• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

It's a treat to compare VH's fall pictures to my collection of spring and summer pictures. On any given weekend I will run the Dragon, Blue Ridge and take a leisurely run through SMNF. I have about a 1,000 pictures, several of which I am going to have professionally printed to go in full sized picture frames. In the new house there is a high half-wall between floors that is perfect for mounting a collection of prints that capture the essence of riding motorcycles in this area and the raw, natural beauty of the mountains.

post-1814-0-21109500-1352730818.jpg

KEB

It's a treat to compare VH's fall pictures to my collection of spring and summer pictures. On any given weekend I will run the Dragon, Blue Ridge and take a leisurely run through SMNF. I have about a 1,000 pictures, several of which I am going to have professionally printed to go in full sized picture frames. In the new house there is a high half-wall between floors that is perfect for mounting a collection of prints that capture the essence of riding motorcycles in this area and the raw, natural beauty of the mountains.

KEB

That would be an interesting project, Keb. Just realized that I have none of my riding photo on the my house's wall. I may think of a project as yours, but smaller.

------------------------------

It was not easy to park the bike on the soft shoulder, but the place was so nice, so I have tried to find the stone to aid the side stand:

DSC04237.jpg

A calm upstream:

DSC04247.jpg

But a different look of downstream:

DSC04244.jpg

DSC04248.jpg

DSC04254.jpg

Just took a silent moment, at the middle of the forest, beside the stream and the VFR. I was wishing my family being there with me....

DSC04253.jpg

Well, sun was shining, and my family was asleep at home...

DSC04251.jpg

Back to the road again:

DSC04256.jpg

Fall was all around...

DSC04257.jpg

Some milestone:

DSC04260.jpg

Nice view from an overlook:

DSC04267.jpg

A bit different type of trees:

DSC04275.jpg

DSC04277.jpg

A bit different look with a crowded tourist campsite:

DSC04271.jpg

DSC04283.jpg

Yeah, you can stop anytime when riding alone. I have another stop at another overlook:

DSC04290.jpg

DSC04284.jpg

RWB VFR between the golden fall:

DSC04288.jpg

Awesome day for ride:

DSC04291.jpg

(to be continued...)

• Member Contributer

post-1814-0-21109500-1352730818.jpg

KEB

Dont see any oil stains on the floors yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Continue with the trip. I think I was coming down South on 441:

DSC04292.jpg

DSC04295.jpg

Then saw this:

DSC04297.jpg

Well, save that BRP for the next day.:

DSC04300.jpg

Reach Cherokee:

DSC04301.jpg

I still feel regret that I did not take time to visit the Indian museum there.

And did not buy any shirt, even with good price:

DSC04302.jpg

DSC04303.jpg

DSC04305.jpg

A busy little town:

DSC04307.jpg

We don't have this in Vietnam:

DSC04308.jpg

But we have such kind of power lines:

DSC04311.jpg

Passed Cherokee, I keep continuing on 107 down to Glenville and Cashiers.

DSC04313.jpg

The roads to Glenville was awesome, a bit small but very few traffic, and lots of twisty:

DSC04314.jpg

Arrived Glenville around 3:30PM. I was quite worried because there was still quite long way back to Robbinsville, and I did not know how the road would be:

DSC04317.jpg

Glenville Post office:

DSC04316.jpg

DSC04318.jpg

I stopped for a while. Look at the map, try to figure out the location and the route back to Robinsville from Glenville. I was thinking of riding in the dark on 129 when getting back the cabin. Then I decided to continue with the planned route.

Kept going for a little while, I saw a very nice lake on the right:

DSC04320-1.jpg

That's the boat rental station:

DSC04322.jpg

The bike in the sun:

DSC04325.jpg

DSC04327.jpg

Quickly got on the bike, to Cashiers in about some miles, then I turn right at Cashiers to 64.

The 64 to Highlands and the 28 to Franklin were really great as well. However I was feeling not really comfortable as the sunlight hit directly to my eyes. It was quite difficult for me at many corners.

