Convince me....

Guest 1slocrx

Guest 1slocrx

I am considering buying a motorcycle again. My previous ride was a 1999 CBR600F4, that I had for about 5 years. I am a bit older now (40) and have kids that I will probably go touring with if they like it.

While I like the light weight and flickability of the CBRs, I really never tracked my 600 when I had it and dont see my self doing more than a couple track days a year at most (prob at the noob level if they have one) on the VFR.

I guess the questions are: How does everybody feel about the weght? Anybody have good passenger comments, concerns, tips about riding in back?

I have read through almost all the pages of topics here and almost all the posts in an effort to learn and digest the info. My wife is allowing this purchase and I fear it may be my last motorcycle I ever get. Just want to make sure im doing the right thing. My mind says its the right bike to get.

• Member Contributer

I have a '94 and I got it after not riding for about 10 years and have enjoyed the past 70,000 on the VFR & 21,000 on a cx500 commuter over the past 6 years :tour: I have ridden the VFR two up quite often and my S.O. falls asleep on the VFR, she is very comfortable ! In my opinion the VFR is a great bike for someone getting back to riding, In my 70k on this one, the maintenance has been tires, chain/sprockets, spark plugs & oil changes, these engines were built to last!!!

I think the VFR (especially the 6th gen) is the ideal "tweener." My wife used to ride around all day on the pillion of my '03, and she's 5'11". At the same time, if you want to go shred some backroads, put on the seat cowl and take off the grab handles and you've got yourself a decent sportbike. For two-up, an aftermarket seat makes a lot of difference (I had a Sargent).

The 6th gen isn't exactly "light," but I still think the 7th gen is too heavy. Great engine/brakes/suspension, but it's a big bike. With the deals you can get on low-mile 6th gens, that's where I'd look if I were in your situation. Just my two pennies.

The only way to answer your questions is to ride one or two. I had a 5th gen VFR after not riding for 15 years. It's a nice bike but a bit low on power and I personally think that the brakes of the 5th gen are weak. Personally, I don't like the 6th gens with the VTEC construction. Besides that for me there wasn't lot of improvement between the 5th and 6th gen. So, I bought a 7th gen. What a great bike. Better handling, super brakes, ABS and lots of power. I rode both bikes several times with different passengers. The 7th gen is definitely a better ride for two. If this is the last bike you buy and you want a VFR, choose the 1200. It's by far the best VFR.

• Member Contributer

So far everyone makes valid points...

I'll say this much:

If I was told that the 1200VFR was going to be the last bike I could have, I wouldn't be upset. It's my favorite of the one's I've owned.

Sure, it's kinda chubby, the tank is a bit on the small side and it's got some minor nagging issues, but all that to say this bike moves my soul.

I've a 7th Gen V12. It's a great bike (with some personal mods, in all fairness)

For 2-up, my wife greatly prefers it over my former ride, a HD Fat Bob (Dyna) Both equipped with a Corbin Dual Tour. She's been on the back of the V12 5x's as much as a result of her preference for it's "ride".

When riding solo, I pop the OEM seat on sometimes, as I don't mind it at all. It is (and def feels) much lighter than the Corbin.

Power, braking, handling are all great. I've had a few other Honda's, but this has been the best of them.

• Member Contributer

Convince you. Well...when deciding whether to buy another VFR or a multitude of other bikes, I ended up with a 98 and do not regret it at all. In fact, my dad decided to compliment his ST1100 with an 07 RWB VFR. Even with his torn leg muscle he can still spend all day on it and not feel sore. So we have 4 VFRs in the garage now.

Which VFR? Depends on what you want and how much money you're willing to spend. Each generation has their ups and downs, but all of them are good. All of them are probably going to need some suspension enhancements (like stiffer springs) to really make it suit your riding.

I am mostly considering a new 2012 VFR1200F. Id rather get the newest bike available and the idea of ABS and TC is nice. My local dealer has a blue 6spd that has been discounted about $2100. I wont be able to get it until my wife gets her new car first so I have to wait until the middle of november. So I have some time to research and decide. I was thinking about renting a goldwing from a local bay area place and riding 2up with the daughter that is interested to see if she really likes riding in back first. If she doesnt like it at all that will simplify my decision by lot and it will be another cbr600 for me.

The 6th Gen is the best all-around bike I have ever owned. It is great at sport-touring. I just returned from a 1500-mile trip - very comfy even on the 425-mile day. I wouldn't call it flickable, that's for sure, but it is fun on the backroads provided you keep the revs up.

Funny. I am thinking of buying a 748 or a 916 because one motorcycle, no matter how versatile, is never enough. ( I keep forgetting that I also own a VF750F, but that bike is really a museum piece rather than a daily ride. )

Take this with the proverbial grain of salt...Don't buy a bike based on someone else's preferences. You're the one that's realistically going to spend the most time on it.

Of course, everyone's situation is different.

I'm happy with the V12, now. I'd buy it again. That said, I might be on a different bike if I would have been a little more "selfish". The CBR600 would be a top contender.

