Thinking of going to naked on 4th gen

• Member Contributer

Single round head light with generic ears, and convert the gauge cluster to something else, instead of electronic go analog. What happens when the digital gauge cluster is unplugged? I can sell the good plastic I have to upgrade the suspension. I'm not sure what to do yet may go for these pieces:http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VFR7501994-97.htm the price is not too bad except you have to make your own head light tabs.

What have others used?

Chris

Oakland, Ca

• Member Contributer

Chris,

There was a former member who goes by StelvioOrBust who did a naked 4th gen. It would appear he has not been on VFRD in a couple of years - too bad.

Anyway, he kept the stock rear fairings, but he removed all of the front fairings. He kept the stock instruments & headlight, and added a different windscreen - cannot remember for sure, but I think it was from a CBR600F4i.

I thought that was the sharpest naked 4th gen I've seen.

Anyway, it would appear that his pix & his posts are gone. Too bad.

Good luck with it!

Ron

• Member Contributer

Having seen a bunch of nekkid VFRS, I must say that most don't look good.

of course, everything can be done given enough imagination and effort.

Should be a fun project.

Post pics.

• Member Contributer

I think ron_al is talking about this one. I saved the pic just in case I trashed mine some day and needed a "template". This is the only naked 4th gen I've ever liked,

post-581-0-30926900-1321408980.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think ron_al is talking about this one. I saved the pic just in case I trashed mine some day and needed a "template". This is the only naked 4th gen I've ever liked,

Thanks for the photo

I'm trying to see how he mounted the headlight...

I would keep the tail piece

Chris

I can sell the good plastic I have to upgrade the suspension.

A buddy has a 4th gen, and coincidentally, the only fairings he needs are the front pieces (tail is fine). While he is just now in the process of joining the forum, I figured I would ask for him and hopefully get to the front of the line... if you do decide to go naked, then he would probably be interested in your upper, mids, and belly pan fairings.

Any idea what you'd be asking for them? What's the condition of the panels?

• Member Contributer

Not sure I'm a big fan of that one. Looks like he just took all the plastic off except for the tail, slapped what I'm assuming is an F4i frontend, and forced a windscreen to fit on the stock stay. Maybe different mirrors, but those might be the condom mirrors still. The coil hasn't been moved out of the elements, and I'll assume the other coil and fusebox on the other side is exposed as well. I've seen much worse attempts, but there isn't anything to this.

• Member Contributer

I'm actually in the process of turning my '95 into a naked bike. Got a long ways to go yet, but I have a headlight from a Yamaha V-Star on there. I'm planning to cut down the stock gauge cluster just to a tach and a speedo. Some of the cleanup efforts include relocated coils, bypassed oil cooler (which is no longer on the bike), and relocated ignition key. A current status pic:

Naked1.jpg

• Member Contributer
Single round head light with generic ears, and convert the gauge cluster to something else, instead of electronic go analog. What happens when the digital gauge cluster is unplugged? I can sell the good plastic I have to upgrade the suspension. I'm not sure what to do yet may go for these pieces:http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VFR7501994-97.htm the price is not too bad except you have to make your own head light tabs. What have others used? Chris Oakland, Ca

You can unplug the gauge cluster, take it apart, throw it all together.... anything. Everything works fine without it.

You can simply plug in any analog rev or speedo counter you so wish, so long as they are roughly comparable.. just trace the sensor wires and theres your new input. Wiring diagrams come in handy there for colour comparison..

If you have good plastic front and rear would be a good idea to put in wool or sell! lol

Is seriously getting harder to get hold of good originals now!

Are you going for a sportier front end and a rear shock with more funds?

Will you be going cafe race style with clipons etc?

Your thinking of picking up a set of grp replacement bodywork from airtec? They do look good in their example. There are a few others that make replacements also.

To race?

To tour?

Saw a link for a nice stand alone vfr front fairing/nose cone made in grp on the other 'rc30 on a 4th gen' thread i think. Reasonably priced from France i think.

Its that front end nose which is the problem really.. not a lot looks factory.. Its a tough challenge.

Will you be remaking sub frames?

If going race fairings then does weight comes into it all?

You will be making all manner of tabs for this and that, dont let one for a light put you off....

If you read up on vfrd you should find that lots has already been done, so always glad to help you out if you find any stickys..

15+ years along the line and im still tinkering a 4th gen.....

Good luck!!

As already said- Its hard to make a naked 4th gen look as good as it rides! That's tough.