It was quite late, darker and darker so I did not take anymore photo, except this:

DSC04330.jpg

In Vietnamese, Macon, actually "Ma con" means a "little ghost". I was reading that in Vietnamese all the way back to Robbinsville. Damn, that night was the first night I stayed alone in the Robbinsville cabin!!

Hit back to the town, had dinner and end the riding day.

I turned all the light inside and outside the cabin that night. Made some plans for the cases of someone knock at the door at the midnight... ect... Damn, that was a long night!

:))

thanks for all the pix Trung, feels like we are all there with you.

Thanks Adam.

Appreciate you guys' time for watching. Thank you all for your comments and likes.

I know that I was taking too many photos, which may too familiar to you, but honestly to say, they are all new to me, I don't want to miss any beautiful scene on the way.

I have 3 more day for the trip.

Day 5 with VFR.

It was the day I plan to move away from the Cabin in Robbinsville. I was hopping I can head North to reach Virginia, just pass the state line couple of miles then I can claim that I 've been to one more State. :tongue:

Well, If having a local with me, for sure I can make it. However, I chose the safer option which could let me take an easy day and really enjoy the ride.

Here is my tracklog of the day 5:

Day5.jpg

Last time see this:

DSC04332.jpg

Got off the cabin, started the bike, it was quite chilly:

DSC04340-1.jpg

DSC04341.jpg

I headed to Dragon from theere. Done the last round of the Dragon.

Nothing else to see and taking photos others than these - RWB VFR at the state line btw NC and TN:

DSC04345.jpg

DSC04351.jpg

DSC04353.jpg

I left the Dragon with the same route #80. But this time, I have chance to take photos with the very beautiful lake, I think it may just around within 10miles from the Dragon:

DSC04368.jpg

DSC04366-1.jpg

DSC04360.jpg

DSC04356-1.jpg

I headed to Blue Ridge Parkway. Passed Bryson City, I think I went for the wrong way for a while. Then came back to get thru Cherokee one more time. That was the last time I passed those two places.

And after that I again missed the turn from the Hwy 19 to Blue Ridge Parkway. I gotta make another U-turn.

Finally, I got this:

DSC04371.jpg

DSC04373.jpg

I was so happy when reaching that area. Further more, that day was really beautiful weather.

I don't know it 's allowed or not. But who cares!?

DSC04376.jpg

Wow... many and many wow... I was really ecstatic with the beauty of the scenes on Blue Ridge Parkway:

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

(to be continued...)

• Member Contributer

I'll bet you are glad you came to the Blue Ridge instead of the Ozarks. So are we.

I wonder if National Geographic will offer Trung a contract.

• Member Contributer

I'll bet you are glad you came to the Blue Ridge instead of the Ozarks. So are we.

I wonder if National Geographic will offer Trung a contract.

Don't knock it till you've tried it! Err...I mean, yeah, the Ozarks is a terrible place to ride...Lots of traffic, cops everywhere, no corners...

Hahah... So I gotta be riding at Ozarks one day. It's not so difficult to create a vote btw Ozarks vs Smoky Mountain, especially after having lots of photos like what I have here.

Looking for another biz trip... LOL...

The Blue Ridge Parkway may be familiar with lots of you guys, but for me, it was really awesome. I would never forget my excitement when seeing all those wonderful color.

Words may not be able to express all the beauty of the trees, roads, and mountains there.

DSC04377.jpg

DSC04380.jpg

DSC04381.jpg

DSC04382.jpg

I stopped at quite numbers of overlook area. Some places I just pulled off, still sitting on the bike, enjoy the view for some seconds, then kept riding. Some others made me to off the bike, pulled my camera up and shot:

DSC04383.jpg

DSC04386.jpg

DSC04387.jpg

DSC04390.jpg

I reached the highest point of the Blue Ridge Parkway:

DSC04394.jpg

I was wishing of Wrestler and RollingAgain being there with me:

DSC04391.jpg

(to be continued...)

