94 rear wheel bearings. Magic Unicorn?

So my front end has been vibrating and I discovered my front end bearings were shot. I could jiggle the front wheel without the bars moving. (Professional analysis, please don't try at home.)

So I ordered some new front wheel bearings (from the same place that makes the best oil and tires made for a VFR obviously)

But. I cant find a source for rear bearing(s). Do any of you gentleman have a link, and possibly some instructions for the rear wheel sorcery?

Many thanks.

If you remove the bearings and take them to an industrial bearing supply house, they should be able to cross reference them and supply you with replacements.

The dust seals for the axle, and also suspension pivots are usually some weird-Alice thickness, so Honda is probably the place to get those. I've tried before.

Also the needle bearings are likely "special" and only from Mother Honda.

But the rest of the bearings should be readily available.

If you don't want to remove them first, the bearing numbers are listed on the microfiche, you'd be looking for something like: Bearing, 52x25x17 6204UU

Those would be the OD, ID and width, plus the bearing number.

BTW, I made those dimensions up out of thin air, so they are meaningless.

The rear wheel bearings are contained within the hub, and are big needle rollers. It's actually pretty rare for them to require attention, or replacement - even with high mileage.

Really? I figured if the fronts were shot, the rear couldn't be fair behind.

What about the steering bearings? The steering feels smooth and all, but I was using the same logic as the front bearings. If the steering feels OK, should I let sleeping dogs lie?

Thanks again.

On my 3rd gen I have to replace front wheel bearings after about 40k km. The rear hub has both ball and needle bearings. I replaced the ball bearings in the rear hub at 100k km. I did not feel any play but one sounded a little rough. The OEM ball bearing is an odd model consisting of two single row ball bearings joint together by a plastic ring forming a double row ball bearing. I replaced it with two regular sized single row ball bearings. The rear hub needle bearing was still in great shape and I only cleaned it and put in some new grease.

Attached is a list of the bearings used on a 4th gen VFR.

When your bike still has the original head bearings and done 30k+ mls than they will likely need to be replaced. With the front wheel up in the air and pulling on the fork legs you can sometimes feel a notch when rotating the fork side to side. Still sometimes you need to remove the fork legs from the triples to feel the bearings having dent races.

bearings1a.doc

• Member Contributer

The fronts are ball bearings, the rear are needle bearings. They work differently and wear differently.

Somewhere I saw a thread of someone taking A rear bearing out and cleaning it. Not sure if it was swingarm bearing or rear hub bearing, but it was a needle bearing. Just cleaned it and didn't find any wear or issues with it.

The stock steering head bearings wear out eventually. Most replace with tapered roller bearings. If you can't feel any notches or clicking when you rotate the handlebars, then they're probably still good.

• Member Contributer

Bearings don't just fail due to age--they usually fail due to seal failure, which allows water to get into the bearings--so there is no reason to suspect other bearing failures simply because some have failed already.

(In case it is an issue, I believe that 4th-gen rear bearings are the same as 3rd-gen, but this could be confirmed by comparing the microfiche. My Bearing Page lists the various rear bearings and part numbers for my 3rd-gen.)

Ciao,

It took me over two months of scouring the interweb and every bearing house I had access to before I found the big-end crank bearing for my '68 Yamaha two-stroke. I work in industry and thought, "that won't be hard to find." I was wrong.

All I can tell you is that it is out there..... somewhere. (in my case, Thailand) You'll eventually find it. It may not be easy and you might pay a little more than you think you should have to. Just keep scouring.

• Member Contributer

Somewhere I saw a thread of someone taking A rear bearing out and cleaning it. Not sure if it was swingarm bearing or rear hub bearing, but it was a needle bearing. Just cleaned it and didn't find any wear or issues with it.

Here... BLS tutorial on the roller bearing cleaning...

Archived