• Member Contributer

Isn't that the stock headlight on the stock mounting bracket?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any mounting brackets on the front of my bike fofr the headlight, The headlight mounts to the two upper farings with 4

fasteners, with no other mounting points on the bike itself except fasteners to attach the upper plastic to the mids.

• Member Contributer
Isn't that the stock headlight on the stock mounting bracket?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any mounting brackets on the front of my bike fofr the headlight, The headlight mounts to the two upper farings with 4 fasteners, with no other mounting points on the bike itself except fasteners to attach the upper plastic to the mids.

ops I do see where the round holes on the back of the headlight might fit on the front bracket, I must be missing some parts.

• Member Contributer
Single round head light with generic ears, and convert the gauge cluster to something else, instead of electronic go analog. What happens when the digital gauge cluster is unplugged? I can sell the good plastic I have to upgrade the suspension. I'm not sure what to do yet may go for these pieces:http://www.airtech-s...R7501994-97.htm the price is not too bad except you have to make your own head light tabs. What have others used? Chris Oakland, Ca

You can unplug the gauge cluster, take it apart, throw it all together.... anything. Everything works fine without it.

You can simply plug in any analog rev or speedo counter you so wish, so long as they are roughly comparable.. just trace the sensor wires and theres your new input. Wiring diagrams come in handy there for colour comparison..

If you have good plastic front and rear would be a good idea to put in wool or sell! lol

Is seriously getting harder to get hold of good originals now!

Are you going for a sportier front end and a rear shock with more funds?

Will you be going cafe race style with clipons etc?

Your thinking of picking up a set of grp replacement bodywork from airtec? They do look good in their example. There are a few others that make replacements also.

To race?

To tour?

Saw a link for a nice stand alone vfr front fairing/nose cone made in grp on the other 'rc30 on a 4th gen' thread i think. Reasonably priced from France i think.

Its that front end nose which is the problem really.. not a lot looks factory.. Its a tough challenge.

Will you be remaking sub frames?

If going race fairings then does weight comes into it all?

You will be making all manner of tabs for this and that, dont let one for a light put you off....

If you read up on vfrd you should find that lots has already been done, so always glad to help you out if you find any stickys..

15+ years along the line and im still tinkering a 4th gen.....

Good luck!!

As already said- Its hard to make a naked 4th gen look as good as it rides! That's tough.

OK

I just popped for the airtech upper and one piece lower, I will fab either dual front lights ala rc45 or single light like my old duc F1B.

I will get new innards for the front shocks for my weight (180#)and rebuild them as necessary, and maybe an Ohlins for the rear.

I don't like that boat anchor front light so that will go. With the airtech I can cut whatever holes I need for lights. Airtech farings are closer to street weight according to the rep I ordered from. I'm not a weight weenie per se. I will be a weekend warrior mostly, we have some great roads up here in Northern California.

The gauge cluster will go as well, any thoughts as to Koso vs Veypor? For now I will leave the rear subframe alone but I don't like the look of the ass end much either on stock 96's. An aluminum subframe and single seat will be next. For now I just got my front brake lever in the mail and I have zip tied the front headlight on and it's time for a little ride!

Chris

Oakland, Ca.

• Member Contributer

Maybe more along these lines?

Takin from BIKEXIF

Below the seat exhaust, the VFR would look great if done right.

It's either steet fighter or 04-06 CBR 600RR body work.

griso.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's mine, a work in progress.

Minor detail, but did you switch the collection between cylinders? From the first VFR depicted, the front downpipes cross over, and yours don't. On purpose?

• Member Contributer

Minor detail, but did you switch the collection between cylinders? From the first VFR depicted, the front downpipes cross over, and yours don't. On purpose?

Looks like a giant insect getting ready to prey! You cut down the stock rear body plastic? What rear light did you use? I must have looked at hundreds front ends and I like the Moto Guzzi above look a lot. So far the only thing I have decided is to paint the engine satin black or at least a dark grey.

Chris

Well its at least half on purpose. When I got the bike given to me the headers were already in that configuration, after putting a motor in it I noticed the difference and went to remove the head pipes, and they were stuck solid in the collector from being rusted. So I did the logical thing and fitted it to the motor to see if it would work. Sure enough both pipes fit right into the exhaust ports nice and flush, so I said the hell with it I'm not gonna go to the trouble of changing them back if this is gonna work.

I think it looks better.

Also, i'm using a cannabilized stock rear light notched and flipped over to fit flush into the subframe at the angle that my tail is chopped at. I'm looking at using a GSXR600 or 1000 subframe and tail fairing soon though, the body work has seen better days and so has the subframe. I think it will be a nice upgrade.

Archived