Thinking of going to naked on 4th gen

• Member Contributer

Here's mine, a work in progress.

Minor detail, but did you switch the collection between cylinders? From the first VFR depicted, the front downpipes cross over, and yours don't. On purpose?

Well its at least half on purpose. When I got the bike given to me the headers were already in that configuration, after putting a motor in it I noticed the difference and went to remove the head pipes, and they were stuck solid in the collector from being rusted. So I did the logical thing and fitted it to the motor to see if it would work. Sure enough both pipes fit right into the exhaust ports nice and flush, so I said the hell with it I'm not gonna go to the trouble of changing them back if this is gonna work.

I think it looks better.

Also, i'm using a cannabilized stock rear light notched and flipped over to fit flush into the subframe at the angle that my tail is chopped at. I'm looking at using a GSXR600 or 1000 subframe and tail fairing soon though, the body work has seen better days and so has the subframe. I think it will be a nice upgrade.

What year subframe is the best fit? It's aluminum right?

Yeah, most newer stuff is aluminum. As far as a best fit, there really isn't one, you have to modify any of them to fit properly, just a matter of how much. Theres a guy with a build thread on here now that hass the GSXR1000 tail and complete bodywork, I think his stuff is 01-02. I'm also still considering the 99-07 'Busa subframe too.

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Not sure how to add pictures from the mobile version of the site, but some of this is stuff that my bike ended up with. There's definitely room for some quality improvement, but I've got a single round light on a naked 96. I've got an acewell dash now, and I've had just a cheap tach too. The sub frame on my bike is from a 99 gixxer 600 I think. There are definitely prettier bikes than mine, but mines been on it's side three times and not once did it make my heart drop.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody ever try an after market half fairing or something at all? The fairings on my bike went to crap 6 months ago, I had to repair some of the clip mounts with plastic from work and plastiweld. But, on one windy day my father and I ran our circle through the indian reservation/superstition mountains out here in AZ and I was missing a huge chunk out of one side and the left side was cracked all the way through. I always made sure the fasteners were well kept and secure, but was very sad to see a VFR go from pristine to ghetto in one ride. The rear end is not very pretty either as I had to fuse it together with plastiweld and create a structure under the right turn signal because I almost lost both the tailight and turn signal riding to school one day due to the plastic breaking into pieces.

Long story short I have owned the bike since early 2008 and have ridden the snot out of it. It first started with a hairline crack on the rear fairing then went downhill slowly after that. Just depressing to watch a great looking bike degrade like that.

Archived