Automotive equivilants for head light bulbs?

The mailman

• Member Contributer

Has anybody tried to replace their stock headlight bulbs with standard automotive bulbs. I've got a '97 that finally blew it's first bulb in 16 years. I just want to replace the OEM 12V 45/45W with a similar bulb. The local Honda shop wants $35 for a standard replacement and $46 each if I were to bump up to the high powered bulbs. I'm not into the idea of spending almost $100 on lights right now.

• Member Contributer

I don't know about the 4th gen but you can make H4's fit the 5th gen by bending or removing one of the locating tabs.

-Jake

• Member Contributer

A quick glance at the microfiche for your bike suggests they're H4s (aka 9003), but just take the bulb to the auto parts store and match it up.

*edit* whoops. stepped on my crank with this one. read here: http://www.vfrdiscus...lb-replacement/ (last couple posts). i was kinda right in that you'll likely end up using an H4 bulb.

You can save a couple bucks ordering your bulb online (about $25/ea shipped). I also found this place when I googled your OEM PN. Wattage isn't right, but might be worth the risk at this price:

http://www.mfgsupply...source=googleps

Mike

• Member Contributer

I also bought a set of machined ring adapters off eBay for less than $10 that allowed the use of H4 bulbs. That was for a 5th gen too...

Get some H-4 bulbs at your local auto parts store, 55/60Watt

Bend the two lower tabs back 90 degrees with a pair of pliers and install.

If you wish, you can work the two lower tabs back and forth and break them off clean with the O.D. of the base, and just rely on the upper tab for alignment.

The spring keeper holds the bulb in place without the need for any fancy adaptors, it's gotten me by for 12 years now.

Everyone is correct. most just cut the tab off an H4, but walmart carriers Ge Bulbs for 7 bucks a peice, cant beat that.

BY the way, I've had ge motorycle walmart bulbs in my bike for 70,000 miles, they refuse to quit. I went through about 3 or 4(failed) sets prior to the Ge's.

• Member Contributer

No, cut off all three of the tabs and shove the damn things in there using RTV sealant (black, of course). Ignore anyone that tries to tell you that the tabs are there for any reason other than to make the bulbs look "purposeful". Honda is obviously trying to bolster the profitability of its powersports division on selling overpriced, underperforming H4 rip-off bulbs. Don't let them get away with it! Show those ignorant shmucks that you don't need a bloody engineering degree to change a lightbulb!

(Oh, and don't ride at night.)

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My bulbs on a 91 vfr are soldered to the brackets. I just heated the brackets with a propane torch and the bulbs easily fall out .So i was able to use the automotive bulbs in the honda brackets.

make use you get the bulbs filament oriented correctly.That is with it filament faceing like the honda bulb.

• Member Contributer

Bike was new to me and I read alignment was compromised with the tabs removed, so I bought these http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycle/17120.html $10 insurance.

Bought 2 of these bulbs http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AM8BN6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

• Member Contributer

Did not know this but there are are 4 different tabed bulbs that are H4 bulbs. One of them has only one tab that you have bend up to get it to fit into the socket. No problem with any of them- the spring keeper keeps all of them secure in the socket and it is easy to bend the spring clip to any amount of force needed to keep the bulb secure. Buy 40 bucks worth of gas and buy a $5 bulb anywhere. No worries .

• Member Contributer

I will bring some H4 bulbs over to TMAC so I can finally see the difference EU vs USA.... :tour:

Archived