New To Me 1987 750VFR

Guest Youngteam

Guest Youngteam

Hey guys,

I just bought a 1987 750VFR from an original owner with 47,XXX miles on it. The guy I purchased it from kept it in great shape but for the most part didn't ride it for the last 12 years but did maintain the bike through regular maintenance and "sentimental" rides once every few months. The bike rides great and there are no strange noises (as far as I can tell--first motorcycle for me) but it takes a few tries to start it up (even with the choke open and even after just 10 minutes of sitting after just riding it for 20+ minutes) and the constant starts drain my battery (the battery is a cheaper one but only weeks old). I turn and turn over the engine but it just doesn't catch--usually on the third or forth time it will but it also has just magically started first try a few times.\

I know I'm not flooding the engine, my gas lines have been recently replaced and I flushed the tank myself. I'm changing all the spark plugs and wires, oil, and air filter but is there anything else I can do? I'm a poor graduate student and was wondering what is the cheapest, most time-efficient way to diagnose and solve the problem. I've restored two 60's mustangs so I am technically inclined and have the tools but motorcycles are a new challenge for me.

post-25741-0-22052900-1345398222.jpg

Hi and welcome to VFRD!

Great score on the 87!!!

I'm guessing that some of the jets or air passages in one or all the carbs are clogged from old fuel no matter how often it was run. If the fuel wasn't changed on a regular basis even with stabilizer it will eventually deteriorate.

I suggest you add some strong fuel cleaner to the tank like Sea Foam and run it.

Also check tank vent lines for a pinched line that could cause starvation issues.

BR

Great buy! I had one and reget I sold it, even my current 5th gen is also cool.

As Baileyrock suggest, its proberly the carbs that needs some love to get it going.

Enjoy it!

• Member Contributer

Hi and welcome to VFRD!

Great score on the 87!!!

I'm guessing that some of the jets or air passages in one or all the carbs are clogged from old fuel no matter how often it was run. If the fuel wasn't changed on a regular basis even with stabilizer it will eventually deteriorate.

I suggest you add some strong fuel cleaner to the tank like Sea Foam and run it.

Also check tank vent lines for a pinched line that could cause starvation issues.

BR

I agree with BR. My wife's Magna sat for most of it's life. When we picked it up you could tell the carbs were pretty dirty, sluggish and hard to start. Put it on a Seafoam diet for the first few thousand miles we owned it. Now she runs like the screamer she was made to be. Try putting some seafoam in at every fill up and ride it. You will be surprised at what a difference it will make and could save you from having to pull the carbs. Even with all of my bikes running like they should, I run seafoam every few tanks or so just to help keep the fuel system clean and try to cut down on carbon build up on the top end. Did I say I like the easy fixes....... :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

seafoam really guys????????????? you need to take the float bowls off and clean all jets out and you may need a carb sync i know the carb syncs do wonders even without a valve adjustment-- that may also be need---- love the bike looks like a keeper-dig the wheels too!! yoshi exhaust good find !!- also sometimes those fuel pumps act funny-- don't worry about that school stuff its all a lie and no jobs --fix your bike enjoy life-- just my 2 cents

If it has square gauges it's a 700. Round gauges and it's a 750.

Unless it was pieced together from bits of different bikes.......

Here's my long sold 750 (snif):

86leftfront.jpg

the f1 700 has round gauges the white f2 has the square

• 2 weeks later...

He might get lucky with Seafoam. I had an xv535 that would spit and sputter and I went with a heavy dose of Seafoam and high test gas and it cleared right up. But you are probably have to pull the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning

• Member Contributer

If it runs okay when you get it started, then try the seafoam for a bit. If it still is hard to start, you're going to have to clean the jets. The thing is if they don't get cleaned out well enough, they will clog right back up in a week or two of sitting.

well guys so far the seafoam thing seems to work in my bike--???!! i am surprised-- time to put a few tanks through it and see what happens----

WELCOME and as far as the not starting when hot problem, check the plugs (DPR8EA-9) make sure they have right heat range and gap.

see this is why i love coming to this site-- boom right outa the book-- exact plug --

Archived