Combined brakes and slow speed maneuvers... Tips?

Racer944

Hi Everyone;

I am still relatively new to bikes coming back into it after 25 years away. Got back into it three years ago and have been enjoying it immensely. This year I exchanged my Kawasaki Ninja 650R for a 2010 VFR1200 and I am in the process of getting used to the new bike.

One area I am having some issues with is slow speed maneuvers... While I was very confident of my abilities on my lighter Ninja, I am not confident on the VFR at all. I am trying to figure out what is causing me these issues. Is it just the weight and size increase of the new bike or is it the combined braking system throwing me off with the front braking part slowing me down more than I am used too? In slow speed drills I feather the clutch and use the back brake exclusively in these situations, so I am wondering if that's contributing to my issues. Any tips for slow speed work with this bike? Is it pretty much the same as any other bike or....?

I doesn't help my confidence that I have recently dropped it once after botching a U-turn (not 100% sure if I used too much back brake or not enough speed, or....), Basically I got my foot down but the bike had gone over just a bit too far for me to hold it so it went down on its side in a parking lot... Obviously I did scratch up my cowls and broke the gear pedal... but my confidence and pride took the biggest hit...

Any tips/advice is appreciated...

Cheers;

Eric

A lot of it is 'eyes'. Where you look is where you'll go. Doing a u-turn means looking to the exit of the turn as you get started. Also a light tough on the brakes helps.

You can still use feathering of the clutch and the rear brake - just be a lot lighter on the brake so you don't engage the front too much. The system on our bikes works well even at low speeds.

Practise makes perfect. :)

• Member Contributer

I've just completed a Hopp Rider Machine Skills Day on my CBS '98 VFR. Although the staff said they were unsure just how the CBS would affect the slow speed manoeuvring, it was actually quite easy. 180 degree turns using full lock using clutch, rear brake pedal only and ~3k rpm, controlling the speed with the brake made for very controllable slow speed turns. The slalom course was pretty good too, again using the same combination as above worked a treat and I felt like one of the Japanese cops on Youtube doing their mad slalom racing (probably much, much slower though).

No idea if this would transfer to a 1200 but I see no reason why not.

Everything I can think of has already been said, except what to do with your "Body position". It's the same as riding around a turn on the dirt, which is to say, keep your body straight up with the ground.

Also you don't need a lot of correctional steering in-put.

But as said keep your "head" (not just your eyes) turned into the direction of the turn.

• Member Contributer

I haven't ridden in a few years and it will likely be a few months before I am ready to ride again as I am still working on my 4th gen project bike. However I do plan to head to a MSF location and take a returning rider course before I log too many hours after getting her running. I took the new rider class several years ago before I got my license.

Check out the link for the courses they offer.

http://msf-usa.org/i...SF RiderCourses

Edit - I just read that they also offer an active passenger as an add on to one of the experienced rider courses for $25. I may take the wifey out to learn to be a good passenger.

• Member Contributer

I'd also suggest another MSF course. The Expirenced Rider Course, or Basis Rider Course 2 is a good class for anyone getting on a new-to-them bike. I do the U-turn drill on my '05 VFR without any issues. I really think it's something you'll have to take some time to get use to. I'd also suggest smooth application of the rear brake, as it seems with mine, the more jerky I am with the rear brake, the more the front end wants to get weird on me. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Everything I can think of has already been said, except what to do with your "Body position". It's the same as riding around a turn on the dirt, which is to say, keep your body straight up with the ground.

Also you don't need a lot of correctional steering in-put.

But as said keep your "head" (not just your eyes) turned into the direction of the turn.

+1 On U- turns, I typically use a dirt bike positon to balance the bike. Your going too slow to do the lean into the turn style. Also become less dependant on the clutch. I like to feather the rear brake, and add just a touch of throttle to keep the chain taught, and control speed. So its a balance of brake and throttle. --- Control, Speed, and Balance are the focus. -- Then of course, be ready to pull in the clutch if needed.

I don't use the brakes during the turns, only one time I felt out of control is during a tight turn on 1/2 to 3/4 inch rocks that I used to ride my Harley on all the time without issues. I think the higher center of gravity maybe is what almost put me in the rocks.

• Member Contributer

I've always used the rear brake on tight u-turns. Never even gave the linked brakes a thought when doing this. Seems as easy and seamless as it was on my other bikes without linked brakes. it may have to do with the fact that I do this evry day on the ride home. I pull up to the mail box and have to do the tight u-turn to head back to the driveway.

• Member Contributer

Rear brake (even though it is linked) with a little throttle and feathering the clutch seems to make the bike want to stand up a little. The few times I've come close to dumping it over in a tight turn was using the front brake. It could be just my perception, but I've heard the guys teaching the MSF course say the same thing.

Coupled with good head and riding position.... :fing02:

:+1: on what others have said, but I find that I have to drag the rear brake a little bit on the DCT. With the electronic throttle and its odd responses, things can get weird at very slight throttle openings when the clutch doesn't know when to engage or let go. I spent quite a bit of time practicing in an empty parking lot. Full-lock is especially tough to the right, when your wrist is right down by the tank. As many others have said, turn your head and look where you want to go. Keep your head up as well. But more than anything: practice practice practice. Unlike high-speed braking when a deer jumps in front of you mid-corner, this is one you can practice for hours until you feel comfortable, then go take a course to practice in front of your peers. Comfort = confidence. Go get 'em.

Thanks for the advice and the tips guys... So its not likely the linked brakes, causing me issues so as I suspected its my head that I need to work on.

I have taken the MSF experienced rider course (mid last year) and was very confident doing slow speed manoevers... until this happened with the new bike. I think in the end it was likely a combination of not being fully comfortable with the throttle response yet, and perhaps not having my full concentration on the exercise I was trying to practice and taking it too lightly with the new bike...

At least the cowls are relatively cheap to replace (under $300.00)... but I will not do so for a few more months to remind me to practice, practice...!

As a side bar on this experience, I can say that this is a beast to pickup solo... even using the "Goldwing" technique, its hard to find a forward handhold, and the bike lays much flatter on the ground than a typical cruisier bike... Good thing I had help...

Cheers;

Eric

Archived