• Member Contributer

I've been fortunate enough to have ridden the entire length of the Blue Ridge, and also to have ridden the Ozarks. Each area has something to offer. Same with the Pacific Coast Highway... same with Utah (too many great roads and rock formations to single out by name)... same with the Black Hills... same with the Maritimes... same with the East Coast... It can be surprising just how much the scenery changes in a very short distance. However motorcycle touring is one of the best ways to experience it.

• Member Contributer

As soon as I finish closing on my house here in TN I am purchasing an ST1300 which I plan on taking on a 3 week tour next year. I have a friend who lives in Fort Collins, CO and some other friends in MO. Getting to the Rockies via the Ozarks just sounds too cool. If it works out I will stretch out my ride a week and check out California again.

KEB

• Member Contributer

I will have 4+ weeks by next summer. We could go easy rider style...on ST1300's...the perfect disguise and think of the contraband in those huge tanks. :tour:

KEB

• Member Contributer

You both have VFRs... perfect for touring - even with a stock seat (Toss on a tent and go!).

I'm sure Viethorse would back me up on that having been playing recently in the twisties on one...

• Member Contributer

Oh believe me, I've done it with the VFR and stock seat. 3K miles to NY and back in October, and several years ago I went to CO from So Fla.

You'd be surprised how good the ST is in the twisty bits :tour: , in fact I'd be willing to bet the ST is more fun in the twisties than the VFR is on the slab!

:offtopic: Sorry about the threadjacking! :laugh: Back to the Viethorse show:

I wish i could come back and do the Ozarks with you guys...

Yes, the VFR with saddle bags and may be tank or tail bags would be a great bike for touring. As you all know the thread of Patrik, he has done his trip with a 6th Gen VFR. However, trying another type of bike would never a bad idea.

• Member Contributer

When you come back, I'll go to the Ozarks with you Trung. Of course, I'm an old guy so I am satisfied to do it with my 6th gen. Change is good....sometimes

I am also looking for a chance to come back there. Especially after seeing the schedule of next year TMAC.

-------------------

Left the highest point of the Blue Rigde Parkway, I kept riding toward the Ashville area.

The parkway offered lots of amazing sceneries, all the beautiful looks which I had seen only on screen:

DSC04395.jpg

DSC04396.jpg

DSC04398.jpg

DSC04404.jpg

DSC04407.jpg

DSC04410.jpg

DSC04412.jpg

DSC04414.jpg

One of the most beautiful look to me:

DSC04438.jpg

and this:

DSC04457.jpg

DSC04459.jpg

There was a tunnel:

DSC04472.jpg

DSC04497.jpg

I was riding near to Ashville. I sent messages to Wrestler and Earthshake to ask for some places to stay that night.

Besides, I also looked into my Garmin GPS to find the place. Lucky me, I found the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. I calle the number on the GPS and the owner answered. Room was available, wifi free, price was ok to me.

Headed to Ashville for some more gas and turned back a bit to the Campground. It was somewhere at the middle of the Blue Rige Parkway.

With my GPS, I can find the place without any difficulties. I saw some bikers just heading out of the campground, some were setting up their tents.

Met the owner, he showed me the cabins:

DSC04499.jpg

They looked nice and okay to me.

This was my cabin for that night:

DSC04498.jpg

There was nothing inside the cabin except a bed, a small heater and some clothes hangers on the walls.

The area has the free public bathroom and toilet. Had the washing machine, but they need coins to work. :D

With my gears still on, I headed out about 5-7 miles for dinner. I had dinner in a Mexican restaurant that night. Food was really great.

Come back and had bath.

After that I brought my laptop to the recreation room (a common room of the campground) to connect to stronger wifi and chit chat with the bikers in there.

Other riders were so supprise that I am all over from Vietnam to there and ride.

Slept not so well that night because the small heater and thin blanket did not help.

Tracklog for the Day 5:

Day5.jpg

Archived