It makes no sense to buy a sport touring bike (even if the emphasis is on "sport", like the VFR1200) if you're not going to tour with it, or maybe once every 2-3 years. Hell, you can manage to put enough on your 600 if you're just going to spend a couple of nights away.

I wanted a few things (shaft drive, abs, etc.) so my "have to have" list really shortened the selection of bikes available for me.

The first time I saw the V12, I thought I would never spend that kind of money on a Honda. Turns out, I didn't have to.

For what I can see from your comments, and as long you don't mind pay more for the 2012 you can't go wrong with this bike, scratch the traction control and you can get a great deal for a 2010 ( under $10.000) in the U.S. The vfr isn't a cbr 600 but a good alternative to combine the good points of both bikes would be a Kawasaki ninja 1000, Good luck.

I just put on a set of new tires on my '07 vfr800 and I've never been more pleased with the bike. It just rolls into corners and has plenty of power for the type of riding you have described. The need/desire for more power and torque is something that's very understandable hence my Bking which is 100% overkill and a blast to ride. I like both machines so much I can't see giving one up. For what you've described I agree with others here that the vfr1200 would make an excellent choice, torque, v-four goodness, fuss free shaft, good brakes, handling etc etc.

Thanks everybody for chiming in and giving me the advice. I got the daughter outfitted and just need to go for a ride on a rental first. Then see how she likes it, then if all goes well I will prob take the plunge on a 2012 VFR1200F.

• Member Contributer

One of the things I think you will like most on the VFR1200 is the shaft drive over the 6th gen's chain drive. Less maint. and mess while out on a trip.

Mark

My favorite bike out of 20+. Great bike. You won't be disappointed. Feels lighter underway. All day comfort. Plenty of power, but never overpowering. Stops better than anything other than my track bike (Ducati 800SS w/Brembo mst cylinder and aggressive pads). I love the bike. Saddlebags are a must. Ride safe.

Mark

I want to thank everyone for the great comments. My wifes car is only 2 weeks away so I will get my bike after that arrives and she is happy.

On another note, I was wondering is it possible to remove all the painted plastic parts and get them repainted? I know the wheel fairing and the side fairings are removable, I was wondering about the little plastic piece under the screen and if the sides of the gas tank come off easy too?

While I do like the blue, its not really my favorite color, I wish we had the Euro color choices. Black, white, titanium?

Everything can be removed. Get a service manual and read and think for a while. Take your time the first few times and don't try to force anything. Look for the howto posts. They're great.

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents..

I bought a 12' Manual Clutch in June, put a Pipe and Power Commander on it in July, rode it to Monteray and back from Vegas for the GP, and havent looked back since. Its my 3rd VFR, I have had an 83, 96, and this one. To me its the best motorcycle I have had to date. I thought my 86' FJ1200 was a sweet bike, this is similiar but up to 2012 standards. Is the ABS and Traction necessary? Dunno, so far they both are pretty transparent. Is it a little heavy, maybe, but it hides its weight well, and I'm a little heavy (220) myself, so we fit. Its a little larger when im sitting on it, but I'm 6'2', so I need a little more room. If I was any smaller it would be a little large. Was it a little expensive, nope, 15k out the door. I have run it down the 1/4 mile, had a few more than a half a dozen 600 mile days on it and its is the best bike I have owned. Its not a track bike, but I would have no problem with it at the track. I made monkeys out a few guys on RR's and GSXR's at the 1/4 mile track in August. Refined, fsat as i care it to be, amazing finish, and it gets alot of looks and compliments. Its an adult motorcycle, not perfect, but I love it.

post-25378-0-41792000-1352241306.jpg

thanks D of 7. Im 5'11" and 147 pounds. And my daughter is only around 90 pounds and 5 feet tall so far, but still growing. Im sure we will have enough space on the bike I think. How do you like the Blue so far? I have all three bags already the side ones in blue and the top case is red but being painted to match tomorrow.

ive had everything!the bike i have at the moment is the 1200 and its unbelievable.....dont let others form your opinion,take one out if you can.i had a 07 rwb 800 before this and its way different....great power unbelievable brakes,pretty decent seat.it just gets better everytime i ride it....get one and you will be happy for a long time.its to bad you missed out on all the rebates on 10 models...i got mine for a steal!

Seems like all you guys with the 1200 love it. I've never ridden one, but would have thought it a bit unwieldy for the track though - however, I know someone will prove me wrong. I'd suggest you get your 1200 for touring/2-up stuff and then (if you want to stick with Honda V4 power) splash out relatively little on a 93-97 model for the track. I've ridden mine around Oulton Park and, though not the quickest or quickest steering bike on the track, I had fun on it. Or, probably better, get a cheap, steel-framed CBR600 for playing on.

• Member Contributer

The Blue is gorgous, I had a Blue FZ1, and it matched my Kagiyama Shoei.....it was karma that the 2012s were blue, so I had to get it. Right now I'm planning a spring ride to the East Coast. We will see how she goes....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived