Painting vs plasti dip: Red black color scheme

ninjadoc

Been looking at several stuffs online about plastidip, seems like a reasonable, economical and correctable experimental vs mistake to try new colors on bike. As far as the works i seen on the web they all pretty much came out good. Any body actually did it on the fairings?

Nothing important, just some random thought in mind as i am sitting at home NOT RIDING due to the suckanova weather killing some time off which i took for riding 2 weeks earlier. This is the outcome of idle hands, didnt know where to head to, just wanted a red black color scheme. Should have chose a better picture to work on and not with hefty bags and tank bag.

color-scheme-copy.png

I think it's pretty bad ass! I would 2 tone the hard bags to match like a rwb does. You could even 2 tone the wheels to give some depth? Sorry to hear about the waisted time & hope you still get to have some time for fun.

is that photoshop? is so TEACH ME PLZZ haha can you send me the psd file to see how you do it and maybe try it on my own bike?, it looks amazing, oh and i have the same tank bag on ur picture. just wondering, the straps wont harm the paint while riding?

My Honda car forum ppl are plastic coating large sections all the time............Don't like it peel it off.

Very thin layers to apply 3-4 coats, the thicker the coat the easier to peel off later.

Here's a link that might .... 'Splain some things.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/joker2266s-build-thread.3414/#post-45905

I plastidipped some eyeliner onto my bike because I was not fully convinced I would care for the out come- i like the way it looks but im still glad it's not permanate. Also, I covered my faded frame sliders- both have withstood 1000+ miles of bugs, dirt, wind, rocks, washing and has left me with no complaints!

Its definately good for the one who wants to see what that photoshopped paint would look like on his own bike!

post-23365-0-30115300-1351453577.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very interesting stuff. Here's some info on color kit's for it. http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/Create_Your_Color_Kit

I wouldn't mind trying it on the lower most part of the fairing as a removeable bug and rock coating. 85,000 miles on my lowers and it shows. Thanks for sharing this.

thx for the input every one, as of now my biggest worry is whtr this will damage the original paint in any way in the long run when i want to peel it off

@audi: i just used pen tool demarcated the area and changed the color, i am no pro and my technique might be a long work around for something which can be done easily by others, i merge all layers as i proceed so the psd is no use for you since all changes are permanent

Interesting stuff.

So just in theory, someone could plastidip their bike Kawasaki green,

do their evil deed, then zoom off to some spot ro rip the green off.

Hi Officer, yeah, some green bike went thattaway like a bat out of Halloween. :goofy:

Hmmm....I didnt know this stuff existed. I may have to give that stuff a try! I've been wanting to change the color of my bike since I am not a fan of red.....this may be a solution. Thanks for the heads up on it! Ill have to do a little more research on it, but i like what i see so far. I may buy a scuffed up side panel just to try this stuff on and test it out.

• Member Contributer

Based on my experience it can be used in places where there is not much rubbing. I've plastidipped the door handles on my Saab and the stuff started coming off soon after. Thankfully it does come off. No harm no foul. Just wasted time and $5.

• 1 month later...

This stuff is pretty cool, does anybody know if they can match the honda color codes? I went to the plasti-dip website and they only have about a dozen or so colors. They have a mix it kit, where you can make your own color but other than that i didn't see where they offer the ability to match color codes. This would be a pretty sweet tank protection option if you can get it to match your bikes color.

I have been experimenting with this stuff for the last month or so, since i discovered it in this very posting. I'm sold on it. I have "dipped" the wheels on my car, which were looking pretty horrible and corroded before...and now they look awesome, in flat black dip! I've also been doing some on-going testing on my spare VFR rear seat cover with very excellent results. I get most of my info from dipyourcar.com They have a forum there and the members (and mods/owners) are very helpful. Seems like it is just taking off using it on cars and bike and such, so there is a lot of expirimenting going on. But to answer your question riverlife, it would be very difficult to exactly color match any color currently. They dont offer any kind of "custom" colors other than the mix kit you talked about and that would be very, if not impossible to do right. Also, one of the biggest problems with "dipping" a motorcycle tank is that plastidip basically dissolves if you get gas on it. So you have to be very careful with filups. Never the less, after all the success I've had with my car wheels and the testing on my rear seat cowl, I've decided I am going to DIp my whole bike over the winter. My bike already has some scratches on both sides from driveway drops, not to mention I am not a fan of all red, so I figure why not give it a try. I'm throwing around some color combo ideas in my head, but I'll be sure to take lots of pics and document everything so I can post back with results.

• Member Contributer

Are most people using the aerosol or the cans? And is there a difference in the performance? I wouldn't mind playing with the color of my lower fairings, and I like the non-permenant characteristic.

Riverlife, you may want to experiment first, but they do have a clear. All the protection without the colormatching (assuming your diligent with the gas). I'm using clear contact paper, btw.

• Member Contributer

I have been experimenting with this stuff for the last month or so, since i discovered it in this very posting. I'm sold on it. I have "dipped" the wheels on my car, which were looking pretty horrible and corroded before...and now they look awesome, in flat black dip! I've also been doing some on-going testing on my spare VFR rear seat cover with very excellent results. I get most of my info from dipyourcar.com They have a forum there and the members (and mods/owners) are very helpful. Seems like it is just taking off using it on cars and bike and such, so there is a lot of expirimenting going on. But to answer your question riverlife, it would be very difficult to exactly color match any color currently. They dont offer any kind of "custom" colors other than the mix kit you talked about and that would be very, if not impossible to do right. Also, one of the biggest problems with "dipping" a motorcycle tank is that plastidip basically dissolves if you get gas on it. So you have to be very careful with filups. Never the less, after all the success I've had with my car wheels and the testing on my rear seat cowl, I've decided I am going to DIp my whole bike over the winter. My bike already has some scratches on both sides from driveway drops, not to mention I am not a fan of all red, so I figure why not give it a try. I'm throwing around some color combo ideas in my head, but I'll be sure to take lots of pics and document everything so I can post back with results.

Looking forward to seeing how you make out. I will be working with this product this weekend. I am thinking of using the dip in combination with matt black vinyl dependent on the area. I am starting with dip, spay, on the belly and seeing if I am happy with the results. With precise masking and quality tape the possibilities are limitless. I do have a concern about rolling up an edge of the dip on areas that will have more vulnerability to abrasion. I wont know until testing. If it looks like it would hold up I may use it further up the fairing on certain locations. Really looking forward to playing with this being that anything I do is instantly reversible. That alone makes this product a game changer. Pics pending.

I used Plasti-dip on my NACA ducts and it worked as advertised. You can simply rub off over spray, and it peels off just like on the vids online. Just be careful as it seems to tear kinda unclean sometimes, and if not fully cured it will easily puncture by brushing a fingernail or something on it.

Oh, also, word of advise, after use make sure to clean out the nozzle--it really does clog up like they say it does if you don't hold it upside down to spray out the stuff.

Going to have to find a place around here that stocks that, it could be an iteresting alternative to what I was planning originally for my GS850G... Bedliner, that is.

Ok, I started typing and posting up some pics here, but decided it might be better to just start a whole new thread on Plasti-dip testing, so that's what I did. Has quite a few pics of my most recent test and also a some description of what Plasti-dip is and what it does. Take a look here....

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73491-plasti-dip-testing-with-pics/

A quick search suggests it isn't that great on gas tanks, as spilled fuel will easily damage it. I don't suppose if anyone knows the extent to the vulnerability?

I have a spare gas tank for my Suzuki I was pondering using as a painting project. I had originally planned on bedlinering the bottom, and painting the rest with whiteboard paint. This could be a fun temporary covering.

Archived