7Th Gen Tires?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no I wasn't over inflating, just going by mfg specs. I'll holler w results next time I go run the corners. Thanks again!

You have toi remember that MFG specs for tire pressure is gonna be for the OE tires, different tires like different pressures. I Run 36 rear and 34 front also, and it seems to be the best pressure I've found on the Pilot Powers. I actually came upon those numbers by trial and error.

• Member Contributer

You have toi remember that MFG specs for tire pressure is gonna be for the OE tires, different tires like different pressures. I Run 36 rear and 34 front also, and it seems to be the best pressure I've found on the Pilot Powers. I actually came upon those numbers by trial and error.

Wonder what the PR2 rear would take for best twisty road performance? I have a new PP on the front...

oh no kidding!? thats good to know. I guess I thought it was calculated for the weight of the bike and its dynamics. But that'd require the closing of a pretty huge variable being the tires. Nice. Kinda like BDC reticles on rifle scopes don't work exactly right unless you're using the same barrel, the same rounds and in similar atmospheric conditions as when it was made. I think I'm catching on.

I suppose a psi trial might be in order here. Guess that'd be the quickest fix for now anyway, until I can to a track. I'll start w 36r/34f. Good stuff! :D

• Member Contributer

I run 42rear/36front. Push them pretty hard through the corners and they stick just fine on AR chip and seal roads.

Totally agree, manafactures tyre pressures for the road, are there for a reason, i think they know more than us, :smile: saying that, for the track use, you need to lower the tyre pressures for road use.

Just a thought...Austin is not THAT far away. Come on up and for a tank of gas and a sandwich...I'll show you more in a day than you will learn in a year of track days. :biggrin: However, if you are ready and wanting to take corners at triple digits...the track is probably best.

• Member Contributer

Stock tires from a track day about a month ago....going with PR3s in about a month.....did a great job, no more chicken strip and pushed as hard as I could.

post-25378-0-94318100-1367894967.jpg

post-25378-0-09221300-1367895015.jpg

• Member Contributer

Stock tires from a track day about a month ago....going with PR3s in about a month.....did a great job, no more chicken strip and pushed as hard as I could.

You should be able to use all the tyre on the road, you don't need to go on track to achieve that, your standard road tyre will give you more than enough grip for the road, so you should not have any chicken stripes, you need to try harder. :smile:

• Member Contributer

sorry, i disagree, pushing the envelope on the street, vs track is an invitation for disaster, plus balling up a 15k motorcycle that i have had for a little over a year because some clown didnt see me, or I was riding above the limits....just bad...track days are safer. Still going with PR3's for the next session though.

I enjoy riding winding backroads and carving corners where ever I can, but I don't ride anywhere near my limits on the street. That's what track is for. Hats off to dadofseven for doing a whole TD on the big Viffer. I don't think I have the guts to do that with mine. That's why I have a cheapie GSXR600 track bunny. If I get my trailer retooled to take 2 bikes, I'd like to take the Viffer to a TD, just to ride the parade laps or on the track taking it easy at lunch time.

Who said anything about riding above the limits??? Whether that be speed limits or your current skill level limit. If riding above the limits is dangerous on the street it is just as dangerous on the track...maybe even moreso. My point is simply that some riders believe they need to go to a track to "learn" how to ride. Not true IMO. It is simply not necessary to do race track potential speeds to learn new or even basic riding skills. Many can be done in a parking lot actually...but I guess that could be dangerous too.

I ride with 'lots' of different riders and have seen many that frequent the tracks yet have average skills. I think it would be smarter to learn good technique and smooth operation before heading out to a track to see how fast you can go. Additionally, In a days time on the street you can put in literally hundreds of learning miles yet on the track you get several 20 minute rides. Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

sorry, i disagree, pushing the envelope on the street, vs track is an invitation for disaster, plus balling up a 15k motorcycle that i have had for a little over a year because some clown didnt see me, or I was riding above the limits....just bad...track days are safer. Still going with PR3's for the next session though.

You can still ride quickly on the street without riding dangerously, it is all about riding within yourself, being smooth, no harsh braking, and carrying the speed through the corners, looking far enough ahead of you, and planning your move, before doing so. Maybe you should try having a day with a x police instructor, like Bikewise, or the like, and have a look at their tyres, there are no chicken stripes on there tyres either. :smile:

• Member Contributer

I guess I'm missing the point, didn't say anything about racing, track days at LVMS are practice days, with instructors available for every session. TracTactics runs the ones I have been too. Next session is end of May. I have been riding since I was 7, and agree stay within in limits , stay smooth, I get it. But everything you mention, looking far enough ahead, planning moves and carrying speed are all great on the track, but in the real world the only thing you missed is the other guy. Can t plan that event, ever, but you can prepare for them.

Im not saying I don't ride as you mentioned, but to make a generality that these things are OK, riding in any sort of street scenery is always dangerous. We have Demos all the time with the Nevada Highway Patrol they do them at under 10 mph, all day long, even seen them lay the bikes down a couple times.

What you mentioned is great advice, but on a track, during a track day you pull out the "other" unknowns. Still dangers, but riding, braking, smooth, and predictable. I met Fast Freddie sometime ago, he always said smooth is fast, and he doesn't ride on the street.

This thread is about tires.....right?

• Member Contributer

:offtopic:

Dangers are inherent in this sport. It's part of riding a bike.

:offtopic:

Back on topic, Fubard, how did the tire pressure change do?

I rarely use the whole tire on public roads. Sight distances, unpredictable road surface conditions and other vehicles don't allow to do so most of the time.

no harsh braking, and carrying the speed through the corners
The braking is part of the fun to me and I consider having to carry the speed through the corners instead of just a good hand full of de- and accelerating more dangerous because of said reasons.

Sorry, jury's still out. I was cramming for finals n now cramming for NREMT testing. I'll letcha know in the next week or so once life lets up a lil. Thanks again for all the great help.

So I went for a lil ride yesterday evening and realized that the lower tire pressure added a bit helpful but not as much as concentrating on my technique was. I also think the rain helped. The stretch I really push it on (because there are perfect twisties w NO intersections) gets a lil worn n becomes slick when dry for too long. Leaning out more, holding the throttle at a more constant pressure, and general smoothness of action helped me achieve higher speed but I still get slippage pretty easily at the higher angles. I really just need to take it to a good track n figure out what's pushing the front out. As I pushed the bike into the garage though, I heard the front brake whine a lil. Maybe check that next. Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad to hear some of you are getting plenty of stick w this setup. I'll get this figured out sooner or later!

• Member Contributer

Try 36 rear and 34 front when you want to twisty ride......

Yeah i agree but not for daily riding not unless you have deep pockets.

• Member Contributer

Of course that is why I mentioned "twisty ride". I do not commute on mine or freeway/city ride on it either. Once in a while I will use it for something pedestrian and will go 36f/42r. 95% of the time it's twisty only.

• Member Contributer

Of course that is why I mentioned "twisty ride". I do not commute on mine or freeway/city ride on it either. Once in a while I will use it for something pedestrian and will go 36f/42r. 95% of the time it's twisty only.

I tried that on 129 a couple times and absolutely destroyed 2 set of PP's. love the traction but can't afford $ 200.00 worth of tires in one day.

Archived