Differences Between 4th and 5th Gens.

indianagenius

I've owned two 4th Gens and just recently purchased a 1999 5th Gen. I think it was Dutchy that asked that I compare and contrast. So, I'll give it a shot. I'll do a Top Ten with #1 being the most significant difference.

10. The Gen 4 is easier to put on the centerstand due to a superior handgrip on the rear.

9. The Gen 5 is easier for removing side panels for maintenance.

8. The Gen 5 has a better rear cowl. It is easier to put on and take off without breaking tabs.

7. The Gen 4 has a better looking tach. and speedo. The font for the numbers on the Gen 5 is goofy.

6. The Gen 5 LCD display rocks. Outdoor temp., engine temp., clock....awesome.

5. The Gen 5 rear panel doesn't tend to crack and is just better looking.

4. The Gen 5 has a 180 rear tire...nice.

3. The Gen 5 is fuel injected....ooooooh.

2. The Gen 5 is geared a bit higher. I find myself shifting less and interstate cruising is less buzzy.

1. The Gen 5 makes a bit more power. It is noticeable and I like it.

What is really great about both bikes = the V4 growl and gear-driven cams.

I like both bikes, but the Gen 5 is truly an upgrade. Ideally, I'd have one of each.

You may be wondering what happened to my two Gen 4's. Both were totalled. Broke a clavicle in the first crash and no injuries in the second one. Wear your gear. Stuff happens...

IG

• Member Contributer

Interesting that the linked brakes did not make your list. I guess it must really be that transparent!

Ron

Interesting that the linked brakes did not make your list. I guess it must really be that transparent!

Ron

No, I really haven't noticed a huge difference regarding the linked brakes, but then I haven't really stood on the rear brake. This is when it would be heavily noticed.

• Member Contributer

I've owned two 4th Gens and just recently purchased a 1999 5th Gen. I think it was Dutchy that asked that I compare and contrast. So, I'll give it a shot. I'll do a Top Ten with #1 being the most significant difference.

10. The Gen 4 is easier to put on the centerstand due to a superior handgrip on the rear.

9. The Gen 5 is easier for removing side panels for maintenance.

8. The Gen 5 has a better rear cowl. It is easier to put on and take off without breaking tabs.

7. The Gen 4 has a better looking tach. and speedo. The font for the numbers on the Gen 5 is goofy.

6. The Gen 5 LCD display rocks. Outdoor temp., engine temp., clock....awesome.

5. The Gen 5 rear panel doesn't tend to crack and is just better looking.

4. The Gen 5 has a 180 rear tire...nice.

3. The Gen 5 is fuel injected....ooooooh.

2. The Gen 5 is geared a bit higher. I find myself shifting less and interstate cruising is less buzzy.

1. The Gen 5 makes a bit more power. It is noticeable and I like it.

What is really great about both bikes = the V4 growl and gear-driven cams.

I like both bikes, but the Gen 5 is truly an upgrade. Ideally, I'd have one of each.

You may be wondering what happened to my two Gen 4's. Both were totalled. Broke a clavicle in the first crash and no injuries in the second one. Wear your gear. Stuff happens...

IG

I had a 4th gen for about 7 years (I'm guessing) and I have owned my current 5th gen 7 years. On your 10, 9 , 8 - I really didnt notice much difference, but I should add I never use the rear cowl. 7 & 6 -- -I do like the 4th gen analog intruments better and the whole way the package is put together over the 5th gen. While both bikes fit finish are very good, I would say the 4th is just a tick better. Then again, I think the 5th looks more modern. 5 - I agree, I forgot that my 4th gen rear panel cracked. 4 Rear tire size for me is a wash. 3. Fuel injection is diffenately cool, but my 4ths carburation was sooo perfect, that the engine was butter smooth. Engine wise, the 4th is a longer stroke and it seemed to have more pull in the midrange. But that engine was slow reving (I had both the 4th and 5th together for awhile.) The shorter stroke 5th gen def has more power and quicker reving and seems to hint - abuse me. 2. Didnt notice differences in buzzy that much except the 5th right foot peg drove me nutz untill I fixed it.

Other stuff - The 4th is a special machine. It feels like a very personal ride. Compared to the 5th, dunno why, but it feels something like a 7/8th size of the 5th gen. Kinda goofy perception, because I took a tape measure back and forth between the two bikes, and ergonomics were near identical, except for the 4ths bars were a tick lower. The 4th seemed like a bike Ducati would build.

The 5th in comparision, it seemed like that Honda took all the best qualities of the 4th gen and previous VFRs, figured out how to amplify all that, and build it into the 5th gen. The soul of the VFR lives large in the 5th gen. The engine prods you into whacking the loud handle open, hit the corners and take in the geared cam glory. It didnt take me long after I rode one, to know I must buy one. I knew immediately that after all the mods I wanted to do were done, it too would be a special bike.

-Just throwing it out there - linked brakes? Didnt like them. Totally redid the brakes. But thats in another thread thats been beat to death.

The 5th in comparision, it seemed like that Honda took all the best qualities of the 4th gen and previous VFRs, figured out how to amplify all that, and build it into the 5th gen. .

That funny because it is exactly how I tried to explain the differences between a 5th and a 6th gen.

I got a set of custome gage faces done, but have yet to tear into the bike to get them installed

I totally hear ya, the LCD display is great, but the off font and the mismatched colors of the gages bothers the crap out of me

Everytime I look at the stock setup it just looks to me like Honda had a bunch of leftover parts from different bikes they wanted to use up

I REALLY NEED TO GET THESE INSTALLED...

gallery_1306_33900_6238688204b827dfa233fe.jpg

You left out the weight difference...

I consider the 5th Gen to have been a shift more towards the tourer side of the equation, but at the same time having some running gear improvements that meant it's sporting credentials remained decent.

That said, I'm starting to see that the 4th Gen seems relatively easy to slim and lighten further by trimming or removing some bits, while still keeping the bike faired.

Underneath all the weighty (but also durable) crap there's a surprisingly compact engine/chassis package.

I had a 96 which I totaled in 2000 so at the time I bought the yellow Y2K.

I currently have a 95, 96 and 2000 in the garage.

The linked brakes on the Y2K are amazing.

I like them almost as much as the BMW ABS system.

As for riding the twisties, the forth gens are far superior to the fifth gen.

My fifth gen can't lean over as much as the forths do.

I do like the fifth gen fuel injection.

As for the 180 rear, since 1998, I have always had a fifth gen rear wheel on my forth gens.

I wish the forth gen had a outside air temp guage.

I love the looks of the forth gen over the dated look of the fifth gen.

The fifth gen looks and feels like a bike big compared to the forth gen.

The red paint on the forth gen is just beautiful!!!

Archived