Need to buy brake pads, want opinion

afpierce489

So, I need to buy some new brake pads. This is the first time, so I would like opinions. Does it really matter or are they all about the same? I'm looking around and there doesn't seem to be much difference. I have the stock calipers. I just figured that I'm going to have the wheel off anyway to get new tires, so, since I'm close to the wear marks, I'd change out the pads. So, any suggestions would be helpful. Also, should I get them online, at a dealership, or should I run down to the local NAPA? Thanks for the help

Adam

Many on here like the EBC brand. I choose the Honda parts for my 6th Gen. (I don't know much about he particulars of the earlier bikes) My local dealer will match online prices, they are HH rated and I liked the fact that the 3 sets were tailored for my application, shims, etc... I don't know how well NAPA stocks for motorcycles. The Honda parts are available at dealers both local and online. The EBC, Galfer, etc... online. I think Cycle Gear(2 in CT, Manchester and Orange) stocks most Galfer pads. I used those on my Kawasaki and liked them fine.

Just put them on order. Thank you for all of your help. First time doing all this maintenance. Took the tires off because I'm getting new rubber. So, I decided to do the brakes too. Front tire was at the wear marks, and brake pads didn't look too good. Hey, can't complain, 2 riding seasons and 10500 miles on a set of BT-016's. I know what's going through your minds, no, I don't ride hard. I'm the 80% touring/20% sport kinda rider. Haven't had the chance this season to ride. But hey, about 1 more week, then fresh shoes and new brakes and I'll be back on the road. Can't wait. Thanks again for the advice.

Adam

• Member Contributer

No No No you got it all wrong. You are supposed to have a few drinks and cover yourself in lubricant not the wheel axle.

Rollin

Just thought of another question. When I put the tires back on, do I put any sort of lubricant on the axle? I was looking in the manual and it doesn't say anything about lubrication.

I always put a SUPER THIN coating of grease on the axle (front or rear on any bike), there have been people who do not, and guess who is hammering a frozen axle out a few years down the road?

But the trick is to use it VERY SPARINGLY! And spread it with your hands, until there is almost nothing there.

Just thought of another question. When I put the tires back on, do I put any sort of lubricant on the axle? I was looking in the manual and it doesn't say anything about lubrication.

I always put a SUPER THIN coating of grease on the axle (front or rear on any bike), there have been people who do not, and guess who is hammering a frozen axle out a few years down the road?

But the trick is to use it VERY SPARINGLY! And spread it with your hands, until there is almost nothing there.

I've been using anti-seize on mine ?????? OK ?

Yeah, greasing the axle is a must do, I like to use a thin coat of white lithium grease. This ensures that it slides out nice and smooth every time you take it out. Why would anyone advise NOT to use lube on the axle? Dry axles are hard on bearing seals, and like mentioned above, they will seize on you and give you a helluva time getting them out. Front axles don't usually get as bad as rears, but still.

When you replace the front pads take some time out to clean the pistons off on each side. I just had a sticky piston claim my front left rotor due to the gunk built up on them.

Lots of good tips in here: HH pads rule, grease your axle but super thin only, Clean the crap out of your calipers and off the pistons. And I'll add one more, Have you done the brake fluid recently? Its a slight hassle on a VFR but if its been a while, why not do it while its all apart anyway.

Thank you very much for all the advice. PhotoOp, I changed the brake fluids about 2 years ago. It should still be good as long as it's not milky, correct? I know the level will change when I put the new pads in, so I may have to siphon some out. Any other suggestions while I've got the wheels off? This was my first time taking the wheels off and I was surprised how easy it was. I was being pretty methodical so it took me about an hour for both wheels. This was including figuring out how to keep the front end up. So, if anyone else has any tips, let me know.

Adam

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

This has been a great thread, tonight I swapped my front wheel to find out from front pads are just about shot. I pulled the front wheel off and noticed that the pads are extremely thin. I am putting the wheel back on anyway and will order pads tomorrow and do them within the next few weeks. Just wish I had enough money to do the rotors with something fancy, and some better than stock lines.

• Member Contributer

great stuff here. i used to change my brake/clutch fluid yearly but do it (front only) each oil change now (thanks Jeremy).

milky is not the trigger, if it looks like maple syrup instead of clear it needs to be changed.

Brake fluid color guide!:

• Clear = OK
  • American Beer = Change this year
  • Molson Canadian = Change this month
  • Harp = Change this week
  • Smithwick's = Change today
  • Guinness = Change yesterday

A great website I used to follow religiously:

Their FAQ is amazing.

http://faq.ninja250....he_brake_fluid?

Nice dolphins BTW

• Member Contributer

its kinda between American beer and Molson. I found the EBC HH pads onsale at Bike Bandit for 31.00 a set,so I bought 3 sets as when I changed the rear wheel this morning those are pretty worn down as well. I am getting them Mon/Tues next week and will change the pads first, then next weekend will flush the lines, I will just have to do some searching on that first.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Brake fluid color guide!:

• Clear = OK
  • American Beer = Change this year
  • Molson Canadian = Change this month
  • Harp = Change this week
  • Smithwick's = Change today
  • Guinness = Change yesterday

A great website I used to follow religiously:

Their FAQ is amazing.

http://faq.ninja250....he_brake_fluid?

Nice dolphins BTW

Thats pretty funny, but this made me think. I just had my fluid changed and it is already starting to turn back to the American Beer color. What could cause that?

• Member Contributer

has it rained where you live?

the dark color can be likened to rust.

of course it is not rust but brake fluid sucks the moisture from its surroundings and that moisture boils at about half the temperature of dot 4 fluid.

that "steam" can be compressed unlike the fluid and that is what gives a spongy lever or pedal. sunlight also breaks down brake fluid so if you

have a plastic resevior that will also help prematurely age brake fluid.

Archived