Stebel install question

Jordan

I bought a stebel a few years ago, but I never got around to installing it. Now that I'm finally getting around to doing some long needed installations.

As far as the wiring goes...I feel like I've got way too many wires going everywhere. So from the horn button, there are two wires. One wires will go to the relay (terminal 86) and act as the switch. The other gets grounded. The red wire with the fuse goes from the battery to terminal 30 on the relay. Terminal 85 goes to a wire that gets grounded...and terminal 87 goes to the stebel, with an additional wire grounding the stebel. Is this correct?

• Member Contributer

I am in the middle of a horn relay wire up myself. --- Relay connections ---- Stock horn wires go to 85 and 86. -- fused positive wire goes from the battery to terminal 30. Ground from the bike frame or direct to battery ground if you want - goes to horn lead. And finally, Terminal 87 goes from there to the other horn lead.

If you google - horn relay wiring hook up, there's a hundred or so, sketches of the hookup.

Check this one..........

horncircuitJP.jpg

• Member Contributer

so why is it not working????

Cant say I know what's going on, but verify that the horn works at all by doing the add a couple leads and bypass every thing and check it direct on the battery.

From the stupid question file - did you have the key on?

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem stems from the factory recall I had done in 2010. Before the factory fix, I could run accessories like heated grips and a phone charger. After the fix, the bike ran fine, but none of the accessories worked. For example: I had these heated grips http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/83/28785/DPITEM/Street-Bike-Grips-Show-Chrome-Heated-Grips.aspx

They worked great before the recall, but after, I would only get the light on the power knob to turn on, but I could never get enough power to the grips to heat anything up.

I also had a powerlet adapter which worked great, but post recall, i couldn't even charge my phone!

Im not an electrical master, but I consider myself competent enough to install this correctly. It's really frustrating that it wont work.

• Member Contributer

Another stupid question -- do you have a fuse installed?

- I just got done on mine and did the power up and hit the horn button and got clicky, clicky of the relay. Checked everything (I thought) and back to clicky, clicky. Then checked the fuse box and - shit, forgot to put in a fuse. -- Horn barks good now.

• Member Contributer

Glad you found the issue. Where did you mount that big boy. I've had a Stebel laying on my bench waiting to be installed for a couple months now. Every time I start to get serious I come up short on a place to mount it. I'd be interested in your set up . Thx! Ernie

I mounted it behind the left fairing, near te front. I used a very thin metal bracket to hold it into place...held by the mounting screw near the front left of the tank. I'll post pictures when it's all finished.

• Member Contributer

I mounted it behind the left fairing, near te front. I used a very thin metal bracket to hold it into place...held by the mounting screw near the front left of the tank. I'll post pictures when it's all finished.

My Banshee Horn video (same horn as the Stebel I think) has a good pic of this.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Kaldek and Jordan.

I have Banshee kit and have been half-hearted at finding a good mount. This helps a lot. I'll post up some pics when I get it done.Too bad I just had the tank and air box out for the PAIR valve block off plate install. Had I only noticed how accessible the horn was while I was in there. Oh well. Good practice. Ernie

• Member Contributer

i wanna add a police speaker megaphone to mine..

YOU!! IN THE GREEN PRYUS>> STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!!

DUMB BLONDE IN THE RED CHEVY....... PUT THE PHONE DOWN!!!! :angry:

but apparently this is against the law.. hmm.. just wondering if i tell the judge i had no clue it was on..as i am deaf :goofy:

Thats exactly where I placed my stebel. It was the only place I could mount the horn without a lot of modification. The right side of the bike is stuffed with the VFRness.

• Member Contributer

i wanna add a police speaker megaphone to mine..

YOU!! IN THE GREEN PRYUS>> STAY IN YOUR LANE!!!!

DUMB BLONDE IN THE RED CHEVY....... PUT THE PHONE DOWN!!!! :angry:

but apparently this is against the law.. hmm.. just wondering if i tell the judge i had no clue it was on..as i am deaf :goofy:

I like this idea - But I'd probably get arrested for verbal abuse .

• 5 months later...

Kal your video there cuts out before finishing the full explanation... :wacko:

Archived