Now This Is A Nice Fold Up Trailer

HispanicSlammer

• Member Contributer

I've always liked that kind of design. The way it folds up is pretty awesome though. No body bag of parts like i have seen on other similar trailers. Super light and easy on the tow vehicle. Price isn't bad either. Not cheap, but IIRC it's comparable to other similar systems.

Two big problems I have with this particular one. It needs a locking front wheel chock. It makes loading and tying down so much easier, and they're not that expensive for a mid-grade one. It needs beefier tie-down points. First thing I noticed was the beams to tighten the front end down turn into a banana on the first ratchet.

• Member Contributer

I don't like the tiny 12" wheels. I would rather have plain powdercoated 15" wheels instead of the small, but fancy chome ones. Small wheels make a trailer bounce.

• Member Contributer

I noticed that same point about the front tie down - that arm was bending like crazy with hardly any tension. I've towed bikes with 4.8X8 tires on my first trailer and there was little bouncing around, so I think a 12 or 13 inch tire is fine. The lack of ANY suspension would kill it for me, though. Would be very simple to put torsion stub axles on that. Also when you push the bike up the fender gets in your way. Also you NEED a second person with that setup. At least if you had a regular trailer deck you could put the side or center stand down. Too much money for a single rail / single purpose trailer for my money.

Getting too old to make those cross country trips every spring Miguel? :tongue:

I loaded my bike in the truck for the first time this fall for my trip to Bristol. It was great to ride all those great roads and then just have a nice drive home on Sunday when I was worn out. May be in the cards for Tmac this year.

• Member Contributer

Another "smaller" option...........they have been around a while.

Edit to add: Oooooops forgot the link http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

I would go with something bigger but if storage is a huge problem then these rigs would work or just get one of those setups from Harbor Freight or Home Depot.

I think the Harbor Freight folding trailer cost me about $400 all said and done, including a spare tire. That's with the large wheels as well. It is a bit wobbly, needs some work to put together, and isn't super sturdy, but it got me around NY, and from NY down to TX. One big benefit was how light it was compared to other trailers, especially the UHaul ones I looked at renting that would max out my car's towing capacity.

For two years now it has sat folded up at the back of my 2-car, gathering dust until the next time I move, or sell it for a bigger trailer if I get a truck.

100_5220.JPG

I think the Harbor Freight folding trailer cost me about $400 all said and done, including a spare tire. That's with the large wheels as well. It is a bit wobbly, needs some work to put together, and isn't super sturdy, but it got me around NY, and from NY down to TX. One big benefit was how light it was compared to other trailers, especially the UHaul ones I looked at renting that would max out my car's towing capacity.

For two years now it has sat folded up at the back of my 2-car, gathering dust until the next time I move, or sell it for a bigger trailer if I get a truck.

100_5220.JPG

I had the same harbor freight trailer prior to the Kendon I have now. It survived two trips across the country (FL to Cali and back) and numerous trackday trips with my 636. I had to replace the wiring once and a fender fell off from vibration... grease would seep out of one of the wheels and I also lost a few bolts as the nuts backed out heh. It worked but when I got the Aprilia I couldn't take the general shoddyness and wobbling nature of it so I invested in a quality trailer.

• Forum CEO

Well the trailer in a box is even shoddier, then this one, the Kendon is almost as much as I paid for the scooter, and does not fold up as neatly. I dont like the lack of suspension, but then again the bikes have suspension, the tie downs are too flexy too? Did I mention I would be pulling it with a Honda Civic? Not looking for a big heavy trailer here guys, nor expensive.

http://youtu.be/AajngmcdAR4

I dont know about the trailer but thats a good video!

• Member Contributer

Can't believe it but there are several options for hitches that fit the Civic coupes. 200 lb tongue weight and up to 2000 lbs on the trailer.

I towed a Katana and a VF500C from the middle of Mass back to Rochester with the 3000GT no problem with my class 1 hitch. And I believe I'm not the only one who has towed with a GT. In Europe, most cars have hitch options because SUV's aren't typical, and they manage just as well with their smaller engines. Couple that with how a trailer hitch on an SUV seems to be an exotic and expensive option ($5K!!!), and having a car with a hitch becomes really nice. I managed to get 27mpg towing the two bikes too.

I had the same harbor freight trailer prior to the Kendon I have now. It survived two trips across the country (FL to Cali and back) and numerous trackday trips with my 636. I had to replace the wiring once and a fender fell off from vibration... grease would seep out of one of the wheels and I also lost a few bolts as the nuts backed out heh. It worked but when I got the Aprilia I couldn't take the general shoddyness and wobbling nature of it so I invested in a quality trailer.

I'm pretty sure I used a gallon of loctite on the bolts, and definately made it a regular occurance to pump grease into the bearings. As for the shoddiness, it sure flexes a lot, but there are two things that might help me keep it around. First is I've only taken my old bikes on it (neither the Ducati nor Honda have ridden on it) and second I'm going to weld in reinforcements at the corners if I do end up keeping it.

When I was a little kid my Father had (still does in his basement, I'm sure) a set of these that hung from the front bumper of the Rambler Rebel SST to carry the '68 Yamaha around on. Of course, that's back when cars had bumpers made of real American Steel.

motorcycle-carrier-bumper-attach-style_4870315.jpg

I would guess that the modern version of those is the trailer hitch carrier....

Motovan-Joe-Hauler-6-7-11.jpg

I'm sure that would exceed your 200 pound tongue weight limit. But maybe you could have someone weld up something that would bolt directly to the frame (does a Civic have a frame?) of the car. Or possibly there is a reciever hitch that you could have installed with a higher tongue weight limit?

Archived