PR2 question

DT1

First of all, hello, this is my first post here. I've been lurking for a couple of years and have always found the answers to my questions. Last August I bought an '07 VFR; it had ~700 miles at that time. The bike is currently at 4K miles and the OE Metzler ME Z4's are about done. I could stretch the miles on them, but with the afternoon clouds rolling in everyday, I'll be pushing my luck if I encounter a rainstorm.

After researching, I have decided to pick-up some PR2's. My question is: for those of you running PR2's, are you using the standard version or the "B" version and what is your normal configuration (solo/2-up, loaded/empty)? I'd like to hear some actual experiences and versus reading the manufacturer's hype.

My weekday commuting is with the luggage semi-loaded; my weekend miles are typically 2-up, but this year I plan to get into the twisties more solo w/o the luggage.

TIA

Welcome,

I'm 250 lbs and always carry about 5/8 lb. tankbag & a 15 lb. tailbag(270/5 lb's). And never ride two up.

I buy PR2's and get what is the cheapest and haven't had a problem not buying the b's.

I'm getting 8k miles For&aft.

• Member Contributer

210 pounds, solo, no luggage, mostly highway. Have been buying PP/PR2 combos and never had a "B" version. Get 4k-8k depending on which tire.

You will be so happy to get rid of those Metzelers, trust me. By now they are like round charcoal briquets. Almost any new rubber you get is going to blow your mind! :tour:

• Member Contributer

Hello,

I'm 210 lbs and solo riding never ride two because my wife refused to! but my bike is 600 lbs so add up 810 lbs. I got tail bag for storing bike cover, tire repair kit, and disc lock alarm total about 15 lbs. I just replaced my first set of tire at 7500 miles. Now I got 9500 miles. I am not sure if I have standard or "B" version but I bought it because it was close-out items. I paid about $290 for both front and rear. Yesterday I ran over something and my rear tire went flat. I have it flat beded home and patch it and ride it today. I do mostly commute to and from work 85 miles round trip weekday and no ride weekend because I have enough riding!!! I love this tires. They are far better than my original one that come with the bike. Please see picture at 2k miles it still looking good...

D1BB254F.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm no expert. But I'm not using the B version. I'm about 180 solo and no luggage other than a small tail bag. I also bought a low mileage '06 with OEM tires on it. I didn't know how bad they were until I swapped them. After reading posts here I swapped at 4500 miles. WOW! the bike handled so much better. You will wonder why you waited. Ernie

• Member Contributer

Hello DT1, now you stepped out of the shadows, we need a picture of your bike :tour:

Standard version here

I think all the ones Ive ran are the original, if your performance riding , Id stick to the original, I ride solo 200 + lb.

Ive run about a dosen of the proad 2 rears, its not my favorite tire, but the life it offers for the traction level it provides, nothing on the market lives up to the level of life, it litterally offers more than 20 to 40% over every sport tour on the market in life, generally that means a serious loss of traction, but the road 2 actually provides very decent traction levels.

Ive never ran the front road 2, I dont run sport tours on the front

• Member Contributer

My bike had Pilot Roads on it when I bought it used. I have no idea as to the miles on them up until that time. I ran them another 4,000 miles and replaced them with Pilot Road 2s.

I ran those 12,000 miles and just replaced them with another set of PR2s. Rear was just at the wearbars, front could probably have been run another couple thousand miles. I decided to replace both so I didn't have to worry about wear on the front.

Other than some slight cupping on one side around the 7,000 mile mark that seemed to mysteriously correct itself, they have been great.

Not the "B" series.

Always solo, 200 lb. rider, no luggage. Mostly 50 to 90 speeds with a rare trip into the triple digits. (Just to make sure the Vtech is still functioning.)

Tires checked religiously and maintained at 36 front, 42 rear.

I thinkyou will love them.

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

I am running a set of thePR2CT-B's.

The are not as sticky as the regular ones. The mileage is better. Currently, just over 4000, and by this point I would have worn out a set of PR2CT's. I am sure that I have another thousand miles in the B's.

I weigh around 200lbs, with gear, and always carry luggage.

The B's are more expensive. Have not decided to stay with them or switch back to the regular tire.

Mac

Thanks for the help, PR2's have been ordered. I should have them on the bike by Tuesday.

Right now, the only photos I have were taken with my phone; therefore, the quality is marginal:

IMG_0698.jpg

I'll get some real photos tomorrow after I get the PC V installed.

I've run them for three sets - 205 lb rider, 1/2 and 1/2 solo and 2-up and always with full luggage (loaded) and still get about 14,000-18,000 kilometres per set. They are great tires. No idea which version of the tires I have had.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd give a quick update... I have put ~500 miles on the PR2's at this point, about 400 solo with no luggage, and 100 with a passenger, no luggage. These tires are a significant improvement in every way! The feel of the road is great. THe traction is much better. With the OE tires, I had to set the suspension softer that I would have preferred to get good traction and have the bike feel like is was sticking to the road in the curves. With the improved traction, I have been able to set the suspension firmer. The PR2's are a definite improvement; thanks for the advice!

When my vfr was new, it rained everday the first week, I was spinning the tires at 50 mph under acceleration on the way to work with z4's. Atleast the z4 does spin straight. I had a Avon, that would break out sideways.

The road 2 will get every bit of the milege of the z4 , plus its a whole different level of performance, Its the differnce between a candybar for dinner, and a full course Steak dinner.

Archived