does perform well on wet pavement - but its dry grip is not too many clicks below true sportbike tires. If you are a green level 1, you could probably do a track day with them just fine. I've read some folks actually did that.

<p>I do agree that when riding a 600 lb motorcycle at speed on a twisty road, it starts to lose some of it "flickability" the tighter the road gets.  Seems to me I might be asking a bit much of my front tire if I try to push it like my track bike (and on a public road).  I ride the 1200 the way it likes to be ridden.......smooth & stable.  It loves sweepers.  If it's twisty, I get my braking done early, turn in, and roll on as available.  My choice of modern sport/sport touring tires seem less a limiting factor when it gets tight than the fact that it's a big, heavy ST/GT and expensive to fix.  Plus, I don't heal as well at 48 as I did at 28. I like the "feel" of the Michelin's the best.  The Pirelli's were great though as well.   </p>

<p> </p>

<p>This is a great discussion and points to the fact that this is not a 5th gen or even a 6th gen (but close to a 6th....and I've owned 5th, 6th, 7th gens).  It has it's own qualities that appeal to me very much.  However, I ride by it's rules and enjoy every mile.  I would not have enjoyed this bike as much in my 20's.  The kind of bikes I liked in my 20's have less appeal to me now (damn sexy though).  This bike is what it is......a truly incredible motorcycle.  It is not a supersport though.  I don't expect it to be.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ride safe</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Edit: I ride with my brother on his his 2011 Kawasaki Ninja1000.  He's a comfortably quick and smooth street rider with a few track days under his belt.  I comfortably stay with and ahead of him in "spirited" riding.  When it gets really tight though, he has an advantage as my big bike starts to push the front a bit and I have to start using the brutal acceleration of the big 1200 off the corners.  No, I haven't drug a knee on the 1200, but he says I get real close.  I'm not a knee dragger at the track either though.  I'll touch the deck with my puck a bit and tuck my knee back in enough to keep it off the track (perhaps subconsciencely due to previous knee surgeries).  The big bike will handle, but, it's a still a big bike.........and still my favorite sporting street motorcycle out of the 20+ bikes I've owned.  However, I don't expect it to be something it isn't.  I ride according to its rules.</p>

• Member Contributer

<p>I do agree that when riding a 600 lb motorcycle at speed on a twisty road, it starts to lose some of it "flickability" the tighter the road gets.  Seems to me I might be asking a bit much of my front tire if I try to push it like my track bike (and on a public road).  I ride the 1200 the way it likes to be ridden.......smooth & stable.  It loves sweepers.  If it's twisty, I get my braking done early, turn in, and roll on as available.  My choice of modern sport/sport touring tires seem less a limiting factor when it gets tight than the fact that it's a big, heavy ST/GT and expensive to fix.  Plus, I don't heal as well at 48 as I did at 28. I like the "feel" of the Michelin's the best.  The Pirelli's were great though as well.   </p>

<p> </p>

<p>This is a great discussion and points to the fact that this is not a 5th gen or even a 6th gen (but close to a 6th....and I've owned 5th, 6th, 7th gens).  It has it's own qualities that appeal to me very much.  However, I ride by it's rules and enjoy every mile.  I would not have enjoyed this bike as much in my 20's.  The kind of bikes I liked in my 20's have less appeal to me now (damn sexy though).  This bike is what it is......a truly incredible motorcycle.  It is not a supersport though.  I don't expect it to be.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ride safe</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Edit: I ride with my brother on his his 2011 Kawasaki Ninja1000.  He's a comfortably quick and smooth street rider with a few track days under his belt.  I comfortably stay with and ahead of him in "spirited" riding.  When it gets really tight though, he has an advantage as my big bike starts to push the front a bit and I have to start using the brutal acceleration of the big 1200 off the corners.  No, I haven't drug a knee on the 1200, but he says I get real close.  I'm not a knee dragger at the track either though.  I'll touch the deck with my puck a bit and tuck my knee back in enough to keep it off the track (perhaps subconsciencely due to previous knee surgeries).  The big bike will handle, but, it's a still a big bike.........and still my favorite sporting street motorcycle out of the 20+ bikes I've owned.  However, I don't expect it to be something it isn't.  I ride according to its rules.</p>

Could not have said it better... Me too! I've owned 4 VFR's now. A 1st Gen (87) two 6th Gen's ('05,'06 w/abs) and now my 7th Gen and I love this one the best. I too am a little older and love everything about this bike, except the 1st & 2nd gear restriction. Honda seemed to listen to our complaints about the 6th Gen and made it even better IMHO... Just so we all know too, this bike will do 200 miles on a tank... I did it last ride to Ft. Bragg. The reserve is alot larger than we think! As soon as the fuel light started flashing, I went another 47 miles until we gassed up then I could only put 4.2 gals to the top of the tank, on the centerstand. :wheel:

Archived